5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Window leak

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I was within my 3/36 and the dealer that I bought from basically blew me off and said there was such a backlog of people needing back windows due to this issue that it was unlikely that I would even get it replaced before my truck ran out of that warranty period. Covid, you know... I first noticed the crack in the plastic frame somewhere around 20k miles which was about 2 years into the 3/36. Although I dont notice and have not found any wet carpet either behind the seats or in the area underneath the crack, I do notice a slightly musty smell that wasnt there before. And no its not the cabin filter, because I changed it a couple times already thinking maybe that was it... nope.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was within my 3/36 and the dealer that I bought from basically blew me off and said there was such a backlog of people needing back windows due to this issue that it was unlikely that I would even get it replaced before my truck ran out of that warranty period. Covid, you know... I first noticed the crack in the plastic frame somewhere around 20k miles which was about 2 years into the 3/36. Although I dont notice and have not found any wet carpet either behind the seats or in the area underneath the crack, I do notice a slightly musty smell that wasnt there before. And no its not the cabin filter, because I changed it a couple times already thinking maybe that was it... nope.
Right away I would have called customer care. It doesn't matter if the warranty runs out, as long as it is written up while still under warranty. If the write up man blew me off, I would ask for the service manager. If he blew me off, I would see the owner. I'm sure the owner wouldn't be too happy to hear they were blowing you off. Customers are more important to a well run business than employees. They don't want a bad reputation.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Right away I would have called customer care. It doesn't matter if the warranty runs out, as long as it is written up while still under warranty. If the write up man blew me off, I would ask for the service manager. If he blew me off, I would see the owner. I'm sure the owner wouldn't be too happy to hear they were blowing you off. Customers are more important to a well run business than employees. They don't want a bad reputation.
HAHAHA... your funny... the dealer cares about its customers... your hilarious dude. When a dealership goes through different owners/managers/etc as many times as the one I got my truck from, it kinda blows your theory out of the water and as for finding another dealer, when they are all giant corp dealers under AutoNation, or Penske or any of the other big ones... it really doesnt matter, your gonna get screwed one way or the other. The window thing doesnt bother me that much since I am extremely mechanically inclied because at some point I will just goop it up as many have mentioned before me. I dont like the dealership touching my truck even when I have something to be fixed that is covered under warranty. It just gives them the opportunity to mess something else up.

6of36

Reaction score
HAHAHA... your funny... the dealer cares about its customers... your hilarious dude. When a dealership goes through different owners/managers/etc as many times as the one I got my truck from, it kinda blows your theory out of the water and as for finding another dealer, when they are all giant corp dealers under AutoNation, or Penske or any of the other big ones... it really doesnt matter, your gonna get screwed one way or the other. The window thing doesnt bother me that much since I am extremely mechanically inclied because at some point I will just goop it up as many have mentioned before me. I dont like the dealership touching my truck even when I have something to be fixed that is covered under warranty. It just gives them the opportunity to mess something else up.
You must have some crap dealers in Texas. I don't have that problem in Michigan. The dealers I go to, all do good work, and if the owners found out the write ups were blowing people off, they would be looking for jobs.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
You must have some crap dealers in Texas. I don't have that problem in Michigan. The dealers I go to, all do good work, and if the owners found out the write ups were blowing people off, they would be looking for jobs.
there are crap dealers everywhere, but yeh here in the DFW area, there are no more independent dealers, all owned by the big corps, so they suck. I got a killer deal on it, and thats the only reason I bought it from where I did.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
If possible, may you post a picture of the crack in the plastic frame? I would like to compare it to how mine looks…

Maybe you can do the water bottle trick a guy on YouTube did. He filled a bottle of water and squirted it into different locations of the seal, until he found out where the leak was. Then he sealed it and has been good on his update.

6of36

Reaction score
there are crap dealers everywhere, but yeh here in the DFW area, there are no more independent dealers, all owned by the big corps, so they suck. I got a killer deal on it, and thats the only reason I bought it from where I did.
Most of our dealers own multiple brand dealerships, some owning as many as 20 or more, but they are still involved in every day business. My last was from the Jim Reihl friendly auto group. He owns probably a dozen dealerships, of various brands, but his family runs each one, but he is available if need be. They make sure things are done right, and follow up on every visit.

Mike7311

Reaction score
This is an old post, but people should be aware that the warranty on the rear window has been extended for certain trucks.

Attachments

• back window.pdf
    307.4 KB · Views: 19
  • rear light.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread