5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to Safelite glass and had them repair the back window? My dealership's price to fix my truck is $1522 to replace the window! I don't have that kind of money. This really should be a manufacture repair!!! BS!!

A few people have but those are the ones who opted to just get the non sliding window installed that the tradesman uses Cost like 600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djants

Reaction score
Dealer replaced my rear window and third break light. Took day and half, free loaner car. They used 3rd party to seal the new glass. Hope never leaks again.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well let us know how it goes, If you can also post the part #'s of the window and third brake light if its on your repair order when you pick it up

Interesting...the only part listed on the invoice was the rear windshield. I guess we’ll see. (Need to order stickers now)

7831198bf89c0f4c1e709ed25a7f66af.jpg

RamLink83

Reaction score
Interesting...the only part listed on the invoice was the rear windshield. I guess we’ll see. (Need to order stickers now)

7831198bf89c0f4c1e709ed25a7f66af.jpg

Does this new rear window look any different than the one that was on from factory? I think this is the supposed new updated part based on the part number on your invoice.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does this new rear window look any different than the one that was on from factory? I think this is the supposed new updated part based on the part number on your invoice.

Just went out to look lol. I couldn’t notice any differences but here’s a couple shots, maybe someone can spot something. My guess would be any changes would be internal, it was the frame that was cracking right?

8b8d5e9d04a787d7f27103ee6b4ae68e.jpg

51fb25b4ca01038f4ffb339593e7fb43.jpg

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Here is the new Part #'s for the backlite window assembly

Attachments

• Image 2-11-21 at 2.40 PM.jpg
    Image 2-11-21 at 2.40 PM.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 75

tonyplants

Reaction score
Here's info on mine replaced 11/19/2019. Info posted on this thread from page 5 of 69!

Attachments

• 20191118_211041.jpg
    20191118_211041.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 67
  • 850106ac3067fdd66e7b6668dfb9aea4.jpg
    850106ac3067fdd66e7b6668dfb9aea4.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they replace the third brake light ?

They said they were going to...not on the invoice though. They also told me it was brake light when I brought it in and said nothing about the rear windshield being replaced. So...we wait and see

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
finally made it to the dealer.... I have a leak from headliner (probably from the brake light) and a crack in the bezel... they are ordering me a new rear window and brake light. Problem is they can’t even order it until March or April.... so sounds like the redesign is in process and the info posted in this thread is accurate.

appears the part numbers are all over the place, did a google search of the new part numbers listed above and nothing comes up for the new rear glass or the third brake light. Where are these part numbers coming from and can anyone confirm that those are truly the new numbers that we should be looking for And what exactly is the redesign ?

also of note, there appears to be 4 different rear glass assemblies.... ? Fixed glass ( no slider ) , manual slider, power slider, and power slider with defrost... ?

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Here is the new Part #'s for the backlite window assembly
Mine is a 2019 Crew cab Lonestar Edition,Born in May of 2019,and I noticed my replacement plastic on the window Assembly,(as seen from the inside) was about 1/16th to 1/8th shorter on the top reveal.
Mine got replaced in January of 2020.
I notice a leak in the area again two days ago,But I see no evidence of a Crack this time.
Maybe my Brake light is leaking,even though it was also replaced a week before the window.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
finally made it to the dealer.... I have a leak from headliner (probably from the brake light) and a crack in the bezel... they are ordering me a new rear window and brake light. Problem is they can’t even order it until March or April.... so sounds like the redesign is in process and the info posted in this thread is accurate.

appears the part numbers are all over the place, did a google search of the new part numbers listed above and nothing comes up for the new rear glass or the third brake light. Where are these part numbers coming from and can anyone confirm that those are truly the new numbers that we should be looking for And what exactly is the redesign ?

also of note, there appears to be 4 different rear glass assemblies.... ? Fixed glass ( no slider ) , manual slider, power slider, and power slider with defrost... ?
My Truck is a 2019 Lonestar Edition New Body style Crew Cab Born May 2019. (I bought the Truck in July with 11 miles on it)
I had a leak,and the dealer first replaced the third Brake light. ( I had told them it was likely the Crack I could see)
When I gently applied water to the window area only,I could see water going inside.
The Dealer Replaced my window assembly a week later in January of 2020.
I do not see any cracks a year later,but I did notice I have a slight leak again,,,,Noticed it two days ago.
I am thinking the Brake light again again possibly?
My replacement window surround is slightly different from the original dimentionally,By about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch on the top plastic reveal.
I think I have the newer Window replacement...But I am not certain.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
They said they were going to...not on the invoice though. They also told me it was brake light when I brought it in and said nothing about the rear windshield being replaced. So...we wait and see

Apply a gentle flow of water to the areas below the brake light assembly at the window only,(Mine was just to the Left) and see if You observe water getting in.
I also had a Visible crack you could see with a Flashlight.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Just went out to look lol. I couldn’t notice any differences but here’s a couple shots, maybe someone can spot something. My guess would be any changes would be internal, it was the frame that was cracking right?

8b8d5e9d04a787d7f27103ee6b4ae68e.jpg

51fb25b4ca01038f4ffb339593e7fb43.jpg

The top plastic reveal above the window as seen from the inside does not look as tall as the original,,,,that is also what I noticed on My Replacement.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
To correct that post from a few days ago. Part # 68545973AA is a gasket / weather stripping strip that is applied to Third Brake Light Part #68298380AE to create a double gasket around the top of the light. You will also need new screws and have tightened to 2.8MN / 24" lbs. (DO NOT USE OLD SCREWS)

Ram is currently working on a new REDESIGN third brake light which will be #68298380AG (AG) which is not going to be available till end of March 2021 or early April 2021.

Also Third Brake Light Part #68298380AE & #68298380AF is no longer available it has been discontinued - So it looks like Ram knows they have issues with the light.

So I will have to wait unit March or April to get a dealer to address this issue or Order a new Third brake light and replace it myself.

There is a new part # for the Rear windows but they are all on backorder also.
What is he new part number for the window, so I can bounce that off of my Receipt when i find it?
I think Mine is a New design one but it may not be the Newest one.
Eric

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Hi @Sascwatch. At this time, we are not aware of any additional support for these concerns. However, we would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to be discussed further alongside a dealer service. Please do not hesitate to reach out when support is needed.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
My Lonestar Edition Crew Cab (New body style) Born May 2019, now has 16,000 miles on it,had the rear window assembly replaced after the Dealer replaced the third Brake Light.
I had visible cracks,and tste it with a gentle flow of water to the cracked area only.
They replaced the window assembly in January 2020.
Something is leaking again,slightly,but I see no visible cracks. What do I do t this point??
If my window is cracking again, will the replacement be covered again??
Let me Know,
Eric

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Our team would like to inform you that as of November dealer part inventory has been changed. STAR S2023000005 online has been updated and our dealer stock has been purged of all outdated parts. Should future incidents arise or if current service is required, we would be happy to assist in getting this updated repair completed alongside your dealer. Feel free to follow up with us in a private message if you have any additional questions!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
I sent a Message to RAM Cares....I as not able to attach your name to it,so..Have a Look.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Leak check it regularly. Trust me they will leak with or without cracks. Picking mine up today after the 3rd window replacement.
Did FCA pay for it all three times??
Mine is leaking again.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Did FCA pay for it all three times??
Mine is leaking again.
Yes. Its still under warranty. FCA has been pretty responsible in taking care of it. I did switch dealerships after the first two windows. The new Dealership is awesome. The last one was not so great and their glass subcontractor was absolutely the worst.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Mine is a 2019 Crew cab Lonestar Edition,Born in May of 2019,and I noticed my replacement plastic on the window Assembly,(as seen from the inside) was about 1/16th to 1/8th shorter on the top reveal.
Mine got replaced in January of 2020.
I notice a leak in the area again two days ago,But I see no evidence of a Crack this time.
Maybe my Brake light is leaking,even though it was also replaced a week before the window.
Wait for the new redesign 3rd brake light which should be available by April if you do not have any cracks in the window frame, You will also need new screws, they are now a Torx screw not a Phillips screw .

Users who are viewing this thread