5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end clunk

rraulston

Reaction score
Why couldn't you drill/tap/insert a grease zirk and grease it with a grease gun??

tcutlip89

Reaction score
It was a temporary fix, grease disappeared after about 100 miles. Defective drive shafts should have a recall, terrible!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was a temporary fix, grease disappeared after about 100 miles. Defective drive shafts should have a recall, terrible!

I used Ford PTFE grease on mine. 1,000 or so miles and still good.

bswannack

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn has been in the shop 8 times now, 3 times for the same clunking sound in the rear-end. Each time, they cannot get it to duplicate, so they don't do ANYTHING. I have 3 people besides myself that bought the same pickup in 2018 and they have all traded theirs off. This clunking sound happens going down the freeway at 60-75 MPH. It almost feels like it partially locks up. I have also had terrible road noise (I'm almost deaf) out the back passenger door. They state they put new molding in, yet it has only gotten worse. I talked to the New Car Manager and he jerked me around telling me he'd do what he could, but never made me an offer except to get into a new one with new payments. I have bought 4 new cars from same dealership in 3 years.....you'd think they'd treat me more than fair.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn has been in the shop 8 times now, 3 times for the same clunking sound in the rear-end. Each time, they cannot get it to duplicate, so they don't do ANYTHING. I have 3 people besides myself that bought the same pickup in 2018 and they have all traded theirs off. This clunking sound happens going down the freeway at 60-75 MPH. It almost feels like it partially locks up. I have also had terrible road noise (I'm almost deaf) out the back passenger door. They state they put new molding in, yet it has only gotten worse. I talked to the New Car Manager and he jerked me around telling me he'd do what he could, but never made me an offer except to get into a new one with new payments. I have bought 4 new cars from same dealership in 3 years.....you'd think they'd treat me more than fair.
Just had a chance to respond to your PM on this, @bswannack!

Mark
RamCares

JMD227

Reaction score
Interesting, I have a very noticeable clunk in two specific situations.

1. Pulling into the parking garage at work you stop on an incline to use your badge. Every single time starting from this stop there is a clunk in the rear. I was starting to think maybe I was clipping the height clearance bar or maybe there was a rain gutter I was stopping on and shifting. Apparently not.

2. When towing, I will get a clunk randomly while either stopping fully or accelerating from a stop. I played with my trailer brake some and decided it was maybe my hits shifting slightly within the receiver, but I am using the same one from my Ford and never had this issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting, I have a very noticeable clunk in two specific situations.

1. Pulling into the parking garage at work you stop on an incline to use your badge. Every single time starting from this stop there is a clunk in the rear. I was starting to think maybe I was clipping the height clearance bar or maybe there was a rain gutter I was stopping on and shifting. Apparently not.

2. When towing, I will get a clunk randomly while either stopping fully or accelerating from a stop. I played with my trailer brake some and decided it was maybe my hits shifting slightly within the receiver, but I am using the same one from my Ford and never had this issue.
Hi @JMD227 - If you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message so that we may escalate a case on your behalf for further support!

Mark
RamCares

bswannack

Reaction score
I have a 19 Limited that has developed a “clunk” in the rear end. When driving and coming to a stop, I get a clunk almost like a bad joint or a brake caliber sticking and releasing. I heard there was an issue with driveshafts but the search did not bring up anything. Does not feel like transmission but from the rear of the truck. Anyone else have this going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did they ever figure out the issue? I have had mine in the shop multiple times for same fix and they won't touch it unless it duplicates when they drive it. It's pissing me off!

Rollint

Reaction score
I've developed this issue over the last 500 miles (started at 9,000 mi) and am wondering about if there is any definitive cause determined yet

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Defect in manufactured drive shaft, Ram should recall these POS drive shafts. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 2 wheel drive, only 22k miles....it has been doing this clunk since 12k miles. BS!

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I had my tranny flashed, a new valve body and now just had my transmission replaced at 29,000miles when I took it in for the same clunk in early March. Seemed to go away but now that the temps are in the high 60’s to low 70’s the clunk is back. 😡 I believe it is driveshaft related as well. April 2019 build date. 3.92‘s.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ 2 piece seems to be a slight issue. Same as 4th gens. The ZF 8 speed clunk is not uncommon and seems to just be dealt with. As in your case, everything and then some gets changed and still same.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hear a clunk sometimes not sure where it comes from.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
It’s frustrating to say the least. My wife’s Jeep has a zf 8spd and it’s amazing. My dad’s 2018 1500 has the same tranny and no issues. When unloaded, my truck feels like I have a trailer back there bucking at stops and starts.

Last edited:

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s frustrating to say the least. My wife’s Jeep has a zf 8spd and it’s amazing. My dad’s 2018 1500 has the same tranny and no issues. When unloaded, my truck feels like I have a trailer back there bucking at stops and starts.
I’ve had the same issue. I took the slip joint apart in the driveshaft and greased with the right stuff and it was gone for about 1000 miles then came back. I’ve learned to live with it since there isn’t a fix.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I’ve had the same issue. I took the slip joint apart in the driveshaft and greased with the right stuff and it was gone for about 1000 miles then came back. I’ve learned to live with it since there isn’t a fix.
I’m convinced it’s driveline slop. Like your efforts show, when greased it’s fine. Mine is totally temp related which indicates clearances and lubrication issues in my opinion. A new drive shaft is about $700 from a wholesale mopar parts dealer. I wonder if anyone has tried a one piece custom unit.

Users who are viewing this thread