5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I just just dropped my 2019 1500 Big Horn off at the dealer to get it checked out. I’ve got a crack on both sides of the power window on the plastic window surround. I’ve got 60,000 miles so I’m pretty sure the dealer is going to say I’ll have to pay out of pocket. I’ve already opened a case with Ram Cares. Hopefully they can step in and help out since this is obviously a defect.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I just just dropped my 2019 1500 Big Horn off at the dealer to get it checked out. I’ve got a crack on both sides of the power window on the plastic window surround. I’ve got 60,000 miles so I’m pretty sure the dealer is going to say I’ll have to pay out of pocket. I’ve already opened a case with Ram Cares. Hopefully they can step in and help out since this is obviously a defect.

The dealership called me and said they would have to replace the back window and it would be around $1000 plus labor. I’ve got 60,000 miles so I’m out of warranty. They said it wasn’t a common problem and there wasn’t anything they could do. I’m ready to sell my Ram.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealership called me and said they would have to replace the back window and it would be around $1000 plus labor. I’ve got 60,000 miles so I’m out of warranty. They said it wasn’t a common problem and there wasn’t anything they could do. I’m ready to sell my Ram.

That sucks, but not unexpected by a FCA dealership to say it isn't a common problem. They aren't likely to admit it.

Whatever you do, do not trade it in on a Silverado or Sierra, they have the same issues with their rear windows leaking. Me (19' RAM and wife (20' Silverado) haven't got leaks yet, but we are keeping an eye on them.

Just a note, there is a guy on this forum that decided instead of getting another window, to apply a silicone sealant above the cracks which fixed his leak. The interior crack is still there, but the fix is at least simple and cheap.

RHeller1

Reaction score
What were you expecting to hear? I dont agree that its NOT a common problem, but they are not going to admit it to you. Have you checked on buying one yourself and having a glass shop install it? Seems thats what Ram does anyway. maybe cheaper...but I dont know.

Gs72174

Reaction score
That sucks, but not unexpected by a FCA dealership to say it isn't a common problem. They aren't likely to admit it.

Whatever you do, do not trade it in on a Silverado or Sierra, they have the same issues with their rear windows leaking. Me (19' RAM and wife (20' Silverado) haven't got leaks yet, but we are keeping an eye on them.

Just a note, there is a guy on this forum that decided instead of getting another window, to apply a silicone sealant above the cracks which fixed his leak. The interior crack is still there, but the fix is at least simple and cheap.

I like the look of the GM trucks but not the interior. That was as my deciding factor in getting a Ram.

I’ll try the silicone. Don’t care about the cracks. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gs72174

Reaction score
What were you expecting to hear? I dont agree that its NOT a common problem, but they are not going to admit it to you. Have you checked on buying one yourself and having a glass shop install it? Seems thats what Ram does anyway. maybe cheaper...but I dont know.

I was expecting them to stand behind their product. I had a friend suggest making a claim on my deductible.

RHeller1

Reaction score
I was expecting them to stand behind their product. I had a friend suggest making a claim on my deductible.
They would if it was under warranty..lol. Tough break, I think there are going to be alot of people in your shoes soon. yeah, your rear window got busted by...a baseball or something?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I like the look of the GM trucks but not the interior. That was as my deciding factor in getting a Ram.

I’ll try the silicone. Don’t care about the cracks. Thanks for the suggestions.

Absolutely, I think the guy's post is earlier in this thread, he went through the 3rd brake light to apply the sealant I believe.

Duane

Reaction score
Not sure how your dealer could honestly suggest that the problem is not common.
This STAR CASE says it all.
Whether or not they decide to cover all or part of the replacement expense is another matter.

Attachments

• STAR Case # S2023000024 Water Leak Rear Of Cab Rear Seat Or Headliner-2019 RAM.pdf
    305.2 KB · Views: 34

Gs72174

Reaction score
They would if it was under warranty..lol. Tough break, I think there are going to be alot of people in your shoes soon. yeah, your rear window got busted by...a baseball or something?

As far as warranties go, a $50,000 truck less than 2 years old shouldn’t have interior plastic pieces crack and water leaks. I can understand with my mileage the motor having wear and tear but water leakage shouldnt be such a common problem for the time I’ve had the truck.

A lot of things can happen when I’m always hauling bricks and pavers in the bed.

Gs72174

Reaction score
Not sure how your dealer could honestly suggest that the problem is not common.
This STAR CASE says it all.
Whether or not they decide to cover all or part of the replacement expense is another matter.

I’ve had nothing but issues with this dealer. It’s a small dealership that sells and services both Ford and Ram. I always say I’m going to take it to the dealer an hour away but it’s across the street from where I work.

RHeller1

Reaction score
As far as warranties go, a $50,000 truck less than 2 years old shouldn’t have interior plastic pieces crack and water leaks. I can understand with my mileage the motor having wear and tear but water leakage shouldnt be such a common problem for the time I’ve had the truck.

A lot of things can happen when I’m always hauling bricks and pavers in the bed.
I am not arguing that whatsoever. But the fact is, they have to put limits on it regardless. Hindsight is an extended warranty would have cost probably less than $1000 when you bought the truck. I absolutely feel this is a manufacturing issue and FCA should step up to the plate, but like I experienced with my 2014 and exhaust manifold bolts, they just wont do that. I am curious if GM is covering their rear windows after warranty runs out. Its a very well known issue, and I honestly feel FCA should fix the problem, but as we are all to well aware, they will ignore it and leave it to the consumer to deal with.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a leak on my 2020 1500 Laramie.
I thought it was the brake light, because my 2013 leaked, and I was able to seal it myself. Not the case on my 2020. After seeing pictures on here of the rear window surrond cracks, mine looked the same as the pictures.
Unfortumatly for me, I just put a cap on the truck. So I removed the cap, dealer tested and duplicated the leak. Ordered a new rear window. And scheduled their local glass guy to replace it, which was only two days later. The dealers technicians removed the rear seat and headliner trim, had the glass guy swap the rear window, and the technician buttoned it back up.
I checked thoroughly for any damage, and thankfully found none. Besides them not vacuuming their mess, and wiping down their fingerprints, including the glass. I was satisfied.
I did notice that the glass guy placed a large bead of Ultra Black silicone along the outside window frame, that is primarily covered with the trim surrond.
9ea46683fafbf2a61826f71ae8a9ed4c.jpg
1633cf45c0876b0627b952f8eedfffd5.jpg
948967b0ab26e9a90d1159a1dfe7e2e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
So the glass guy did a CMA thing... It should hold up non the less.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Add me to the list. Found a crack a small leak this morning.... 15k on truck so I’m still under warranty. Those folks who are getting it fixed, are you happy with the outcome ? It’s been my experience when you change out the factory glass or frame it’ll never be right again...

Attachments

• 26B50777-D68E-41C7-9E51-9AD32CE8777D.jpeg
    26B50777-D68E-41C7-9E51-9AD32CE8777D.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 51

Kienvu14

Reaction score
Add me to the list. Found a crack a small leak this morning.... 15k on truck so I’m still under warranty. Those folks who are getting it fixed, are you happy with the outcome ? It’s been my experience when you change out the factory glass or frame it’ll never be right again...

Same here. 17K and found a crack in driver side rear. Spoke to a local service manager and he said they’ve done 4 replacements. Sadly he said looks like the part number has yet to be updated so this theoretically could happen again with the new one

EDIT: dealer wanted me to schedule couple days out and drop off vehicle. Didn’t feel like waiting so I just stopped by. Caught them off guard and they ended up
taking photos on the spot and cancelling my appointment. Guess in person they can’t hide told me they have a guy who’s been waiting 3 weeks, so They have submitted my warranty claim and will call me when approved / window ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry it this was answered already, but does anyone know with any degree of certainty what's causing the crack/leak in the rear window?
-Repeated opening/closing of the rear window?
-Flexing/twisting of the truck & frame over uneven surfaces?
-Too much weight placed in the bed?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry it this was answered already, but does anyone know with any degree of certainty what's causing the crack/leak in the rear window?
-Repeated opening/closing of the rear window?
-Flexing/twisting of the truck & frame over uneven surfaces?
-Too much weight placed in the bed?

No one is actually sure. But it seems to be a flaw in the design of the plastic window frame, which has effected both FCA and GM trucks using the same manufacturer. It's likely caused by the repeated natural flexing of the cab. Not even sure if they have any new windows that are immune to it now.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I’ve heard a few guys on here saying it’s just the 3 brake light and putting on a new gasket will fix the problem. I’m out of warranty with my 60,000 miles and was hoping that I could fix the leak without having to spend $1500 or so out of pocket.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I’ve heard a few guys on here saying it’s just the 3 brake light and putting on a new gasket will fix the problem. I’m out of warranty with my 60,000 miles and was hoping that I could fix the leak without having to spend $1500 or so out of pocket.

Those guys are talking specifically about the gasket on the 3rd brake light leak, the frame is completely different and is a real issue.

You will know that leak though, you will see visually a crack on either side of the frame on the inside of the truck, there are many posted examples here of what that looks like.

If you get a leak without the frame cracks, then it's likely the 3rd brake light or possible a loose shark fin antenna (maybe caused by a rough automatic carwash). However, even if you do get a frame crack and leak, there is someone here who fixed it by simply applying silicone sealant over the crack on the frame. You have to access it from the top, with the 3rd brake light removed to give you access. It is likely a good alternative out of warranty.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp, @RamCares & Board, add me to the list;

I'd seen these cracks and they were so uniform, I thought it was just a 3 piece trim (until I looked closer and saw they're crooked)

I've got more video with water stains on the seats, the carpet under the seats has a damp feel compared to other areas so far, but that's one big rain of the season so far.

This now is in addition to an idling squeal the truck has had for months, I've finally recorded video of the issue and will likely start another thread.

@RamCares , I'll be headed to a dealer here in my zipcode, let me know if you need any info to log this issue. I hope they can handle this as they've not had the best service reviews in the past...

1607984170265.png

Users who are viewing this thread