5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glass shop if you don't feel like fixing it your self. I think it is around USD 1500 to replace the whole assembly?
Buys a lot of flow-able RTV
Yea, I will try try fixing it with flowable RTV, but if I decide to get it replaced or it doesn't work, want to have an idea.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I applied the flowable window caulk to my window yesterday. I'll report back on the results.

My truck is clean so I don't need to wash it. Not sure if it's gonna rain this week or not. I have two small leaks on both sides of the passenger rear window. Only a few drops after I wash the truck and run water over the top of the window to get the soap out. My next wash will be the test unless we have some heavy rains this week.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Do you have the sliding rear window?
Yes.
Yesterday, I added a bead of silicone in this small channel. After looking really close, it looked like maybe there was a gap in this channel compared to the right side. So now I've got a new gasket in brake light, silicone around shark fin, flowable silicone in the channel right above the window, and now this little section. Planning to get a car was today after the rain this weekend, I'll report back.
1665414792838.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes.
Yesterday, I added a bead of silicone in this small channel. After looking really close, it looked like maybe there was a gap in this channel compared to the right side. So now I've got a new gasket in brake light, silicone around shark fin, flowable silicone in the channel right above the window, and now this little section. Planning to get a car was today after the rain this weekend, I'll report back.
View attachment 140752
Good work. Please keep us posted.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Mines been cracked for about a year, finally noticed water leaks Sunday after a car wash. Goes into the dealer Thursday, still under 3/36000 warranty.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
So I had my rear window replaced back in like March of this year and it's been nice and dry up until this past weekend. Got in and threw the wipers on the clear the morning dew and nothing cleared. :mad: Turns out it was condensation on the inside of the windshield again... turn around and sure enough, staining on the headliner again. Dealership said there is a TSB out on the 3rd brake light so they ordered up a new one and whatever "foam fix" they rolled out. Now I'm just waiting on the call to take it in.

• Angry
Reactions: c3k

gwatt86

Reaction score
Good work. Please keep us posted.
Tested this morning and still have a leak. I'm pretty surprised at this point, I've used a lot of silicone, seems like it would have sealed any cracks. I'm about to just stuff a sponge up under the liner and window and inside and call it good. My extended warranty does not cover water leaks and I don't want to pay out of pocket. My last resort would be to pull the headliner and seal from the inside but I don't feel very confident in doing that.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tested this morning and still have a leak. I'm pretty surprised at this point, I've used a lot of silicone, seems like it would have sealed any cracks. I'm about to just stuff a sponge up under the liner and window and inside and call it good. My extended warranty does not cover water leaks and I don't want to pay out of pocket. My last resort would be to pull the headliner and seal from the inside but I don't feel very confident in doing that.
That sucks. I didn't go back through the whole thread, but you headliner is getting wet?

gwatt86

Reaction score
That sucks. I didn't go back through the whole thread, but you headliner is getting wet?
No, its not.

I did just find a video on partially removing the headliner which doesn't look too difficult. You remove the 4 Airbag plastic covers (Two on top of headliner, other two on the side near the seatbelts), remove the 4 screws behind that, and then it should come down enough to allow me to put some silicone *hopefully* at the source of the leak. I tried to shove silicone up there without removing the headliner a while back but I obviously didn't pinpoint it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, its not.

I did just find a video on partially removing the headliner which doesn't look too difficult. You remove the 4 Airbag plastic covers (Two on top of headliner, other two on the side near the seatbelts), remove the 4 screws behind that, and then it should come down enough to allow me to put some silicone *hopefully* at the source of the leak. I tried to shove silicone up there without removing the headliner a while back but I obviously didn't pinpoint it.
Seems like if it was the shark fin, or the HMSL your headliner would be affected. Not 100% on that tho.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I just sprayed a bunch of black Flex Seal in the channel above the window, below the break light. Never used Flex Seal before so we'll see what happens tomorrow after 24 hours. I wasn't brave enough to try and spray blindly inside the cab up under the headliner.

mikerasi

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 that is about to roll over the 3yr/36k and wouldn't you know it, after cleaning the interior this weekend and picking up the rear mats I saw white mold and the floor was soaked. I cleaned up everything and let the truck dry out before putting the mats back in. This morning it is raining and the whole back is wet again. A quick google search brought me here where I found others with the same issue. I checked and my window frame is cracked in 2 places. Called the dealership that I bought it from and was told they don't do glass repair and its probably not going to be covered anyway. Called another dealer and hoping they will work with me. I had a 2012 Ram that leaked from the cab light and if this won't be fixed by dodge then I will be truck shopping! Aboslutely nuts that something like this is common and not covered.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Picked mine up from the dealer today and they said that it's the rear glass that's going to need to be replaced, 2-3 weeks to get the glass, ABBRA Auto Glass will install it.

rdunnalbj

Reaction score
Greetings, I own a 2019 ram 1500 limited and took it in today for the rear window leaking from a cracked frame. I was told by my dealership (Kolosso dodge/ram-Appleton) that neither my certified preowned warranty or my platinum extended warranty I purchased covered fixing the cracks and quoted me for $2100! Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s 2 years old! Can someone please help me resolve this issue?
I have a 2019 Ram Limited as well and was denied the first time they looked at it and got quoted $3K. I called back and talked to another advisor who said bring it back, I’ll take pictures of the cracked frame, and we will replace just the window ($2K so the other $1K must have been for the headliner that was stained). It was fixed under “goodwill”.

gwatt86

Reaction score
No luck on my FlexSeal. It rained yesterday and had the same leak. I'm about to start looking for another truck, this is crazy they continue to have this problem and don't address it.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
No luck on my FlexSeal. It rained yesterday and had the same leak. I'm about to start looking for another truck, this is crazy they continue to have this problem and don't address it.

You're probably leaking from the shark fin antenna. It took the dealer 3 times to figure that out for me :rolleyes:

mikerasi

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 that is about to roll over the 3yr/36k and wouldn't you know it, after cleaning the interior this weekend and picking up the rear mats I saw white mold and the floor was soaked. I cleaned up everything and let the truck dry out before putting the mats back in. This morning it is raining and the whole back is wet again. A quick google search brought me here where I found others with the same issue. I checked and my window frame is cracked in 2 places. Called the dealership that I bought it from and was told they don't do glass repair and its probably not going to be covered anyway. Called another dealer and hoping they will work with me. I had a 2012 Ram that leaked from the cab light and if this won't be fixed by dodge then I will be truck shopping! Aboslutely nuts that something like this is common and not covered.
- update - I made it to a local dealership with 11 miles to go on my 3yr/36k. There was a tech at the counter that said this is a common issue in 2019's and that once the window and frame is replaced it should be good to go. Still waiting to hear back, they said once they submit the claim it can take up to a few weeks to get a response. I had mold on the carpet so they put in a claim to replace that too. Last night we had a good rain and I realized the back seat is soaked as well so I'm going to ask about that as well.

gwatt86

Reaction score
You're probably leaking from the shark fin antenna. It took the dealer 3 times to figure that out for me :rolleyes:
Maybe so. I went around it a while back with some silicone but I ran out right at the end so there is still a spot that is "open".

Users who are viewing this thread