5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

cw77

Reaction score
Thank you for mentioning us and bringing this to our attention!

Our team is sorry to hear about both of your vehicle concerns @cw77 and @mikeru82. Should either of you like additional support throughout your dealer appointment (or in @mikeru82's case, your daughter's vehicle) we encourage you to send us a private message! Our team is always one PM away and are here to listen.

Let us know if you're interested!
Hannah
Ram Cares
Didn't realize my forum notifications weren't working, so didn't know anyone had replied - sorry about that.

@RamCares - Thanks for the offer to assist! I do believe I'll PM you for some help. I had to wait a month to get the initial appointment, where dealer took pics for the claim. I took truck back in Sep 9th (to replace passenger side mirror) only to be told my window claim "had been lost".

Curlymurt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 1500 with the cracked sliding rear window frame. 7900 miles. dealer is saying not under warranty???? any help
Should be covered. Mine is cracked and covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. It's not leaking crazily (just the occasional water drop outline on the inside window, no staining) so I've not ran back in to get it fixed. I don't like the idea of fixing a problem just to have the same problem in the future.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 1500 with the cracked sliding rear window frame. 7900 miles. dealer is saying not under warranty???? any help
You need to find another dealer if you’re being told that it is not covered under your basic factory warranty. I would also put that dealer on blast

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was my truck this evening. 2021 ram 1500, 500 miles. Got home and noticed the front windshield fogged up. Got in the car didn’t see anything wet but felt behind the paneling along the rear wall and the wall was all wet. Carpet and underneath the carpet are not wet. It has been raining the entire week and I haven’t driven the truck all week long so it’s just a little odd that if the window is leaking or the third brake light was leaking there should be some type of evidence on the carpet. But only the rear wall was what
0A895B2B-E6FB-4B9A-96F1-5D55F1077882.jpeg 2D2F4BF2-3B5B-4AE3-9FD3-A7EDB8FEFDD6.jpeg

cw77

Reaction score
Didn't realize my forum notifications weren't working, so didn't know anyone had replied - sorry about that.

@RamCares - Thanks for the offer to assist! I do believe I'll PM you for some help. I had to wait a month to get the initial appointment, where dealer took pics for the claim. I took truck back in Sep 9th (to replace passenger side mirror) only to be told my window claim "had been lost".
Finally got my rear window replaced yesterday. Ram (or the dealer, really not sure??) covered most of it, only requiring $250 "customer participation" from me. Still think Ram should have just stood completely behind their product, since this is obviously a widespread issue, but $250 beats the heck out of $1000+.

Now to go set a sprinkler on the roof & see if it worked... 🤞

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Finally got my rear window replaced yesterday. Ram (or the dealer, really not sure??) covered most of it, only requiring $250 "customer participation" from me. Still think Ram should have just stood completely behind their product, since this is obviously a widespread issue, but $250 beats the heck out of $1000+.

Now to go set a sprinkler on the roof & see if it worked... 🤞
Wait, what? You had to pay a portion of it?
Is your truck out of warranty?

cw77

Reaction score
Wait, what? You had to pay a portion of it?
Is your truck out of warranty?
Yeah, I was at 40k when I first took it in. And, as others have mentioned, extended usually has exclusions for water intrusion. I'm glad some of it was covered, but still feel Ram should have just taken care of it.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I was at 40k when I first took it in. And, as others have mentioned, extended usually has exclusions for water intrusion. I'm glad some of it was covered, but still feel Ram should have just taken care of it.
Your out of warranty, They no longer have any responsibility to help you whether it be a common issue or not. You just got lucky.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @cevans6318!

We would like to look into this situation alongside your dealer should you decide to work with them. Please send us a private message with your vehicle's model year and mileage as well as any additional updates that may be relevant for us to see. Thank you!

Also, for those who may be experiencing similar concerns please don't hesitate to reach out.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Jam1324

Reaction score
Hello @cevans6318!

We would like to look into this situation alongside your dealer should you decide to work with them. Please send us a private message with your vehicle's model year and mileage as well as any additional updates that may be relevant for us to see. Thank you!

Also, for those who may be experiencing similar concerns please don't hesitate to reach out.

Hannah
Ram Cares
I just noticed a similar thing on my truck, its a 2019 ram 1500 5th gen. I have staining on the ceiling along the back window, and water drips on top of the bench seats by the head rests. Can you do anything to help out Canadians? Ive had the truck for 25 weeks but think I have a 3/60 + a 5 year gold 415 warrantee on top of that. I see the warrantee book says 1 year for front and back windows, but the glass is fine its just the seal, or the brake light or shark fin maybe. Going to contact the dealer today but am never hopeful when doing so.

Jam1324

Reaction score

dairdavel

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and the vehicle has developed the rear window leak problem. My vehicle is out of warranty, but this is something Ram should fix for all customers because it is clearly a design defect. In fact, there's a technical service bulletin (Mopar/FCA TSB 23-016-21 titled "Water Leaks at Sliding Backlite") and a STAR Online Publication (Case S2023000024) for this very problem. A well taken care of 3-year-old vehicle should not have water intrusion problems in the passenger compartment. I've isolated the problem in my vehicle to the rear window frame which has the crack caused by the defective window frame design (the leak is not coming from the 3rd brake light or roof antenna). It appears that many 2019 and 2020 Ram 1500s have this problem, so buyer beware.

I tried contacting Ram Customer Care by phone to get some assistance. Two representatives gave contradictory information. The first told me he thought Ram might help because this problem is so prevalent, but required me to get an appointment at a dealer to confirm the problem in order to have an active case with Ram. After I made the appointment and called Ram Customer Care back to open a case, the next representative told me the first representative was wrong and said Ram would not help (and that I did not need an appointment to have an open case). She also told me that my insurance should cover it (which is wrong on multiple levels). Then I tried emailing Ram Customer Care at [email protected] but have not received a reply. I put an old fashioned letter to Ram Customer Care in the mail this morning. I also spoke with a service advisor at my local dealership about this problem and also requested a repair quote. She said she would research it and get back to me, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

To Ram: please make this right for all customers and stand behind your product. A properly designed rear window frame should last decades!

Hannah from Ram Customer Care: if you see this post, I would love some assistance with this problem.

Rear_Window_Frame_Crack.jpg

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and the vehicle has developed the rear window leak problem. My vehicle is out of warranty, but this is something Ram should fix for all customers because it is clearly a design defect. In fact, there's a technical service bulletin (Mopar/FCA TSB 23-016-21 titled "Water Leaks at Sliding Backlite") and a STAR Online Publication (Case S2023000024) for this very problem. A well taken care of 3-year-old vehicle should not have water intrusion problems in the passenger compartment. I've isolated the problem in my vehicle to the rear window frame which has the crack caused by the defective window frame design (the leak is not coming from the 3rd brake light or roof antenna). It appears that many 2019 and 2020 Ram 1500s have this problem, so buyer beware.

I tried contacting Ram Customer Care by phone to get some assistance. Two representatives gave contradictory information. The first told me he thought Ram might help because this problem is so prevalent, but required me to get an appointment at a dealer to confirm the problem in order to have an active case with Ram. After I made the appointment and called Ram Customer Care back to open a case, the next representative told me the first representative was wrong and said Ram would not help (and that I did not need an appointment to have an open case). She also told me that my insurance should cover it (which is wrong on multiple levels). Then I tried emailing Ram Customer Care at [email protected] but have not received a reply. I put an old fashioned letter to Ram Customer Care in the mail this morning. I also spoke with a service advisor at my local dealership about this problem and also requested a repair quote. She said she would research it and get back to me, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

To Ram: please make this right for all customers and stand behind your product. A properly designed rear window frame should last decades!

Hannah from Ram Customer Care: if you see this post, I would love some assistance with this problem.

View attachment 108391
If you have glass coverage from your insurance company...

I wont finish the rest of that sentence but it would get you a new back window (and frame as it is one unit) and it wont be the $1,400 the dealership wants, which is outrageous considering FCA should be footing the bill on every single cracked frame regardless of year or mileage. Airbags live in that area, airbags hate moisture, is this not a safety concern prompting a recall? @RamCares ?

RamCares

Reaction score
Greetings @dairdavel,

We're sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you catching us up to speed. Our team would like to review this matter further to see what we can do. Let's work together on this! Please send us a private message with your assigned case number for us to review.

Also, we appreciate the mention @Scram1500!

Hannah
Ram Cares

dairdavel

Reaction score
Greetings @dairdavel,

We're sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you catching us up to speed. Our team would like to review this matter further to see what we can do. Let's work together on this! Please send us a private message with your assigned case number for us to review.

Also, we appreciate the mention @Scram1500!

Hannah
Ram Cares
Thanks for the reply Hannah. I started a private conversation with RamCares yesterday and provided very detailed information. Please let me know if there is some other way to send you a private message with the information.

dairdavel

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Hannah. I started a private conversation with RamCares yesterday and provided very detailed information. Please let me know if there is some other way to send you a private message with the information.
For those interested. Although this forum shows someone who got some help with this design defect outside of warranty, Hannah and her team decided not to provide any assistance with helping to resolve this issue for me. How @RamCares comes to the decision that a leak in the cabin compartment of a 2019 Ram from a design flaw is acceptable in any way is beyond me, regardless of vehicle miles. As I said, buyer beware. I agree with @Scram1500, FCA should take care of this for customers, at least come to some sort of arrangement like donating the new parts as an act of goodwill with the customer paying for labor. Maybe @RamCares is an inappropriate name.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those interested. Although this forum shows someone who got some help with this design defect outside of warranty, Hannah and her team decided not to provide any assistance with helping to resolve this issue for me. How @RamCares comes to the decision that a leak in the cabin compartment of a 2019 Ram from a design flaw is acceptable in any way is beyond me, regardless of vehicle miles. As I said, buyer beware. I agree with @Scram1500, FCA should take care of this for customers, at least come to some sort of arrangement like donating the new parts as an act of goodwill with the customer paying for labor. Maybe @RamCares is an inappropriate name.
Speaking from experience, unless you are a big time spender at the dealer, the manufacture doesn't care about you nor are they going to help you when you get out of warranty. Why should they come to your aid to pay for something when you haven't proven to be loyal to the brand. I have worked at the same dealer for 15 yrs and see things like this all the time. When customers complain to the manufacture and the factory rep gets involved, the first thing they look at is your history with the dealer or the brand in general. If the rep see's that you don't spend money at the dealer for services or tires and brakes, etc.... they usually tell you to **** off. The customers that do all of there scheduled services and buy tires, brakes, alignments, etc usually get a one time goodwill from the dealer or manufacture. As I said before, it sucks but it is what it is. once your out of warranty, they have no obligation to help you whether the issue is common or not.

Users who are viewing this thread