5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end clunk

Stickerhead

Reaction score
I have a 19 Limited that has developed a “clunk” in the rear end. When driving and coming to a stop, I get a clunk almost like a bad joint or a brake caliber sticking and releasing. I heard there was an issue with driveshafts but the search did not bring up anything. Does not feel like transmission but from the rear of the truck. Anyone else have this going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Search slip yoke, you'll find it... I've got it too. Just never can make the time to take it in

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 19 Limited that has developed a “clunk” in the rear end. When driving and coming to a stop, I get a clunk almost like a bad joint or a brake caliber sticking and releasing. I heard there was an issue with driveshafts but the search did not bring up anything. Does not feel like transmission but from the rear of the truck. Anyone else have this going on!

Search slip yoke, you'll find it... I've got it too. Just never can make the time to take it in

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hi @Stickerhead & @jdefoe0424 - If you are able to move forward with addressing this with your dealers, please know that we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. Our team is always a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Mine's in right now for the THIRD attempt to fix this.

Attempt #1: new drive shaft, June 2019 [this fixed it for about 500 miles]
Attempt #2: greasing the internal slip yoke on rear part of drive shaft, Oct/Nov 2019 [this did nothing but make the bump smoother, but it was still bad]

It began around 5k miles, and is worse when ambient temps are above 45-50 degrees. I have 26k miles on the truck now, which goes to say, I've 'enjoyed' this problem pretty much the entire time. It's annoying enough where I am seriously considering eating the depreciation and buying a Ford.

RamCares

Reaction score
Mine's in right now for the THIRD attempt to fix this.

Attempt #1: new drive shaft, June 2019 [this fixed it for about 500 miles]
Attempt #2: greasing the internal slip yoke on rear part of drive shaft, Oct/Nov 2019 [this did nothing but make the bump smoother, but it was still bad]

It began around 5k miles, and is worse when ambient temps are above 45-50 degrees. I have 26k miles on the truck now, which goes to say, I've 'enjoyed' this problem pretty much the entire time. It's annoying enough where I am seriously considering eating the depreciation and buying a Ford.

Hi @HKP7PSP - I just had a chance to respond to your private message on this!

Mark
RamCares

ram0686

Reaction score
I GOT THIS SAME PROBLEM! When it warms up in the afternoon, it gets worse. Thought I was going mad until I stumbled across this thread

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mines more noticeable slowing down and make turn on to a different street

RamCares

Reaction score
I GOT THIS SAME PROBLEM! When it warms up in the afternoon, it gets worse. Thought I was going mad until I stumbled across this thread

Sorry to hear this, @ram0686. If you decide to address it with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Stickerhead

Reaction score
Mine is only on acceleration. Does not do it slowing down or turning. Started at about 7k. Got 9.5k on it now. Going to tow my Jeep to Moab in May and don’t want the drive shaft or rear end cratering.
Just went through the fourth dealership busy with my 18 JLUR Wrangler. You would think I would get smart and not buy a FCA product! Miss my Powerstroke!

Stickerhead

Reaction score
Another question, is everyone that is having the problem 4 wheel drive only?

Stickerhead

Reaction score
So it doesn’t matter whether it is 2 or 4 WD. Interesting

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mines 4wd. Rarely use 4wd/auto, unless on ranch or in bad wet conditions. It happens in 2wd tho.

Only other thing I can add/tie into noise starting happening. Was after I started being mindful of using axle lock on wet roads to add to my take off traction. Instead of driving in auto. Yes, I have axle lock disabled when going to do turns.

silver billet

Reaction score
Mines 4wd. Rarely use 4wd/auto, unless on ranch or in bad wet conditions. It happens in 2wd tho.

Only other thing I can add/tie into noise starting happening. Was after I started being mindful of using axle lock on wet roads to add to my take off traction. Instead of driving in auto. Yes, I have axle lock disabled when going to do turns.

I have no idea whether the axle lock contributed to your issue. But in any case, for wet roads you'd be better of putting it in 4 auto. The clutches will kick in when needed and lock up temporarily, it's a "fire and forget" system essentially giving you AWD and then you don't have to worry about damaging the system or turning it off when going around a corner. The 4 auto was designed to fix your exact and other similar scenarios; 2wd 99% of the time, but automatically becoming 4wd during those brief moments of slippage.

silver billet

Reaction score
You guys should have gotten the EcoDiesel. The power onset happens so slowly and gradually that there is never any thunk or jarring from the driveline. :D

Ok that was kinda funny ... :) But joking aside, the ED would be worse in this case, the torque hits much quicker and stronger (full torque at what, 1700 RPM's?), the Hemi builds up peak torque slower (somewhere around 4000 rpms, I'm too lazy to look up exact numbers). The ED also has more torque, so, it's going to tear into that driveline worse than the hemi ever could.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok that was kinda funny ... :) But joking aside, the ED would be worse in this case, the torque hits much quicker and stronger (full torque at what, 1700 RPM's?), the Hemi builds up peak torque slower (somewhere around 4000 rpms, I'm too lazy to look up exact numbers). The ED also has more torque, so, it's going to tear into that driveline worse than the hemi ever could.

Yep, 480 lbs/ft at 1,600 RPM. But, there's a difference between static load and shock load on a driveline, and my point was just to say that the EcoDiesel won't "clunk" like the Hemi because the Hemi's throttle response is snappy and instant, and I believe that snappy, quick power engagement is what causes the clunk when you get back on the throttle. The ED on the other hand takes 3-4 seconds to ramp up it's power when I lay on the throttle a bit, so there's time for the slack in the driveline splines to be taken up before the power really hits.

I was sort of joking, but serious at the same time. :)

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Lack of grease in the rear area of this strange design of a drive shaft. You have to remove the rear end of drive shaft (4 bolts, 2 bolts holding a support bracket toward middle). Then the clamp closest to the rear of truck on dust cover has to be cut off (factory locked), then the rear of shaft slides out from the ridged area and I'm sure you will find lack of lubrication. Grease it up real good and slide it back in. Waalaaa, mine is smooth as butter now, no more of the "Ram clunk".
70057819db76d7cdd451d3b7bfdfc4c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^agree. If I had that drive shaft. I would of done it. Mines the single aluminum one

Users who are viewing this thread