5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I called my dealer today - it's been 2 1/2 weeks since they found my leak. They said they are still waiting for five windows they have ordered. Not sure if they are for 5 different trucks or all for my truck in case the first four new ones all leak !

Barqs

Reaction score
I called my dealer today - it's been 2 1/2 weeks since they found my leak. They said they are still waiting for five windows they have ordered. Not sure if they are for 5 different trucks or all for my truck in case the first four new ones all leak !

I got told today that my window was in but when they tried to install it they learned it was the wrong part, so they'll be ordering me another one. Funny thing is, they don't even have my truck. Head scratcher!

Echance01

Reaction score
I got told today that my window was in but when they tried to install it they learned it was the wrong part, so they'll be ordering me another one. Funny thing is, they don't even have my truck. Head scratcher!

Wow. Yes these trucks have a few problems (I guess it’s expected with a new generation truck). But these dealerships makes the problems exponentially worse with how crappy they can be.

Echance01

Reaction score
Just got a call from my dealer. They are replacing the 3rd brake light housing and have the rear window on order. Was told it’s on a national backorder and have a tentative date of 3/24. We will see if that date sticks.

NoCrow

Reaction score
Same date
Just got a call from my dealer. They are replacing the 3rd brake light housing and have the rear window on order. Was told it’s on a national backorder and have a tentative date of 3/24. We will see if that date sticks.
Same date i was given a month ago.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mines been at the dealer since feb 9th for replacemnt window, they gave me a loaner Ram 1500 that has 1300 miles on it and its leaking also, my window is due to get shipped march 25th to the dealer...they gave me a choice to leave it with them and take a loaner or they culd put it all back together and they would call me when it came in to drop truck off etc.. easy decision took the loaner

Barqs

Reaction score
First storm has passed and my tape job was a complete failure. The water runs down the side roof drains which dump directly into the window channel on either side, and that's why so much water is leaking into the rear of the cab on mine. I tried sealing up all around the window but the water from the drain still channeled underneath. I put a towel across the back seat behind the headrests but it didn't catch much of it. The carpet is soaked again. Looks like I'll be parking it somewhere safe as the next two or three storm systems pass. Tomorrow's forecast is for much worse than just rain, so it's probably a good idea to seek shelter anyway. Three more weeks before my replacement window is due to arrive. :-(

SadiEJays

Reaction score
Mine was cracked but wasn’t leaking but this morning i it was raining and I checked and it’s leaking. Sucks ***. Took by dealer for the photos and waiting to hear back as to the remedy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SadiEJays

Reaction score
Just noticed I have the same thing as well....no leaking that I’m aware of but will probably take it in before it gets worse. Crap. Has anyone had problems at the dealership with this or is this covered under warranty?

Mine was the same but this morning it started leaking. I should have taken mine in months ago but I thought I’d be lucky and mine would be the lucky few that cracked and wouldn’t leak. No dice. If you haven’t already, take it in. Don’t wait for the inevitable. Sucks so bad because these are really great trucks but this problem seriously shouldn’t exist. Come on Ram.

awsomo4k

Reaction score
So I was driving with family in the rain the other day and was told by my passenger the rear window was leaking. I take the truck in and they scheduled an appointment. While I was looking at it I noticed a crack in the top plastic window surround called the service advisor who said he thought it was supposed to be like that. I go see a friends and notice not crack. Took the truck back in today and the parts manager then comes looks at it and says oh yeah that’s not normal. And we will probably have to order an entire new rear window. What is going on with the quality control with Ram these days.
Yep, it will leak.... I have a 2019 Limited 44k, cracked and leaking. It seems every problem out there with this truck I seem to have and of course the dealer won't do anything. Love the truck, but sadly this will be my 1st and last Ram.

Ramster

Reaction score
Mine has been in to the dealership twice for a leak. First time Jan. 29 and this time Feb. 4 and have not heard one word. Called today and left a message and no call back. I have their loaner ( Jeep Gran Cherokee) so they can keep it till May 1st when I will need another loaner (truck) to haul my camper.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First storm has passed and my tape job was a complete failure. The water runs down the side roof drains which dump directly into the window channel on either side, and that's why so much water is leaking into the rear of the cab on mine. I tried sealing up all around the window but the water from the drain still channeled underneath. I put a towel across the back seat behind the headrests but it didn't catch much of it. The carpet is soaked again. Looks like I'll be parking it somewhere safe as the next two or three storm systems pass. Tomorrow's forecast is for much worse than just rain, so it's probably a good idea to seek shelter anyway. Three more weeks before my replacement window is due to arrive. :-(

That’s not possible since it’s the glass is sloped away from center. Are you parking on an angle? Did you tape around the gap between brake light and body? Why would you put tape? All it takes is a 2 inch wide seam of sealant over the cracks on the outside and your done. Why put tape all over the glass of a new truck? You might have a brake light seal leak as well. Water doesn’t pour in so much through the crack that it would soak carpets Trust me I’m on my 3rd glass so I’ve seen it all when it comes to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark313

Reaction score
My dealer called on Friday 3/12 and to tell me my window was in and to get a date for the install since he had to coordinate with the glass guy in to do the job. Everything came together for the install to be done this Monday the 15th. I dropped the truck off at 0730 they gave me a loaner to drive for the day. Picked my truck up at 430 and all is well at his point. Took 13 total days total!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is leaking, no cracks visible anywhere. Waiting for window to come in - 2 weeks now. I have the truck and can't garage it. If it starts getting worse I'm going back to dealer for some help on how to keep it under cover.

Just noticed I have the same thing as well....no leaking that I’m aware of but will probably take it in before it gets worse. Crap. Has anyone had problems at the dealership with this or is this covered under warranty?

mines been at the dealer since feb 9th for replacemnt window, they gave me a loaner Ram 1500 that has 1300 miles on it and its leaking also, my window is due to get shipped march 25th to the dealer...they gave me a choice to leave it with them and take a loaner or they culd put it all back together and they would call me when it came in to drop truck off etc.. easy decision took the loaner

Mine was cracked but wasn’t leaking but this morning i it was raining and I checked and it’s leaking. Sucks ***. Took by dealer for the photos and waiting to hear back as to the remedy.

Yep, it will leak.... I have a 2019 Limited 44k, cracked and leaking. It seems every problem out there with this truck I seem to have and of course the dealer won't do anything. Love the truck, but sadly this will be my 1st and last Ram.

Mine has been in to the dealership twice for a leak. First time Jan. 29 and this time Feb. 4 and have not heard one word. Called today and left a message and no call back. I have their loaner ( Jeep Gran Cherokee) so they can keep it till May 1st when I will need another loaner (truck) to haul my camper.
Hello everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with this water leak concern. We would like you to know that our team is available to you for additional support when addressing this with your dealer. Should you face any trouble with a part delay or have questions regarding your dealer service, please let us know. We are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf via private message to ensure that your concerns are fully addressed and resolved with the upmost care!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Barqs

Reaction score
That’s not possible since it’s the glass is sloped away from center. Are you parking on an angle? Did you tape around the gap between brake light and body? Why would you put tape? All it takes is a 2 inch wide seam of sealant over the cracks on the outside and your done. Why put tape all over the glass of a new truck? You might have a brake light seal leak as well. Water doesn’t pour in so much through the crack that it would soak carpets Trust me I’m on my 3rd glass so I’ve seen it all when it comes to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear what you are saying but I'm telling you I was watching the water drip into my cab from the crack areas at an alarming rate during a recent storm. But you may be correct that that the issue goes beyond just the window and my 3rd brake light may also be leaking. However I have not noticed any discoloration around that area in my headliner, which is usually a tell that it's the 3rd brake light. But not always. I'll have them check it when my window gets in.

As for why tape, I wanted to do something temporary to attempt to keep my carpet from getting moldy while waiting nearly 30 days for a replacement window since I cannot park in the garage. I didn't want to apply sealer or anything permanent since they are repairing my truck under warranty. If I was out of warranty and on my own, I'd do that and then sell it.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Welp add me to the list of people with leaking along the rear of the headliner, we're having some bad storms now and after my daughter said she felt water we stopped and I was watching it drip in fairly quickly (compared to the NONE you expect), so I suppose I'll have to call the dealership since she had to spend a good portion of the winter outside I'm worried about any potentially moldy spots now.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp add me to the list of people with leaking along the rear of the headliner, we're having some bad storms now and after my daughter said she felt water we stopped and I was watching it drip in fairly quickly (compared to the NONE you expect), so I suppose I'll have to call the dealership since she had to spend a good portion of the winter outside I'm worried about any potentially moldy spots now.
Sorry to hear of another rear leak problem.

Unless it was wet for an extremely long time, I doubt you'll have a mold problem. The headliner shell is made from a durable hard resin and most cloth or cloth-like materials used in automotive service nowadays contain mold resistance materials or a antifungicide which prevent mycotoxins from forming.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047554 miles.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
31k miles on my '19. Back window replaced about a year ago. I now have 3 cracks and leaking again. Any one on their 3rd window???

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online