5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you replacing the OEM seal on the third brake light be careful not to over torque the screws like I apparently did because it will crack (pic below). Mine didn't crack right away but I'm assuming with it getting warmer the expansion cracked it.....oooops!
View attachment 57989
I was able to find a new takeoff assembly on ebay for $20 so not too bad.

Yep happened to me too. I put smoke tint film over it as was planned anyway so it’s sealed that way at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you please point out where the crack is? I can't tell from the photograph.

Thanks in advance.
Best regars,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033318 miles.
Sorry yeah kinda hard to see because it's in the clear section, might have to zoom in to see. It spider cracked around the far left screw hole. IMG_20200603_110112~2.jpg

Bigga826

Reaction score
Check your 3rd brake light They has to remove it to replace glass They May have not tightened it enough or the seal can be worn out. It’s a spongy foam that can’t be reused to often because it deforms. Most of us have upgraded the seal with a rubber weatherstrip from Lowe’s. I had that happen to me after glass swap and once I installed the seal it’s dry even after 3 inches fell on it last week

Hey, do you know the item # of the weather stripping from lowes?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, do you know the item # of the weather stripping from lowes?

4a7ea6348a4749af6063b9bd86d19fa5.jpg

wishfulhunter

Reaction score
Is there anything preventive we can do? I haven’t read all the replies just because it’s so long.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately because it is a design or manufacturing defect there's no realistic way it can be prevented, at least none that I can think of. It's a well known issue and I haven't heard of Ram not owning up to it. Fortunately, cracked window frames appears to be affecting a relatively low percentage of trucks. I heard from a parts distributing person that the usage rate is trending down.

If it cracks it should be under warranty.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034321 miles.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got mine replaced (cracked in two places).

I was hoping for the updated part number but got the old part number. Looks to be sealed better (gap is pretty even between the glass and body compared to the original one from the factory) and the slider is definitely quieter on the new window.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you that had the windows replaced, did you notice any slight discoloration in the new window trim where the cracks usually show up? When mine was replaced, the new unit shows a bit of Discoloration in the area where the cracks come from. It’s been 2 months and nothing has gotten worse, but I was wondering if perhaps every window frame has that bit of discoloration in that area. Almost looks like what plastic looks like and you bend it, it gets a bit lighter near the crease. In certain light to can’t see the discoloration, while in other conditions it’s more obvious.

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed mine was cracked the week I bought it because of this site, so likely cracked off the lot. Warned a friend that also has a 19 Laramie and his is discolored just as you described but hasn't cracked or leaked as of yet at 15k miles.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed mine was cracked the week I bought it because of this site, so likely cracked off the lot. Warned a friend that also has a 19 Laramie and his is discolored just as you described but hasn't cracked or leaked as of yet at 15k miles.

Good to know. Could just be a mold line. It was like that right out of the box when they installed it.

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score
I've been checking mine since i bought it in December (built 7/2019) and loading the truck to come home yesterday I noticed 2 cracks one on each side of the sliding window on the frame. I have not had any leaks as of yet but will be going to the dealership for possible replacement.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been checking mine since i bought it in December (built 7/2019) and loading the truck to come home yesterday I noticed 2 cracks one on each side of the sliding window on the frame. I have not had any leaks as of yet but will be going to the dealership for possible replacement.

Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost exactly my circumstance except I had a crack on the driver's side first then the second one a short time after. It would leak unless it rained hard or I put the truck through a car wash.

Make sure you tell the dealership where the leak is coming from. The first time I took it in for a leaking window they replaced the 3rd brake light. That was not the problem and I did not have a wet headliner but I think that's the first thing they default to since that is a common leak point. The next time I went in I showed the service advisor the two cracks and they replace the window.

Jines2121

Reaction score
I also just notice two cracks in mine. Took it through the carwash today and notice water coming in. Definitely not happy about this but I hear that they replace it with the 2020 rear window since they fixed this issue on the new 2020 models

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also just notice two cracks in mine. Took it through the carwash today and notice water coming in. Definitely not happy about this but I hear that they replace it with the 2020 rear window since they fixed this issue on the new 2020 models

I think a few 2020 owners had cracks as well.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take pictures showing water intrusion. Giving those to the service advisor makes it easier to prove and get the window replaced. I took pictures right after a car wash with water running down the slider frame (and the cracks).

My dad has a '20 Limited with the same problem I have (2 cracks - 1 over each edge of the slider frame). Mine surfaced around 25K miles and my dad's appeared at 1500 miles.

I'm not sure what part number the 2020s have but mine came with the -AC suffix (tinted, defroster, power slider) and was replaced with the same. I requested the updated part number for my window (-AF I think) but an -AC part was delivered and installed. At some point beggars can't be choosers and I've read of people having success with a new 'old' part number (better install?).

If it cracks and leaks again then I'll push for the updated part number.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine show cracked line on the right side of slide windows for a while(don't know what milage when it happen) but didn't show any leak, show the cracked line to my service adviser while i'm in for recall, it approved for replace within hour and done by next day.

Jines2121

Reaction score
Take pictures showing water intrusion. Giving those to the service advisor makes it easier to prove and get the window replaced. I took pictures right after a car wash with water running down the slider frame (and the cracks).

My dad has a '20 Limited with the same problem I have (2 cracks - 1 over each edge of the slider frame). Mine surfaced around 25K miles and my dad's appeared at 1500 miles.

I'm not sure what part number the 2020s have but mine came with the -AC suffix (tinted, defroster, power slider) and was replaced with the same. I requested the updated part number for my window (-AF I think) but an -AC part was delivered and installed. At some point beggars can't be choosers and I've read of people having success with a new 'old' part number (better install?).

If it cracks and leaks again then I'll push for the updated part number.
Thanks man for the info I'll definitely do that. Yeah the dealership was kinda dumbfounded when I talked to them about it

Users who are viewing this thread