5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Gs72174

Reaction score
Well damnit. I just looked in my backseat this morning and found a puddle in my backseat. Noticed a crack on the window surround and found water coming out of that crack.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I called a dealership that’s an hour away because they have the customer first award. There’s a dealership right across the street from where I work but I’ve had nothing but issues with them and another one 30 mins away but since neither one of those two have this award. Anyways, the guy on the phone said they’d need to call their glass guy. So I’m crossing my fingers.

Mr.G

Reaction score
The area in the pic above is the circle on the right. The circle on the left is where the smaller crack that I found the previous day was. View attachment 75259
I always thought the leak was from the crack in the trim inside. Is that where it appears and the leak is actually coming in from the outside around the window ? I thought people were putting a sealant inside to seal the leak.

GoingHawgWyld

Reaction score
Went to look at my 2020 with 500 miles and found this. Appears it is just starting to crack in two places. No water leaks yet...

Attachments

• Rear window crack1A.jpg
    Rear window crack1A.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 112

James1414d

Reaction score
I wonder if it's body flex over time causing these cracks. Mine was replaced late last week. I also got a replacement 3rd brake light housing replaced. Hopefully tge cracks wont return!

Duane

Reaction score
Hey, not sure if this specific & detailed has already been posted; if not I hope it is of some aid & information to the group!
I've had the (cracked rear window frame) issue as well on (one of my two) '19 RAMs; was successfully repaired under warranty by my very fine local dealer.
And yes, even the new-production replacement window had a 'Made in CN' (communist China) Mopar parts sticker on it. So very regrettable, for so many reasons.

Attachments

• STAR Case # S2023000024 Water Leak Rear Of Cab Rear Seat Or Headliner-2019 RAM.pdf
    305.2 KB · Views: 58

jtread4

Reaction score
Hey, not sure if this specific & detailed has already been posted; if not I hope it is of some aid & information to the group!
I've had the (cracked rear window frame) issue as well on (one of my two) '19 RAMs; was successfully repaired under warranty by my very fine local dealer.
And yes, even the new-production replacement window had a 'Made in CN' (communist China) Mopar parts sticker on it. So very regrettable, for so many reasons.

This is great. I’m just dropping mine off at the dealer now and this looks to be exactly my issue. Thanks for including this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdschadler

Reaction score
Still waiting for the window to arrive at the dealer... officially a month now. I call them every week. In the meantime I have microfiber towels along the bottom of window behind the seats. They get soaked when it rains but seems to control it. Hoping to get it replaced soon.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
After having traded my 19 for a 21, I looked carefully at the rear window and it does appear to be different than what was in my 2019. Maybe a different manufacturer? Not sure, but definitely different. My third brake light is the new full LED with the rear camera built-in and it mounts differently than the 2019 I had as well. With all the heavy rain we get in FL, we'll see I am leak-free. I just thought you'd be interested in hearing that the 2021 has a different rear window now.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
until it hurts or kills someone, there's no chance. looks like it's a brake light seal failure. Is there a crack on the frame?

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I just called my merrick dodge dealer to check in on this issue..they have no word or acceptance from FCA.. What can I do to escalate?
Thanks in advance

I’m going through Town and Country in Levittown...they’re replacing the light itself lol I don’t expect this to fix anything. We will most likely need to add some foam tape ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmancusi66

Reaction score
I had a leak on my 2020 1500 Laramie.
I thought it was the brake light, because my 2013 leaked, and I was able to seal it myself. Not the case on my 2020. After seeing pictures on here of the rear window surrond cracks, mine looked the same as the pictures.
Unfortumatly for me, I just put a cap on the truck. So I removed the cap, dealer tested and duplicated the leak. Ordered a new rear window. And scheduled their local glass guy to replace it, which was only two days later. The dealers technicians removed the rear seat and headliner trim, had the glass guy swap the rear window, and the technician buttoned it back up.
I checked thoroughly for any damage, and thankfully found none. Besides them not vacuuming their mess, and wiping down their fingerprints, including the glass. I was satisfied.
I did notice that the glass guy placed a large bead of Ultra Black silicone along the outside window frame, that is primarily covered with the trim surrond.
9ea46683fafbf2a61826f71ae8a9ed4c.jpg
1633cf45c0876b0627b952f8eedfffd5.jpg
948967b0ab26e9a90d1159a1dfe7e2e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a leak on my 2020 1500 Laramie.
I thought it was the brake light, because my 2013 leaked, and I was able to seal it myself. Not the case on my 2020. After seeing pictures on here of the rear window surrond cracks, mine looked the same as the pictures.
Unfortumatly for me, I just put a cap on the truck. So I removed the cap, dealer tested and duplicated the leak. Ordered a new rear window. And scheduled their local glass guy to replace it, which was only two days later. The dealers technicians removed the rear seat and headliner trim, had the glass guy swap the rear window, and the technician buttoned it back up.
I checked thoroughly for any damage, and thankfully found none. Besides them not vacuuming their mess, and wiping down their fingerprints, including the glass. I was satisfied.
I did notice that the glass guy placed a large bead of Ultra Black silicone along the outside window frame, that is primarily covered with the trim surrond.
9ea46683fafbf2a61826f71ae8a9ed4c.jpg
1633cf45c0876b0627b952f8eedfffd5.jpg
948967b0ab26e9a90d1159a1dfe7e2e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
How did you go about sealing the third brake light to ensure it was not the cause of the leak?
Thanks in advance for a reply.

banueloscesar

Reaction score
Just noticed mine started leaking and noticed the leak is not coming from the 3rd brake light but the actual frame from the window. Unfortunately for me I am at 39k miles and the dealership tells me there is NOTHING they can do as it is not a manufacturer defect. Has anyone found a fix for this or gotten DODGE to fix it after the bumper to bumper expired on them?

Attachments

• 90A654DC-AA40-4010-A91E-EB2E14DA4D04.jpeg
    90A654DC-AA40-4010-A91E-EB2E14DA4D04.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 72
  • C35B21C7-8D9C-43CA-8074-CDCB466698F3.jpeg
    C35B21C7-8D9C-43CA-8074-CDCB466698F3.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 71

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed mine started leaking and noticed the leak is not coming from the 3rd brake light but the actual frame from the window. Unfortunately for me I am at 39k miles and the dealership tells me there is NOTHING they can do as it is not a manufacturer defect. Has anyone found a fix for this or gotten DODGE to fix it after the bumper to bumper expired on them?
Take your 3rd brake light out and seal up the crack with some silicone. Especially since you can see the crack on the exterior.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I'd fight hard with FCA on this, as it is most definitely a well documented manufacturer defect. I'd contact a lemon law lawyer in your state as well. It might not be eligible for lemon law, but there are other things such as the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act that might be applicable here.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are both pictures you posted from inside the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread