5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential problem

Hex

Reaction score
Anyone with rear differential issues,
Mine just went out on my 2020 Ram 1500 longhorn.. was driving from California to Texas, It happened about 600 miles in.
Left stranded in Arizona 🤬

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine just went out on my 2020 Ram 1500 longhorn.. was driving from California to Texas, It happened about 600 miles in.
Sounds like an anomaly...sorry to hear it messed up your trip. Unfortunately...**** happens as they say:(

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t heard about that one yet . Hopefully they get it fixed and you’ll have no more issues .

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I had rear diff issues. Made noise right from day one. After several trips and discussions with the dealer they finally opened the cover and found the gears were damaged and an adjuster was stripped. The whole rear end was replaced and issue was solved.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That sucks. It's never good to break down, but breaking down hundreds of miles from home is it's own special hell. How many miles are on the truck?

Hex

Reaction score
That sucks. It's never good to break down, but breaking down hundreds of miles from home is it's own special hell. How many miles are on the truck?
Truck currently has 7300... FCA had it towed to the nearest dealer, which is about 50 miles away. Dealer needs 1 week just to get the parts in. Meanwhile my family and I are stuck, having to pay for food and hotel!!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck currently has 7300... FCA had it towed to the nearest dealer, which is about 50 miles away. Dealer needs 1 week just to get the parts in. Meanwhile my family and I are stuck, having to pay for food and hotel!!
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Definitely not what you bargained for when you bought a new truck. You'd think that at over 7k miles you would have worked out any potential bugs. Did they happen to mention exactly what failed in the diff?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they at least offer you a long-term loaner to continue your trip? Insurance have rental coverage? That would really be frustrating to be stranded and staying in a hotel, it is already frustrating when your just at home without a vehicle.

Hex

Reaction score
Did they at least offer you a long-term loaner to continue your trip? Insurance have rental coverage? That would really be frustrating to be stranded and staying in a hotel, it is already frustrating when your just at home without a vehicle.
They offered a loaner, but can’t leave the state of Arizona. A have a claim going with FCA, but they seem to not be doing much about it..

MCRUdy51

Reaction score
Just returned from a trip FL to Michigan and back. My 2020 Ram Laramie started feeling like it was stuck in the mud. Gas mileage around town has dropped from 17mpg down in the 11-12 range. It feels like there is a shudder as well when starting to drive. I just dropped at dealer for check and hoping for resolution.
Did you ever get resolution to your issue?

psheridan1964

Reaction score
Yes, just dropped off at dealership with 3290 miles, was told diff needed a full bearing rebuild. On the front end, truck also has a bad rack and pinion. As you might imagine, I am not a happy customer of Ram right now. It's my first full size truck, first very expensive vehicle, and before the first service it is a **** show with some major issues. How in the heck does a rack and pinion and rear diff go bad at 3300 miles of fairly light use?

Last edited:

a-ram

Reaction score
Yes. Same problem here in Austria. started after the first 1500km, now at not quite 3000km rear wheels start to lock when I turn.

a-ram

Reaction score
sure wish you all would tell us what truck you have and 4X4 or 4X2
good point:
2021 (may actually be a 2022 model) RAM 1500, QC Laramie Night Edition, 4x4, 5,7 Hemi, electric dif lock, ALP

Last edited:

a-ram

Reaction score
might cause more damage
can you get it towed?
I have to talk to the third party warranty supplier. Rear wheels fully lock when I turn all the way. No more driving possible.

a-ram

Reaction score
Update: had it towed to a local dealer.
They say that roughly 2 litres of oil were missing in the rear dif.
Picked it up today, still hear the sound but no locked rear wheels.

I have got the feeling that this issue has not been solved, but the expensive solution postponed to later...

Maybe it was not a good idea to buy a new Ram. All cars have issues, but this is a pretty severe one for still under 3K km.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Update: had it towed to a local dealer.
They say that roughly 2 litres of oil were missing in the rear dif.
Picked it up today, still hear the sound but no locked rear wheels.

I have got the feeling that this issue has not been solved, but the expensive solution postponed to later...

Maybe it was not a good idea to buy a new Ram. All cars have issues, but this is a pretty severe one for still under 3K km.
if you still hear the sound there might be damage
take it back asap

Users who are viewing this thread