5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Hackmunch

Reaction score
guys save yourself a ton of headaches, time and money and just go with a solid rear window. the windows they are putting in today are no better than the 1st ones in 2019. i know someone on his 4th window. solid is the only way to go in these trucks.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
guys save yourself a ton of headaches, time and money and just go with a solid rear window. the windows they are putting in today are no better than the 1st ones in 2019. i know someone on his 4th window. solid is the only way to go in these trucks.
Will they replace with a solid window under warranty?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

ws6guy

Reaction score
Got my window replaced but noticed the next day while putting the bedcover back on they scratched the cab in 2 spots.

The scratch above the window I should be able to polish out, finger nail doesn't catch on it. However the scratch on the side is much deeper. I can probably polish enough that it won't be noticeable unless looking for it. Or I can take it back to the dealer to have them fix it and hope they don't muck it up.

Attachments

• PXL_20230627_212847551.jpg
    PXL_20230627_212847551.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20230627_212855439.jpg
    PXL_20230627_212855439.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 45

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got my window replaced but noticed the next day while putting the bedcover back on they scratched the cab in 2 spots.

The scratch above the window I should be able to polish out, finger nail doesn't catch on it. However the scratch on the side is much deeper. I can probably polish enough that it won't be noticeable unless looking for it. Or I can take it back to the dealer to have them fix it and hope they don't muck it up.
Most Dealerships don't do body work, so they are going to likely outsource it to someone else and you need to hope they don't cause new damage in addition to that
Up to you, I probably would deal with it and try to touch it up myself, most likely just clearcoat and could work out by hand.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
So I rolled into my local dealership this morning without an appointment explained to the service writer that I had a leak and I had the trim pieces off and had located the leak. All they needed to do was pour a cup full of water on it and take a picture. The rude women I was dealing with told me I needed a appointment and the first available was July 10, she said they would need the truck for a whole day, I questioned why she said there was a process they had to go through but could not explain what the process was. I asked if they had something I could drive for the day she rudely said no. So here I am rainy season in Florida with a nice leak she didn’t care if the carpet got ruined in the mean time. I have done all the detection work for them I would have thought they could take 5 minutes to document it and make the claim. So I’m looking at least a month before anything gets fixed what a joke! I’d rather get a root canal than dealing with the service department I hope that class action lawsuit happens soon this is ridiculous. Hey rams care I’m I going to get new carpet also since it will be ruined in a month of Florida rain.
So not wanting to wait till July 10 I drove 30 miles away to a small town dealership what a difference and well worth the drive. New back window has been ordered he said it will arrive in a week or so. Third party vender will install it, seems like they have dealt with this issue in the past. It was a very easy process nothing like the first dealership I went to needless to say I will never visit the first dealership again for any reason. So now it’s wait and try to keep the interior as dry as possible, hopefully they won’t cause any further damage replacing it. I would assume that this issue will now be covered past the 3 year 36,000 warranty, if the replacement fails I will most likely pay out of pocket for the solid window.

raygun9

Reaction score
It may take a few smaller sizes as you stated due to the small gap before the void. I'm going to keep experimenting. Thanks for the ideas.

keep us posted on the sizes you end up using if they work! Thanks for sharing the idea.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably get to it this weekend. I think I'm going to try 3/8 and feed it in from bottom instead of sqishing it in. Looks possible with a little lube.

dsanford82

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am having the same leaking issue. I’m at 50k and it is leaking. Brought it to Ram and they said it needed a whole window replacement. Went through FCA and they said they couldn’t help me because I was not the original owner (I bought it last year from a dealership). Now, I’m stuck paying a $1500 replacement bill.

I’m sad that Ram doesn’t stand behind an issue that is obviously a known defect. I moved over to Ram from Chevy with this truck and I’ve not been exactly happy with my experience.

Oh well. You live and learn!

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am having the same leaking issue. I’m at 50k and it is leaking. Brought it to Ram and they said it needed a whole window replacement. Went through FCA and they said they couldn’t help me because I was not the original owner (I bought it last year from a dealership). Now, I’m stuck paying a $1500 replacement bill.

I’m sad that Ram doesn’t stand behind an issue that is obviously a known defect. I moved over to Ram from Chevy with this truck and I’ve not been exactly happy with my experience.

You're in a big club. Since you're on the hook for it you might consider taking it to a glass guy and just have a solid window installed to avoid it happening again.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went straight to a glass shop for mine. I did go with another slider I like having the slider and use it quite a bit. The first one lasted 4 years, if I can get another 4 years out of it, I will be good. It will be in someone else's driveway by that time.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Unfortunately, Chevy's are suffering from the same problem.

Kienvu14

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel purchased December of 2019.

18,081 miles, 12/31/2020 , noticed original rear window had the standard 2 cracks in top plastic sliding trim. Leaking. Dealer replaced entire glass.

Fast forward to 01/01/2023 with now 54,500 miles.

Rear window began leaking worse than first go around. This time interior top plastic sliding trim is pristine. Dealer visit. Dealer denies any warranty. Says it is past its warranty window.

Found this forum, looked from the bed and under the roof plastic trim. Can see an obvious crack in the plastic. Temporarily using the Permatex windshield sealant. 24 hours later and it is not leaking . Phewwww.

Here’s a photo I was able to get. Passenger top right side. Plastic in between glass and the window sealant is cracked.

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 52

Hackmunch

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel purchased December of 2019.

18,081 miles, 12/31/2020 , noticed original rear window had the standard 2 cracks in top plastic sliding trim. Leaking. Dealer replaced entire glass.

Fast forward to 01/01/2023 with now 54,500 miles.

Rear window began leaking worse than first go around. This time interior top plastic sliding trim is pristine. Dealer visit. Dealer denies any warranty. Says it is past its warranty window.

Found this forum, looked from the bed and under the roof plastic trim. Can see an obvious crack in the plastic. Temporarily using the Permatex windshield sealant. 24 hours later and it is not leaking . Phewwww.

Here’s a photo I was able to get. Passenger top right side. Plastic in between glass and the window sealant is cracked.
it will leak again. it will just crack in another place.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago the 3rd party vendor that replaced it said it will crack again, if it does he said I can order a solid window from him I will go that route and hope a class action law suite will eventually make me whole. It’s shameful they keep selling these trucks knowing the have this problem. Other than the leak I’ve really had no other issues it’s a 2020 I’ve had it for 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread