5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Window leak

Rathof

Reaction score
Hello, I own a 2019 ram 1500 Bighorn. I bought my Ram 6 months ago and it only had 42k miles on it. Recently, I opened the rear window for the first time and noticed that the frame cracked. I called my local Ram dealership as the one I purchased from is about an hour and a half away from me and was told that this not covered under any type of warranty. I was quoted around $2100 to fix it. Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s barely 3 years old, especially just from opening the rear power window! @RamCares, is there anything that can be done for this?

Camelot

Reaction score
Happened on my 2021 first month I had it. They replaced the complete window. Mine was covered under warranty.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Should be a recall on this or at least extend the warranty. I hate to advocate insurance fraud, but do you have glass coverage through your insurance company? If maybe you were loading a couple 2x4's into the bed and one went through the back window..... actually, the story needs to be believable. It was one 2x4, nobody can afford to buy more than one

Last edited:

Rathof

Reaction score
Should be a recall on this or at least extend the warranty. I hate to advocate insurance fraud, but do you have glass coverage through your insurance company? If maybe you were loading a couple 2x4's into the bed and one went trough the back window..... actually, the story needs to be believable. It was one 2x4, nobody can afford to buy more than one
Not sure I can afford 1 2x4 with the gas prices now. :D

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I picked up a 2019 Big Horn last August with about 20k miles on it. Rear window was just replaced a week or two ago under warranty because of a leak.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem is with the supplier. GM uses the same supplier for rear windows and their trucks are having the same problem.

Most get it covered under the 3/36 basic warranty although I have read of some dealerships pushing back if it's older than 12 months (depending on how they interpret the fine print).

Outside of the basic warranty, though, and it isn't covered. Glass (to include the frame) is not a covered item on any extended warranty, including my Mopar ESP. Mine was replaced under the basic warranty and (knock on wood) the replacement is holding up.

I have read of a few getting a new window (or shared cost) outside the basic warranty. I would start a case with corporate and see what they are willing to do. You can call the RAM corporate customer service number and start a case or get with @RamCares on this website and start one that way to see what they can do for you.

The answer is always "no" unless you ask.

mike146

Reaction score
This is the only thing I wish they stole from Toyota. Solid back window and entire window goes up and down.

Rathof

Reaction score
The problem is with the supplier. GM uses the same supplier for rear windows and their trucks are having the same problem.

Most get it covered under the 3/36 basic warranty although I have read of some dealerships pushing back if it's older than 12 months (depending on how they interpret the fine print).

Outside of the basic warranty, though, and it isn't covered. Glass (to include the frame) is not a covered item on any extended warranty, including my Mopar ESP. Mine was replaced under the basic warranty and (knock on wood) the replacement is holding up.

I have read of a few getting a new window (or shared cost) outside the basic warranty. I would start a case with corporate and see what they are willing to do. You can call the RAM corporate customer service number and start a case or get with @RamCares on this website and start one that way to see what they can do for you.

The answer is always "no" unless you ask.
Thank you for the reply. I'll look into corporate if @RamCares doesn't come through.

d19r93

Reaction score
Hello, I own a 2019 ram 1500 Bighorn. I bought my Ram 6 months ago and it only had 42k miles on it. Recently, I opened the rear window for the first time and noticed that the frame cracked. I called my local Ram dealership as the one I purchased from is about an hour and a half away from me and was told that this not covered under any type of warranty. I was quoted around $2100 to fix it. Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s barely 3 years old, especially just from opening the rear power window! @RamCares, is there anything that can be done for this?
Sorry to hear! But since you're outside of the 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, they won't do a darn thing. Heck, they don't want to honor the warranty when it still is within that period!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should be a recall on this or at least extend the warranty. I hate to advocate insurance fraud, but do you have glass coverage through your insurance company? If maybe you were loading a couple 2x4's into the bed and one went trough the back window..... actually, the story needs to be believable. It was one 2x4, nobody can afford to buy more than one
No doubt! Back up to $8 each where I live at Lowe's. Outrageous.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

Dirtdonthurt4!

Reaction score
Out of warranty.
Either have it replaced out of pocket (could crack again) or get a tube of black RTV and be done with it.
Just brought my late fathers ram home after a year. Rear window frame split in the two common spots. Also a small stain on the headliner looks like the driver side corner of the brake light. Are you guys just filling the void with black rtv from roof drip edge to roof drip edge from left to right?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just brought my late fathers ram home after a year. Rear window frame split in the two common spots. Also a small stain on the headliner looks like the driver side corner of the brake light. Are you guys just filling the void with black rtv from roof drip edge to roof drip edge from left to right?
I will if my frame cracks again.

jent

Reaction score
This is the only thing I wish they stole from Toyota. Solid back window and entire window goes up and down.
I don't completely disagree, that would be nice. But you do loose about 6 or 8in of rear space to make room for the window to slide down on the Toyota.

mike146

Reaction score
I don't completely disagree, that would be nice. But you do loose about 6 or 8in of rear space to make room for the window to slide down on the Toyota.
Not if they increase size of cab a few inches instead. Or get some good engineers on the design and just make it work in as little space as possible.

But since I usually hold my vehicles for 10 or more years, doesn't matter to me anymore. LOL

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is leaking on the top right corner of the back window, 21 ram 1500. Noticed about a month after I bought it. About to order a 22 so more than likely I’ll let the next owner deal with this.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
Have you used black RTV on yours? Do you pour a generous amount, and how long recommended to test?
Out of warranty.
Either have it replaced out of pocket (could crack again) or get a tube of black RTV and be done with it

6of36

Reaction score
Have you used black RTV on yours? Do you pour a generous amount, and how long recommended to test?
There are multiple threads on back window. You can check them out. Instead of black RTV, I would use Lexel caulk. It is crystal clear, can be applied to damp surfaces, is flexible, and is also paintable, not that you need that for the truck repair. It's not as cheap as silicone, but I use it for everything.

rws1944

Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited and had the rear frame replaced 4/15/2021. If you have yours replaced make sure the correct replacement is used. The original Star Case Number was S20223000005 Rev A with a release date of 1/30/2021. The correct Backlite part # is 68426398AD. The one that failed is 68426398AC. The dealer service manager said they would extend the original 3/36 month warranty by two years if the part failed again. So far its been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread