5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end clunk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no idea whether the axle lock contributed to your issue. But in any case, for wet roads you'd be better of putting it in 4 auto. The clutches will kick in when needed and lock up temporarily, it's a "fire and forget" system essentially giving you AWD and then you don't have to worry about damaging the system or turning it off when going around a corner. The 4 auto was designed to fix your exact and other similar scenarios; 2wd 99% of the time, but automatically becoming 4wd during those brief moments of slippage.
I agree with you. I do use it here and there. Just beening general, it’s new. So been trying all the stuff to see how it reacts in different situations. The noise my have nothing to do with it.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, while I was changing my oil I crawled under the truck and noticed I have a carrier bearing in the middle of my driveshaft (CC and 6'4" bed). I also noticed that it was a rubber isolation mount and that it moved quite a bit, I am thinking that is where my "clunk" is coming from. Mine has definitely gotten worse in the last 11k miles
Anyone else thought the same or got the dealer to do anything?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, while I was changing my oil I crawled under the truck and noticed I have a carrier bearing in the middle of my driveshaft (CC and 6'4" bed). I also noticed that it was a rubber isolation mount and that it moved quite a bit, I am thinking that is where my "clunk" is coming from. Mine has definitely gotten worse in the last 11k miles
Anyone else thought the same or got the dealer to do anything?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this update, @jdefoe0424. If at any point you move forward with your dealer on this, please know that we are just a private message away and more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lack of grease in the rear area of this strange design of a drive shaft. You have to remove the rear end of drive shaft (4 bolts, 2 bolts holding a support bracket toward middle). Then the clamp closest to the rear of truck on dust cover has to be cut off (factory locked), then the rear of shaft slides out from the ridged area and I'm sure you will find lack of lubrication. Grease it up real good and slide it back in. Waalaaa, mine is smooth as butter now, no more of the "Ram clunk".
70057819db76d7cdd451d3b7bfdfc4c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What did you use to clamp it back after cutting the factory clamp off?

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Spoke too soon, grease wears off after a week or so, then back to the RAM bump in the shaft.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Spoke too soon, grease wears off after a week or so, then back to the RAM bump in the shaft.

My experience so far exactly. Been greased twice by the dealer. IMO, once the wear is there - grease is only a temporary fix. The galling and damage that probably occurs from the dry interaction between both bearing surfaces likely ensures you'll never have a smooth movement on it until it's outright replaced. Working on that right now with my dealer and FCA - who have been very responsive and attentive to my concern.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Any news on replacement, if so, is the RAM bump finally gone?

drbobvs

Reaction score
Brought my Longhorn in today for the second time for this issue. Last time, PCM flash did nothing. Tech drove the vehicle with me and acknowledged the issue. They called and said they're ordering new drive shaft for me. Unfortunately they're telling me it looks like the part wont be in until October. Oh well, at least they're trying.

macallien

Reaction score
Is this problem intermittent for you guys. I had this CLUNK noise for about a week and then it went away. It was very loud and happened mostly at low speeds.

recon15

Reaction score
We actually have another thread going on this same issue. I've had the clunk for the last 12K miles or so (22K on my truck now). Last week i had a 5" lift installed and my clunk is magically GONE. No clue how or why. My clunk was mainly when coming from a stop. As soon as i would hit the gas pedal there was a definite "clunk"; almost felt like a transmission slip. Im at about 600 miles since my lift and it has not come back yet. I wish i knew what the deal was and to my knowledge the drive shaft is not removed when installing a suspension lift.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
We actually have another thread going on this same issue. I've had the clunk for the last 12K miles or so (22K on my truck now). Last week i had a 5" lift installed and my clunk is magically GONE. No clue how or why. My clunk was mainly when coming from a stop. As soon as i would hit the gas pedal there was a definite "clunk"; almost felt like a transmission slip. Im at about 600 miles since my lift and it has not come back yet. I wish i knew what the deal was and to my knowledge the drive shaft is not removed when installing a suspension lift.
It could be that whatever new pinion angle the lift has caused is allowing the shaft to move more freely. They are supposed to move in/out, I think the problem is that the very minimal angle they come with from the factory doesn't force it to move back into it's "neutral" position very easily, whereas a steeper angle might.

recon15

Reaction score
It could be that whatever new pinion angle the lift has caused is allowing the shaft to move more freely. They are supposed to move in/out, I think the problem is that the very minimal angle they come with from the factory doesn't force it to move back into it's "neutral" position very easily, whereas a steeper angle might.
I think you are on to something. Another guy said something similar in another thread.

Kuhda25

Reaction score
Lack of grease in the rear area of this strange design of a drive shaft. You have to remove the rear end of drive shaft (4 bolts, 2 bolts holding a support bracket toward middle). Then the clamp closest to the rear of truck on dust cover has to be cut off (factory locked), then the rear of shaft slides out from the ridged area and I'm sure you will find lack of lubrication. Grease it up real good and slide it back in. Waalaaa, mine is smooth as butter now, no more of the "Ram clunk".
70057819db76d7cdd451d3b7bfdfc4c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Since you greased drive shaft, has the problem come back

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I took my driveshaft out today. Cut the clamp on the backside of the boot closest to the rear end. Marked the driveshaft and slid it most of the way apart. I didn’t pull it completely apart. There was very very little red grease. I watched a ton of videos and everyone recommended FORD PTFE grease for the driveshaft. I put as much of the new grease on the splines as I could. Reattached the boot with a large black zip tie and reinstalled the driveshaft with lock tight on the bolts. Went for a drive and my clunk is gone. Hopefully it stays that way. If not, it was worth a shot and I’ll only be out 2 hours of my time and $13 for the grease.

ram0686

Reaction score
I look forward to your results!!! I read the same about the Ford Grease..... If it works for you... I'll give it a shot too!
Thanks for posting

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I look forward to your results!!! I read the same about the Ford Grease..... If it works for you... I'll give it a shot too!
Thanks for posting
15 miles so far and zero “bump” keeping my fingers crossed that it’s gone!

Vince Shanahan

Reaction score
Mine has 2500 miles on it and yes it make the clunk in the rear end clunk and ticks when first started the challenger i traded it in for no issues with that depressed.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine has 2500 miles on it and yes it make the clunk in the rear end clunk and ticks when first started the challenger i traded it in for no issues with that depressed.

Our team is a private message away and more than willing to ensure you have further support while working with your dealer on your current concerns.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread