5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RamLink83

Reaction score
you had a loaner for 7 weeks???

I hope it is at least fixed ...fixed right
I'd probably lemon the truck if it was in the shop for 7 weeks. In PA if the truck is in the shop for over 30 days in the first year of ownership it can be lemoned.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did you get it installed already? was that a long process?

Dealer just called to tell me they didn’t inspect the glass when the package arrived...

They just opened the package and found several deep scratches along with a small chip in the glass.

So they are ordering a new one and my wait for a replacement continues.

Barqs

Reaction score
Truck is back home. Glass replaced, along with a new trim piece on the back side near the seatbelt from where they broke a clip pulling the old one off. So far the only blemish I've found is a grease stain on the headliner in about the same spot as one of my many water stains. I'll work on those once I verify it's no longer leaking. As others have shown, my paperwork appears to say they replaced the glass with an "AC" and not an "AD" part, but they assured me it was the latest and had a March 2021 manufacture date.

Attachments

• new window paperwork.jpg
    new window paperwork.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 84
  • new window 1.jpg
    new window 1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 82
  • new window 2.jpg
    new window 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 76
  • new window centered.jpg
    new window centered.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 81

Barqs

Reaction score
If anyone was wondering, I asked the RAM Cares case agent about the repair warranty on the back glass and she told me it would be good for 2 years and unlimited mileage. I asked twice to be sure it was unlimited mileage, and she said I would be covered from now until April 15, 2023 regardless of how many miles I've driven. Given the fact they replaced my window with an "AC" that looks identical, I suspect I'll be seeing another crack in the next year or two, but I hope I'm wrong.

yellowboy

Reaction score
That stinks, so the 3/36 doesn't mean much ! Wonder if a replacement window starts leaking --shouldn't that be 2 years from when it was installed ? There must be some kind of parts warranty ??

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
That stinks, so the 3/36 doesn't mean much ! Wonder if a replacement window starts leaking --shouldn't that be 2 years from when it was installed ? There must be some kind of parts warranty ??
I think that is what they are saying, 2 years unlimited on the part and I assume installation of the part

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
After talking with FCA, they couldn’t advise any repairs until it was officially looked at by the dealer. It was looked at today and indeed the window frame is cracked. I immediately contacted FCA after picking my truck up and all that they could say is that they would have to contact the dealer to get the official report. Since I am over my mileage even though the vehicle is only two years old that there will be some sort of co-pay to replace the window regardless of the fact that the dealer said that FCA should pick this up because it’s a known issue for 2019. I also inquired about if they would cover window tint, since the window is defective. Dealer placed that in the report, FCA said no right off the bat.

In my mind, this should be covered 100% by FCA. It is not a wearable item or damaged caused by myself but a manufacturing defect. Yes I am over the mileage warranty but not 3 years.

We will see where this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barqs

Reaction score
After talking with FCA, they couldn’t advise any repairs until it was officially looked at by the dealer. It was looked at today and indeed the window frame is cracked. I immediately contacted FCA after picking my truck up and all that they could say is that they would have to contact the dealer to get the official report. Since I am over my mileage even though the vehicle is only two years old that there will be some sort of co-pay to replace the window regardless of the fact that the dealer said that FCA should pick this up because it’s a known issue for 2019. I also inquired about if they would cover window tint, since the window is defective. Dealer placed that in the report, FCA said no right off the bat.

In my mind, this should be covered 100% by FCA. It is not a wearable item or damaged caused by myself but a manufacturing defect. Yes I am over the mileage warranty but not 3 years.

I had a similar situation several years ago with my Durango. We were well over the 3/36 mileage, but had a TIPM issue that the dealer knew was an ongoing problem nationwide but there were no active recalls or TSBs on it yet. The resolution between the dealership and Dodge was that Dodge "gifted" the part but I still had to pay the dealership for the labor. They replaced the $1400 TIPM and I paid the $150 labor and was happy we came to that agreement.

But what sucked was that once the recall was issued, Dodge refused to refund me the $150 because the recall called for bypassing the fuel pump relay with an external relay like a shade tree mechanic would do, and not replacing the faulty TIPMs. They applied the recall and bypassed my fuel pump relay with one that bolted to the radiator support. Of course that recall was subsequently recalled too, but I got rid of the Durango before that happened. SMH

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I honestly wouldn’t have asked about the tint until after they approved the window replacement.

They could try to blame the tint guy that “improper install” caused the cracks

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t have asked about the tint until after they approved the window replacement.

They could try to blame the tint guy that “improper install” caused the cracks

worse things have been done by the dealers ...sadly

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes grandcherokee and then switchd out to a Ram, they gave me the choice to leave it there or take it home and wait for the parts once they were ordered, no brainer for me.. rained hard here for two days been checking all storm, all good
so far..

QUOTE="Rick_Hunts, post: 438043, member: 62134"]
you had a loaner for 7 weeks???

I hope it is at least fixed ...fixed right
[/QUOTE]

SadiEJays

Reaction score
How long has everyone been waiting for windows my dealer said they have a guys on order for over 3 months now and i just got looked at last week.
My dealer is one of the larger dealers in the SE. Mine took less than 10 days from approval to getting the window and installed. Mine hasn't leaked and has been rained on pretty hard and has been washed twice. They seemed to have done a fairly good job on the window, but they did mess up my new tonneau cover. Kinda pissed about that but I was able to fix it after about an hour but shouldn't have had to fix it in all honesty.

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
My dealer is one of the larger dealers in the SE. Mine took less than 10 days from approval to getting the window and installed. Mine hasn't leaked and has been rained on pretty hard and has been washed twice. They seemed to have done a fairly good job on the window, but they did mess up my new tonneau cover. Kinda pissed about that but I was able to fix it after about an hour but shouldn't have had to fix it in all honesty.
Did you have the truck with the dealer for the full 10 days?

Toolbox

Reaction score
Looks like I’m joining the club. 2019 ram rebel. Noticed a musty smell in the cab a few weeks ago and have been reading these pages trying to figure out what’s going on. Found water behind my driver and passenger rear seats. Headliner is dry but found water dripping/streaming down the rear windows on both sides. I checked the sunroof drains and they look ok. 3rd brake light looks ok too.
Has anyone seen water dripping like this down both sides? I’m thinking it’s a bad rear window seal.

Appointment at the dealership Wednesday

Attachments

• DD71C995-481A-40AA-BC1D-1B9F431797F4.jpeg
    DD71C995-481A-40AA-BC1D-1B9F431797F4.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2550760E-9861-4639-8398-4CFFAEEE85F9.jpeg
    2550760E-9861-4639-8398-4CFFAEEE85F9.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 58

jayp1919

Reaction score
I've got the leaking and cracked frame on my 2020 Laramie. The cracks are above the edges of the sliding glass window on each side. I made an appointment for 3/29, sat there for 2 hours and they told me they needed to make another appointment for them to go through it more. Dropped it back off on 4/5, and the service advisor tried to set the expectation that this might not be covered but he thought it would be fine. I got a call back today finally (2 weeks later) asking me to pick it up unrepaired while they "deal with Chrysler on if it will be warranty or not". I asked how can a leaking window not be covered during the bumper to bumper warranty and he said that his service manager is working with Chrysler but these decisions are above him.

The truck as 8500 miles on it....has anyone had an issue with them denying warranty for this? I have messaged Ram Cares here and also opened a case with Ram customer service.

Thanks

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
I've got the leaking and cracked frame on my 2020 Laramie. The cracks are above the edges of the sliding glass window on each side. I made an appointment for 3/29, sat there for 2 hours and they told me they needed to make another appointment for them to go through it more. Dropped it back off on 4/5, and the service advisor tried to set the expectation that this might not be covered but he thought it would be fine. I got a call back today finally (2 weeks later) asking me to pick it up unrepaired while they "deal with Chrysler on if it will be warranty or not". I asked how can a leaking window not be covered during the bumper to bumper warranty and he said that his service manager is working with Chrysler but these decisions are above him.

The truck as 8500 miles on it....has anyone had an issue with them denying warranty for this? I have messaged Ram Cares here and also opened a case with Ram customer service.

Thanks
wow

your truck sat there for 2 weeks???

Barqs

Reaction score
Looks like I’m joining the club. 2019 ram rebel. Noticed a musty smell in the cab a few weeks ago and have been reading these pages trying to figure out what’s going on. Found water behind my driver and passenger rear seats. Headliner is dry but found water dripping/streaming down the rear windows on both sides. I checked the sunroof drains and they look ok. 3rd brake light looks ok too.
Has anyone seen water dripping like this down both sides? I’m thinking it’s a bad rear window seal.

Appointment at the dealership Wednesday
That's pretty much what happened with mine. Found the carpet soaked under the rear seats, but never noticed any water spots on the headliner until later on. The leak seemed to travel down both sides of the window with hardly any indications of the source. The headliner dries quickly, so unless you go out while it's leaking you may never see it. My window frame was cracked in two places and the gaps were wide enough to almost see through them. Window was finally replaced last week but it hasn't rained enough to see if everything is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread