5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential problem

a-ram

Reaction score
Brought it back to the workshop yesterday. The person in charge did a test drive with me. No sound, no locked rear wheels.... until I put it into 4WD High mode. Sound came right in the first light turns at low speeds. When making a 60° - 90° turn, such as into their drive way or into an angled parking spot, the rear wheels locked so badly, that I did not have to use brakes to stop the car.

I am sure they are trying their best, but as there are not many Gen5 Rams in Austria, they have no experience with this issue, although it seems to be a common one. (Is there no recall??)

by the way, when they had originally opened the rear dif, they found that there was too little and foamy oil in it, such as is the case when water enters the dif housing - which certainly was not the case between 0km and 3.000km

a-ram

Reaction score
Here is an update to the story:
They say that according to the user manual, the rear dif will always lock in 4WD HIGH. Therefore, the sound is normal on dry surfaces, as 4WD is not intended to be used on loose surfaces only. Therefore the "brake" when turning all the way.

Can anybody confirm or correct this?

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
Here is an update to the story:
They say that according to the user manual, the rear dif will always lock in 4WD HIGH. Therefore, the sound is normal on dry surfaces, as 4WD is not intended to be used on loose surfaces only. Therefore the "brake" when turning all the way.

Can anybody confirm or correct this?

4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW should NOT be used on dry, paved surfaces unless travelling in a complete straight line. Turning while in those modes on dry paved surfaces will be harmful in the long run. Having noises and driving problems etc when using those modes on dry paved surfaces can be expected.

a-ram

Reaction score
4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW should NOT be used on dry, paved surfaces unless travelling in a complete straight line. Turning while in those modes on dry paved surfaces will be harmful in the long run. Having noises and driving problems etc when using those modes on dry paved surfaces can be expected.
What about keeping the truck in 4WD Auto all the time?

+ my 2017 had no sound on dry surfaces in 4WD High... is there a difference to Gen5?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What about keeping the truck in 4WD Auto all the time?

+ my 2017 had no sound on dry surfaces in 4WD High... is there a difference to Gen5?

It causes premature wear on the tcase clutch pack as well as lower mpg since your front diff is engaged. No reason to keep it on all the time since you can simply push the button while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a-ram

Reaction score
Thank you for the interesting articles and your replies. If I do keep my truck in 4WD Auto om wet surface for example, it will make that whining noise and almost lock the rear wheels when turning. (Depending on the angle)

If I keep it in 2WD, the rear end will slip/over steer during turns on wet surfaces.

I always had my 2017 in 4WD auto and never had the slightest noise, which may be the result of 20in wheels vs 22in wheels now.

Driving a Ram then is significantly different than a Subaru or an Audi...

a-ram

Reaction score
I do have an e-locker.
The Ram cannot be driven with the same carelessness as my Audis could.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Which turns off after 25mph. And yes that’s the differences between a awd and 4wd equipped vehicle.

My new outback is much better in inclement weather than my ram

Scram1500

Reaction score
I do have an e-locker.
The Ram cannot be driven with the same carelessness as my Audis could.
Imagine about 30 years ago it was common, and some heavy duty's today, you had to pull a lever to get 4wd. Nevermind getting out of the vehicle and manually locking the hubs

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Pulling the lever does the same thing as pushing the button. Even 30 years ago they still had an electronic actuator on the front diff that had to engage when you pulled the lever.

Unless we are talking about solid axle trucks.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Pulling the lever does the same thing as pushing the button. Even 30 years ago they still had an electronic actuator on the front diff that had to engage when you pulled the lever.

Unless we are talking about solid axle trucks.

That's all I knew growing up was solid front end meant 4wd, anything else was 2wd, a mental block if you will, it's still hard for me to comprehend a 4wd with an independent front end

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's all I knew growing up was solid front end meant 4wd, anything else was 2wd, a mental block if you will, it's still hard for me to comprehend a 4wd with an independent front end
It gets even more complicated when you layer in the active, computer-assisted, brake traction control.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Gms been doing ifs 4wd since 88. My fathers 88 1500 with almost 400k still works as it should.

Same principle as todays trucks, it’s not new tech.

a-ram

Reaction score
I wonder why other folks are having rear dif related breakdowns with their Gen5 1500s...

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which turns off after 25mph. And yes that’s the differences between a awd and 4wd equipped vehicle.

My new outback is much better in inclement weather than my ram

That's less about the drivetrain/4WD system and more about the fact it's a much smaller/lighter vehicle with a much lower center of gravity, no?

Users who are viewing this thread