5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Pribilof

Reaction score
@RamCares What's with all the trucks that don't have the XL1 code attached to their VINs even though they have build dates prior to 9/30/2020 and have the backlight option codes listed on the warranty extension? It really looks like Ram doesn't stand behind their products. I mean, you guys really only have ONE product left. Well, technically you make the 1500, 2500, 3500, chassis, and promaster... but really these are basically just one thing and you can't even get that right. I've NEVER had to fight an OEM for warranty work like I have with Ram. Never.

BigSid

Reaction score
i posted this in a different discussion board, & i thought I'd share it with the group. My concern now is should i seal the other side also since some people did mention that theirs leaked. >>

i purchased my rebel late 2020 and just noticed 2 months ago of a water leak inside the back passenger side headrest area. i conducted the normal leak search in the 3rd brake light, shark fin and the sliding window and all checked good. i found the leak is coming from the right side window (see picture) by spraying water from the outside.
View attachment 149121

i applied very small amount of sealant from the outside between the small gap (see picture) & spread it evenly using a coat hanger.
View attachment 149133

i spayed water on it several times after 24 hrs cure time and have gone thru rain & several car washes... so far no leak.
This is what I am going to have to do. Mine is leaking in that same spot. How did you clean the gap out before applying the sealant? Just spray it out?

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
This is what I am going to have to do. Mine is leaking in that same spot. How did you clean the gap out before applying the sealant? Just spray it out?
washed with dish soap using tooth brush to clean the gap, then I used alcohol. let dry completely. then applied sealant.

(driver side also started leaking this past December 2023... so I did both sides)

BigSid

Reaction score
washed with dish soap using tooth brush to clean the gap, then I used alcohol. let dry completely. then applied sealant.

(driver side also started leaking this past December 2023... so I did both sides)
Hard to tell from your pic, did you cover the gap over or lay the sealant down on the bottom of the gap/track? The pic looks very clean. I guess the leak is at the bottom of the gap, that's where the sealant needs to go. Appreciate your help.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Hard to tell from your pic, did you cover the gap over or lay the sealant down on the bottom of the gap/track? The pic looks very clean. I guess the leak is at the bottom of the gap, that's where the sealant needs to go. Appreciate your help.
when i did the rear right side window, I didn't use painter's tape so even though it looks clean, it was a pain to clean up.

when I recently did the left side, I used painter's tape for the places i didn't want to seal and popsicle stick to pack the sealant in the gap. it turned out a little better and a lot easier to clean.

Pribilof

Reaction score
I ordered 3M 08323 "factory match seam sealer" and a 2 part dual epoxy gun for this repair. It appears that it's the best 3M option and lines up with the factory "fix" for this issue now specified on the new TSB as 2-part urethane adhesive. The other 3M 2-part urethane adhesives appear to have too much flow for this application (vertical), or zero flow. I'll be using 3M 08682 single step primer first.

I looked at the 3M Black Super Silicone Seal but it says that it "may cause softening or weakening of plastic parts." Also, the 08323 cures in only 4 hours versus a full 24 hours for the Mopar product or the Black Silicone Super Seal. What does Ram expect people to do with their trucks for 24 hours? Per the TSB "vent one of the windows on the vehicle to relieve cabin pressure and ensure closing a door will not cause movement of the urethane" and "inform the customer the urethane needs 24 hours time to cure before water is applied." I guess the expect customers to have a window open, parked in the driveway or street (city street for me), for 24 hours and pray it doesn't rain (and that your truck isn't stolen). WTF?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered 3M 08323 "factory match seam sealer" and a 2 part dual epoxy gun for this repair. It appears that it's the best 3M option and lines up with the factory "fix" for this issue now specified on the new TSB as 2-part urethane adhesive. The other 3M 2-part urethane adhesives appear to have too much flow for this application (vertical), or zero flow. I'll be using 3M 08682 single step primer first.

I looked at the 3M Black Super Silicone Seal but it says that it "may cause softening or weakening of plastic parts." Also, the 08323 cures in only 4 hours versus a full 24 hours for the Mopar product or the Black Silicone Super Seal. What does Ram expect people to do with their trucks for 24 hours? Per the TSB "vent one of the windows on the vehicle to relieve cabin pressure and ensure closing a door will not cause movement of the urethane" and "inform the customer the urethane needs 24 hours time to cure before water is applied." I guess the expect customers to have a window open, parked in the driveway or street (city street for me), for 24 hours and pray it doesn't rain (and that your truck isn't stolen). WTF?
Seems like a lot of hassle. Can't go wrong with the Permatex which many here have had success with.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stellantis being Stellantis even though this is probably a better fix since they can seem to fix their issue with the glass manufacturer.

Good ol urethane sealer Im very familiar with not the 3m brand though and will last longer in this application then the permatex silicon.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Probably very much overkill. 08609 should do just fine and can be used with a basic cartridge gun no special one time use gun necessary.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Probably very much overkill. 08609 should do just fine and can be used with a basic cartridge gun no special one time use gun necessary.
24 hour cure time. Not a good option for summers here in CO where it might rain literally every single afternoon. The 08323 cures in 4 hours so I can do it on Saturday morning. Compatible guns on Amazon were $30.

Regarding overkill... Maybe but I'd rather just do it once and be done. All in its $100 total plus my time. Not really a big deal. Plus I also have to (get to!) do the front fender body panel leak fix so I'll be using more of the 08323 for that anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread