5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear sliding window leaking

PHRebel85

Reaction score
Thank you for following up to share this update, judsonlimited. I am glad to hear that your dealer is working with you on this. Please do not hesitate to send us a PM if any additional support is needed during that process.

Mark
RamCares

PHRebel85

Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 used last year with 13k miles. It has been garaged kept so I didn't notice the leak until I had to park outside when we put my son's furniture in the garage. I now have 15k miles on it. Took it to my dealer today and they showed me the cracks in the rear window frame right away. Since it was sold new in October 2018, it is out of warranty. Is there anything RamCares can do to assist with getting this replaced under warranty?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 used last year with 13k miles. It has been garaged kept so I didn't notice the leak until I had to park outside when we put my son's furniture in the garage. I now have 15k miles on it. Took it to my dealer today and they showed me the cracks in the rear window frame right away. Since it was sold new in October 2018, it is out of warranty. Is there anything RamCares can do to assist with getting this replaced under warranty?
Hi,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please follow up with me via PM at your earliest convenience so we can try our best to help.

Rob
Ram Cares

Dshall

Reaction score
Mine had the same issue. Out of warranty by 7000 miles but Ram covered the replacement. It is a known issue

HeyDaddy61

Reaction score
Just got both manifolds covered under warranty on my 19 1500. And this morning I noticed the rear slider has the infamous crack, with headliner stains. I am still in warrany so finders crossed.

Wreckm

Reaction score
Having same issue with my rear window and an even bigger issue trying to get a response from my service advisor..
2020 Rebel
Dealer looked at vehicle and approved rear window and steering wheel on 9/30/21
No call since ive reached out 2 times 12/15/21 and 12/23/21
Wondering if i can get @RamCares to shine some light

RamCares

Reaction score
Having same issue with my rear window and an even bigger issue trying to get a response from my service advisor..
2020 Rebel
Dealer looked at vehicle and approved rear window and steering wheel on 9/30/21
No call since ive reached out 2 times 12/15/21 and 12/23/21
Wondering if i can get @RamCares to shine some light
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

sessman

Reaction score
I had this issue on my 2019 before it was totaled (in addition to the fuel neck filling issue). Neither issue so far on my 2021 (thank God).

SortItOut

Reaction score
@RamCares, I'm having the same rear window frame leak issue. I just purchased the truck (2019, 34k+ miles, 37 months old). It is at the dealer now but I'm not having much luck.

RamCares

Reaction score
@RamCares, I'm having the same rear window frame leak issue. I just purchased the truck (2019, 34k+ miles, 37 months old). It is at the dealer now but I'm not having much luck.
Hi,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

PROD49

Reaction score
Mine was is out of warranty and is in shop now getting replaced and covered by dealer.
bfd6bfecd8f8220efb9d9b11b426c466.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SortItOut

Reaction score
for someone who just bought the truck, has no history with the dealers and is out of warranty, highly doubt the dealer is gonna goodwill anything.

The part was broken prior to me parking it in my driveway. In other words, under 36 months, under 36k miles. If you read the bumper to bumper 36k mile 36 month "limited" warranty I'm not sure this is ever covered. It might be under the 12 months on gaskets and seals. But this is a plastic frame. And its definitely not covered under any extended warranty. Yet, this has been taken care of for thousands of people. Even second owners. And many owners with more miles then I have (40k and 50k from what I have seen). There is a TSB (23-016-21) and there is a Star publication on the problem. Actually, two of them (S2023000024 and S2023000005 Rev A). FCAs reputation (and maybe fear of a class action?) mean something to them. This is a defect in 2019, 2020, and early 2021 (prior to the new part design, new part numbers, making it out) DT models. There are examples of this exact issue in trucks that had less then 5k miles on them. Check the forums, check the Facebook groups.

My understanding is dealers do not make money on warranty / good will work and do not like to do it if they do not need to. Even though it is part of the agreement between a dealer and FCA. I could not even get my dealer to give me a case number confirming they called FCA. Sometimes it takes a push from FCA to get it done. Other owners have had the same issue.

I'm not much for games and I am not here to argue with you. It is not your decision to make and you have no stake in the outcome so I am not sure why you feel the need to voice your opinion and speak out against a resolution. I am here for RamCares as they have been a constant in helping others with this issue when a dealer will not. They have been prompt and responsive. I now have a case number. Even if they do not cover it (which would be frustrating), I know it at least was looked at by FCA and I was not just blown off.

If we don't take care of our customers, someone else will.
- Edgar Mitchell

This is my first Ram. And that about sums it up.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The part was broken prior to me parking it in my driveway. In other words, under 36 months, under 36k miles. If you read the bumper to bumper 36k mile 36 month "limited" warranty I'm not sure this is ever covered. It might be under the 12 months on gaskets and seals. But this is a plastic frame. And its definitely not covered under any extended warranty. Yet, this has been taken care of for thousands of people. Even second owners. And many owners with more miles then I have (40k and 50k from what I have seen). There is a TSB (23-016-21) and there is a Star publication on the problem. Actually, two of them (S2023000024 and S2023000005 Rev A). FCAs reputation (and maybe fear of a class action?) mean something to them. This is a defect in 2019, 2020, and early 2021 (prior to the new part design, new part numbers, making it out) DT models. There are examples of this exact issue in trucks that had less then 5k miles on them. Check the forums, check the Facebook groups.

My understanding is dealers do not make money on warranty / good will work and do not like to do it if they do not need to. Even though it is part of the agreement between a dealer and FCA. I could not even get my dealer to give me a case number confirming they called FCA. Sometimes it takes a push from FCA to get it done. Other owners have had the same issue.

I'm not much for games and I am not here to argue with you. It is not your decision to make and you have no stake in the outcome so I am not sure why you feel the need to voice your opinion and speak out against a resolution. I am here for RamCares as they have been a constant in helping others with this issue when a dealer will not. They have been prompt and responsive. I now have a case number. Even if they do not cover it (which would be frustrating), I know it at least was looked at by FCA and I was not just blown off.

If we don't take care of our customers, someone else will.
- Edgar Mitchell

This is my first Ram. And that about sums it up.
dealers make money on any repair they do, warranty, goodwill, ext warranty, insurance, etc... Dealers get paid by the manufacture on warranty work. Dealers usually goodwill jobs for good customers. They also goodwill stuff in isolated cases. For someone who just bought their vehicle and is out of warranty and shows up to the dealer with a problem and wants a free repair , they usually will tell you too **** off. Dealer will laugh at you when you use the excuse (it was already their before when I was in warranty). Exactly what happened to you. What does the dealer owe you? What have you done for the dealer? Dealers tend to help out customers who spend money with them. I don't tell you this to discourage you, I tell you cause I have experience at the dealer, worked their for 16 yrs. Yes ram cares may or may not help you, just don't be shocked if they don't.

alexsears

Reaction score
I just got my 2019 1500 Limited 29 months/41k miles, back from the dealer here in GA, who was replacing my dash. I had them look at the rear window as I noticed it leaking a couple of days before when we had a little rain. They verified that it was cracked, at least the interior trim piece, and that the window and 3rd breaklight needed to be replaced, all at my cost, $2100. Even with my Maxi Care extended warranty. Like everyone else...glass is only covered in the first 36k/36 month window. Some of the parts are on backorder too. I've reach out to RamCares so I hope to hear back from them soon as we are getting into the rainy season...like last night. Plastic bag over the light did the trick over night so I was dry this morning.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my 2019 1500 Limited 29 months/41k miles, back from the dealer here in GA, who was replacing my dash. I had them look at the rear window as I noticed it leaking a couple of days before when we had a little rain. They verified that it was cracked, at least the interior trim piece, and that the window and 3rd breaklight needed to be replaced, all at my cost, $2100. Even with my Maxi Care extended warranty. Like everyone else...glass is only covered in the first 36k/36 month window. Some of the parts are on backorder too. I've reach out to RamCares so I hope to hear back from them soon as we are getting into the rainy season...like last night. Plastic bag over the light did the trick over night so I was dry this morning.
You can buy the 3rd brake light online for less than $50 and install it yourself, very easy. You can also leak test the car yourself and see if the brake light is even leaking. Dealer may have just recommended it as it is a common leak point.

Jako

Reaction score
You can buy the 3rd brake light online for less than $50 and install it yourself, very easy. You can also leak test the car yourself and see if the brake light is even leaking. Dealer may have just recommended it as it is a common leak point.
Be aware the screws are also changed and how tight or not to make the screws. I chose to be proactive versus a potential headache and dealer visit.

Camelot

Reaction score
dealers make money on any repair they do, warranty, goodwill, ext warranty, insurance, etc... Dealers get paid by the manufacture on warranty work. Dealers usually goodwill jobs for good customers. They also goodwill stuff in isolated cases. For someone who just bought their vehicle and is out of warranty and shows up to the dealer with a problem and wants a free repair , they usually will tell you too **** off. Dealer will laugh at you when you use the excuse (it was already their before when I was in warranty). Exactly what happened to you. What does the dealer owe you? What have you done for the dealer? Dealers tend to help out customers who spend money with them. I don't tell you this to discourage you, I tell you cause I have experience at the dealer, worked their for 16 yrs. Yes ram cares may or may not help you, just don't be shocked if they don't.

Glad I am not dealing with that dealership, looks like the poster child of what gives dealers a bad reputation.
- Dealer will tell you to **** off
- Dealer will laugh at you!
- What have you done for the dealer?

Not my experience with reputable dealerships regardless of brand. Clearly the one with the attitude above is not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread