5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score
I didn't have to fight hard just had to to stay in touch with them. I didn't want to do it either as i have tint on the rear and knew they weren't going to cover the cost to put that back on so i let the Service manager know how disappointing that was. i'll state my case again when i pick it up but at the end of the day i didn't buy from this dealer so there's not much i can do. However, I will inspect very closely before leaving :giggle:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't have to fight hard just had to to stay in touch with them. I didn't want to do it either as i have tint on the rear and knew they weren't going to cover the cost to put that back on so i let the Service manager know how disappointing that was. i'll state my case again when i pick it up but at the end of the day i didn't buy from this dealer so there's not much i can do. However, I will inspect very closely before leaving :giggle:

Did you have your window tinted more than it already is stock? My rear window is tinted pretty dark as is.

75Jimmy

Reaction score
I’m going to wait until I can catch it leaking before I bring mine in. I have less than 0 faith in dealerships so I’m not going to bother until I have a picture of water coming through. Don’t want to waste my time arguing with them

I felt the same way, but then they said that they have a glass company come out and do the work, not their techs. I have never had an issue with a glass company replacing my windshields over the years, so why not, right? Got the truck back and everything looks excellent. They did an outstanding job. No creeks or rattles - which was my biggest fear.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I felt the same way, but then they said that they have a glass company come out and do the work, not their techs. I have never had an issue with a glass company replacing my windshields over the years, so why not, right? Got the truck back and everything looks excellent. They did an outstanding job. No creeks or rattles - which was my biggest fear.
The dealership has to remove the rear seat and rear panels in order for the glass company to replace the window. The defroster and power slider motor is behind the seat and comes attached to the new window.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie (Build 7/19) is scheduled to go to the Dealership for replacement on Tuesday. I'll try and see what part# they put in. How long did they have your truck? I was told hopefully could be done in 2 but told me they need it for 3 days.
The replacement procedure in the service manual calls for the vehicle to remain stationary for 24 hours after install of the new window. This is to allow the adhesive to cure.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036277 miles.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked, I got cracks too, one on each side. Leaking as well. Summer 2019 Build... off to dealership next Tuesday. Will post updates.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The replacement procedure in the service manual calls for the vehicle to remain stationary for 24 hours after install of the new window. This is to allow the adhesive to cure.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036277 miles.

Wonder if that causes the issue since the trucks were unlikely stationary at the factory after the robot popped the glass in. And from some star reports it looks like they didn’t apply enough sealant sometimes. With my replacement from May I noticed a much healthier amount of sealant. You could see it ooze just a bit out of the frame. The original that cracked had no signs of sealant. Perhaps the factory ‘connection’ was to rigid due to lack of sealant. And when the glass frame expands and contracts due to temps, it develops a crack. So many theories out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just dropped off at the dealership. They were nice enough to put me in a 1500 as the loaner. All this time i'm thinking i'll get the Van. :oops:

They did that to me one time, town and country (for the rear window fix)... But they also gave me one Charger, and one Ram (Both for having a dead truck that wouldn't start which was a software module update)

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be nice guys. Enjoy!
(from my Dodge Journey loaner. Yes I’m parked lol)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just checked, I got cracks too, one on each side. Leaking as well. Summer 2019 Build... off to dealership next Tuesday. Will post updates.

Please be sure to keep us posted, @Condor757! We are just a PM away if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer on this.

Mark
RamCares

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please be sure to keep us posted, @Condor757! We are just a PM away if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer on this.

Mark
RamCares

Mark, thank you. The dealership is in the process of gaining approval from FCA in ordering a new rear window assembly.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mark, thank you. The dealership is in the process of gaining approval from FCA in ordering a new rear window assembly.

Thank you for the follow up, please be sure to keep us posted! I would be happy to get a case opened on the customer care side at any point while you are working with the dealer.

Mark
RamCares

KP_98

Reaction score
I too have two cracks in the frame, just above the sliding glass. I have an appointment tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well.

Rebelrp

Reaction score
so after watching a video online around 1am .. the owner of a 19 Ram Rebel mentioned these cracks in the rear glass... First thing I did when I woke up this morning was go and check...... I have it too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread