5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is leaking, no cracks visible anywhere. Waiting for window to come in - 2 weeks now. I have the truck and can't garage it. If it starts getting worse I'm going back to dealer for some help on how to keep it under cover.
I also had leaks without visible cracks that my dealer sealed up, waiting for the cracks to become visible to have it replaced with the new updated window assembly.

hoodac78

Reaction score
Mine is leaking, no cracks visible anywhere. Waiting for window to come in - 2 weeks now. I have the truck and can't garage it. If it starts getting worse I'm going back to dealer for some help on how to keep it under cover.
If yours doesn't have any visible cracks, it may be possible it is the high mounted break light or the shark fin antenna that is the source of your leak.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if beefing up the structure around the window would help, and then "floating" the window in the opening?

Of course, the cost for that would be far more than a new window. Guess FCA will just keep swapping glass...
The window is a bad part from the supplier (unless both manufacturers are doing something wrong on the assembly line). GM uses the same supplier and those guys are having the same issue we are.

I also had leaks without visible cracks that my dealer sealed up, waiting for the cracks to become visible to have it replaced with the new updated window assembly.
Mine initially were almost invisible. When it rained and I noticed the moisture I parked on an uneven surface to articulate the suspension and "twist" the truck. This made the crack noticeable and I snapped some pictures to show the service guy when I took the truck in.

That worked in my favor as the dealership lot is flat at the service section so the pictures painted a different picture than what the service writer saw (even though the STAR Case has you run your fingernail across the blemish to determine if it's a crack or seam). The pictures made it a slam dunk for approval.

If yours doesn't have any visible cracks, it may be possible it is the high mounted break light or the shark fin antenna that is the source of your leak.
That will usually result in a wet headliner as well. The window frame crack will start at the window (obviously) and drip down the back of the cab (and possibly the rear bench depending on how bad the leak is).

I'm not sure if they remove the CHSML for the window replacement but once you break that initial seal from the factory it seems to be more miss than hit for the CHSML gasket to re-seal.

My truck lives outside.

It was over a month between noticing the crack, getting the repair approved, and having the rear window replaced. I had a couple of old bath towels that I used to wedge between the rear bench and window frame to soak up the water. I would put one back there and when it started to feel damp I swapped it with the other one so I always had a dry towel in there to prevent any long-term moisture damage.

Last edited:

Barqs

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to successfully apply an external tape or other temporary seal method and get to stop leaking while waiting for the replacement window? I was looking at mine yesterday and I'm afraid much of the water may come from the drip rails on both sides which appear to feed into the window channel at the back. I can tape along the window frame but I'm not sure how I'd stop the water from coming from those drip rails. I need to do something as my window is not scheduled to arrive until the end of the month and we are likely to see 8-10" of rain in the next three weeks. I can't park it in my garage either.

Also wondering how they are addressing the potential mold issue as part of the remedy? Has anyone had the carpet and/or padding pulled up while replacing their window to see if there is life underneath? Mine is already developing the musty funk odor and I'm worried it's in the padding now.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to successfully apply an external tape or other temporary seal method and get to stop leaking while waiting for the replacement window? I was looking at mine yesterday and I'm afraid much of the water may come from the drip rails on both sides which appear to feed into the window channel at the back. I can tape along the window frame but I'm not sure how I'd stop the water from coming from those drip rails. I need to do something as my window is not scheduled to arrive until the end of the month and we are likely to see 8-10" of rain in the next three weeks. I can't park it in my garage either.

Also wondering how they are addressing the potential mold issue as part of the remedy? Has anyone had the carpet and/or padding pulled up while replacing their window to see if there is life underneath? Mine is already developing the musty funk odor and I'm worried it's in the padding now.
Dealers have been hesitant on replacing interior items that get damaged by this water leak. If I was waiting weeks for a replacement window I would run a bead of clear silicone along the top and half way down the sides in the window channel. It shouldn’t hinder the window replacement.

tonyplants

Reaction score

I used painters tape on top of rear window and down sides...there's pictures of various temporary fixes in this thread of hundreds...you could do same the 3rd brake light...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SteelCityRags

Reaction score
Can you tell if there is anything different about It? Doesn't look like they switched to a metal.

Nope, it’s still plastic but it doesn’t have stress/fatigue lines that the previous windshield did where the crack developed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SteelCityRags

Reaction score
Is this window the new part # ?

1255d5281f5dcbced9371963f4f13e32.jpg

From what I’ve seen on here so far, it’s not the newest revision (still the AC p/n)

The good thing is I took it through the car wash 3 days after the replacement and no leaks so we’ll see how things go over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NoCrow

Reaction score
I g

I found this at home depot today. Applied and it's almost invisible. Water resistant and uv resistant as well. Covered window top seam and around brake light

3M 1.88 in. x 20 yds. Clear Repair Tape

Barqs

Reaction score
I g

I found this at home depot today. Applied and it's almost invisible. Water resistant and uv resistant as well. Covered window top seam and around brake light

3M 1.88 in. x 20 yds. Clear Repair Tape
How easy do you think it will be to remove after a month or two in the sun?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I’ve seen on here so far, it’s not the newest revision (still the AC p/n)

The good thing is I took it through the car wash 3 days after the replacement and no leaks so we’ll see how things go over time
I remember reading tha as well. Mine was replaced with the same part number (AC). I asked for the "new" part number and they said that was it.

Could the dealership be mistaken? Yep. Could a user on a forum be mistaken? Yep. Could information posted a year ago not be relevant any more? Yep.

Regardless of who's right or what the right answer is my 'AC' window replacement has been holding up well since it was replaced almost a year ago (June 2020).

Barqs

Reaction score
I remember reading tha as well. Mine was replaced with the same part number (AC). I asked for the "new" part number and they said that was it.

Could the dealership be mistaken? Yep. Could a user on a forum be mistaken? Yep. Could information posted a year ago not be relevant any more? Yep.

Regardless of who's right or what the right answer is my 'AC' window replacement has been holding up well since it was replaced almost a year ago (June 2020).
RAMcares informed me that inventory of the "old" windows was purged in November 2020, so any windows being sent to the dealerships for repair are from the latest and greatest supply. I guess time will tell if the issue has been resolved, but it's good to hear your repair has lasted 9 months without issue.

NoCrow

Reaction score
How easy do you think it will be to remove after a month or two in the sun?
Well it's uv resistant so I'm hoping it won't like harden on or anything. But like I said my new window will be put in in about 3 weeks so I may peel off and reapply in-between then and now especially if there is no rain in the forecast. But it's still cold here in Sacramento so I'm not worried about getting baked in the sun.

Ryan19Ram

Reaction score
Joining the Club! Just noticed my first crack today. Truck is at dealership, waiting to hear back the verdict. 🙄

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 66

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Well it's uv resistant so I'm hoping it won't like harden on or anything. But like I said my new window will be put in in about 3 weeks so I may peel off and reapply in-between then and now especially if there is no rain in the forecast. But it's still cold here in Sacramento so I'm not worried about getting baked in the sun.
Which dealer in the SAC area is doing the repair ?

Ramguy90

Reaction score
Just noticed I have the same thing as well....no leaking that I’m aware of but will probably take it in before it gets worse. Crap. Has anyone had problems at the dealership with this or is this covered under warranty?

Attachments

• BB4B6231-256E-4401-B615-2FBB367FD9C8.jpeg
    BB4B6231-256E-4401-B615-2FBB367FD9C8.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 49

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I've heard of since the STAR Case came out.

Make sure you show them that picture in case it's harder to see when it's parked at the dealership.

Looking at your picture it looks like it did leak (stain on the slider frame).

Last edited:

bpwj76

Reaction score
I noticed a crack on either side of my sliding window a day or two after I purchased the truck CPO back in January of this year. The truck had 14,700 miles on it. I didn't see any obvious signs of leaking, so I didn't look into it further. Well, we had an ice storm here the second week of February. The first wash after the storm, which was probably end of February, I noticed water streaming down the passenger side of the rear window. It was pooling (several drops) on the floor behind the seat back. I called the dealer and made an appointment to have it looked at on 3/9/21. A service advisor came out, took some pics with his phone, and said he'd order a new window and have it sublet to a local glass company for install. I was in and out of the dealer in about 5 minutes. Now just waiting on the window to come in.

Attachments

• Water Leak in Truck.jpg
    Water Leak in Truck.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 70

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score

I used a good 4” wide packing tape.... worked like a charm

Users who are viewing this thread