5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I'm in SE MO, just got my truck back from dealer Friday (New headliner and third brake light), Waiting on parts for back glass replacement.
Have had mine a year this month, 20,000 miles and it had just started leaking around the brake light, or at least to the point I could tell it. Tech didn't even notice the cracks in the back glass when he was looking for the leak, I had to take him out there and point them out. He was still sold that it was the brake light leaking, but agreed it needed replacement. Now I'm hoping it doesn't screw up another headliner waiting on the back glass.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I'm in SE MO, just got my truck back from dealer Friday (New headliner and third brake light), Waiting on parts for back glass replacement.
Have had mine a year this month, 20,000 miles and it had just started leaking around the brake light, or at least to the point I could tell it. Tech didn't even notice the cracks in the back glass when he was looking for the leak, I had to take him out there and point them out. He was still sold that it was the brake light leaking, but agreed it needed replacement. Now I'm hoping it doesn't screw up another headliner waiting on the back glass.
It seems that the cracks/leaks are starting to pop up in trucks with 15K to 20K miles. Hope this doesn't become a major issue for Ram.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Please read more on this issue on the forum. The cracks and the leaks are not connected. The cracks in the plastic trim/slider piece are cosmetic. The plastic piece you are seeing cracks in does not, repeat, does not have anything to do with the sealing function of the back window. The sealing function in the back window is standard window seal which you cannot see. If you want to learn more, then go to Youtube and search of replacement of a Ram 1500 rear window. You will be able to see how the window with the slider is constructed and you will be able to see that the plastic trim does not provide any sealing function.
I beg to differ with you I tested the area ( channel) below the brake light and above the window. When I taped off the channel and put the hose on the brake light and shark antenna area they was no leak. When I took the tape off a let water run in the window channel, water leaked in from the cracks in my window frame.

Ndriscoll86

Reaction score
I’m having issue!! Got word today mine won’t be covered. Called Chrysler.. waiting for call back. To see what the deal is with it and why the denied coverage. Anyone else been denied coverage?

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I’m having issue!! Got word today mine won’t be covered. Called Chrysler.. waiting for call back. To see what the deal is with it and why the denied coverage. Anyone else been denied coverage?
Try a different dealership if they don't end up covering it.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
I beg to differ with you I tested the area ( channel) below the brake light and above the window. When I taped off the channel and put the hose on the brake light and shark antenna area they was no leak. When I took the tape off a let water run in the window channel, water leaked in from the cracks in my window frame.
However you Want to "Slice the Pie"....My Pie Cost Me $48,000 Bucks,And should not have Any Cracks ...PERIOD!!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Had my window replaced under warranty today, it has the same molding marks as the failed frame.
If this fails it will be black RTV to the rescue.

Last edited:

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Please read more on this issue on the forum. The cracks and the leaks are not connected. The cracks in the plastic trim/slider piece are cosmetic. The plastic piece you are seeing cracks in does not, repeat, does not have anything to do with the sealing function of the back window. The sealing function in the back window is standard window seal which you cannot see. If you want to learn more, then go to Youtube and search of replacement of a Ram 1500 rear window. You will be able to see how the window with the slider is constructed and you will be able to see that the plastic trim does not provide any sealing function.
However you Want To Slice The "PIE"...
My $48,000 Dollar "PIE" Is Cracked..And shoud Not be....Leaking or Not!!

JDBob35a

Reaction score

Sounds like you should go ahead and start looking for a new dealer service provider, my OP dealer didn't want to cover anything under warranty pretty much as soon as I drove it off the lot.
Dealer I'm working with now, looked at my leak issue and the tech immediately said "You need a new headliner, and third brake light". I pointed out the cracks in the rear glass plastic and he said "Yep you will need that as well, it will get ordered". No argument, they just started taking care of business.

Ndriscoll86

Reaction score
Sounds like you should go ahead and start looking for a new dealer service provider, my OP dealer didn't want to cover anything under warranty pretty much as soon as I drove it off the lot.
Dealer I'm working with now, looked at my leak issue and the tech immediately said "You need a new headliner, and third brake light". I pointed out the cracks in the rear glass plastic and he said "Yep you will need that as well, it will get ordered". No argument, they just started taking care of business.
Yea I’m going to do that. I just live in the boondocks so I’ll have to drive 60 miles to next nearest dealer.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Yea I’m going to do that. I just live in the boondocks so I’ll have to drive 60 miles to next nearest dealer.
Depending on your confidence with closest dealer, in this case I would recommend sending RamCares a PM from here with pics and explaining your dealer experience. They will probably open a case, contact dealer, and have them do the warranty work.
The dealer will probably order the new window and contract with local glass shop anyway.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ndriscoll86

Reaction score
Depending on your confidence with closest dealer, in this case I would recommend sending RamCares a PM from here with pics and explaining your dealer experience. They will probably open a case, contact dealer, and have them do the warranty work.
The dealer will probably order the new window and contract with local glass shop anyway.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yea I’m in contact with RamCares right now. I won’t take it anywhere until I here from him and see what he says after I gave him my info. He’s suggesting opening a case on it. Thank you

Florida Truck

Reaction score
All the stars must be in alignment, my replacement rear window arrived. Scheduled replacement for next Tuesday, I’ll let ya all know how it goes

JDBob35a

Reaction score

That makes two of us, no dealer in my town, nearest is 30 minutes away, then I jump to about an hour away.
Makes it a challenge to get in for service.

steindog

Reaction score
Well it's official my July 2018 build date Limited has a rear window trim crack and water leak so it's time to let the dealer do their own water test and see what they say they're offering to do about it. I wasn't even aware so many folks were experiencing this until I read about it here. I know there's some that claim the leak has nothing to do with the crack which I can actually see the logic in but in my truck the water is definitely exiting right where the crack is located which might just be the path of least resistance but both the crack and the leak are totally unacceptable for so many very new trucks to be experiencing. Might have to rethink the RAM ownership idea!

Users who are viewing this thread