5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential problem

fitz7

Reaction score
Anyone with rear differential issues,
Mine just went out on my 2020 Ram 1500 longhorn.. was driving from California to Texas, It happened about 600 miles in.
Left stranded in Arizona 🤬
Just had my rear diff fail at 46,500 km on my 2019 ram 1500 warlock with 5.7 hemi. They tried to void warranty because a cap was missing or something yet service manual said have it inspected at 48,000 km. I smelled burning and thought it was my brakes so i checked my hubcaps incase it was a seized brake calliper. No heat... i keep driving 5 mins and smell burning oil and then look in my drivers mirror and see oil pissing out of the drivers side of my truck as i entered a small town. Parked at a mechanic place and apent the night in my truck. Mechanic called ths dealership bec i said it was under warranty and they said flush it out and refill with oil after inspecting it and a test drive. 3 gas stations in a row on my trip i crawled under my vehicle and saw no issue or leaking oil. 10 hrs in by tranny blows and i see oil apraying all over the bottom and back of my truck. Then they tried to void my warranty saying a cap or some sort of part was missing from my diff. They claimed i owed about 4k in repairs. When i foubd my receipt from the mechanic and the words "contacted name of dodge dealership regarding warranty" they agreed to fix it under warranty. I seriously think these 2019 trucks are flawed and i am selling it once they repair it. I texted my coworker letting him know what happend this week to my diff and he replied hia 2019 ram 1500 sport engine blew at 97k km... so wtf is going on with this year of trucks?

fitz7

Reaction score
I had rear diff issues. Made noise right from day one. After several trips and discussions with the dealer they finally opened the cover and found the gears were damaged and an adjuster was stripped. The whole rear end was replaced and issue was solved.
Just happened to me at 46,500 kms. I think the 2019s are lemons. Going to sell it when i get it back.

fitz7

Reaction score
if you still hear the sound there might be damage
take it back asap
Take it back 100%. Mine had the same issue. They topped up the fluids and then my tranny blew 10 hrs later in the middle of nowhere. I also went to change my air filter a couple weeks b4 that trip and it didn't look fully seated from factory. I found a bee and some small leaves/dust UNDER the engine filter from factory. I am selling my truck once the rear diff is replaced. I don't trust the new rams after this. Plus my buddies 2019 ram 1500 sport just had his engine blow at 97k km. They are trying to void hia warranty if he can't find all his oil change receipts and they were all done by proper oil change places and never by himself. They also tried to void my rear diff issue because a cap was missing but no one serviced or touched it since it left the lot and the manual says inspect tranny fluids at 48,000km...

fitz7

Reaction score
I had rear diff issues. Made noise right from day one. After several trips and discussions with the dealer they finally opened the cover and found the gears were damaged and an adjuster was stripped. The whole rear end was replaced and issue was solved.
My rear diff blew on my 2019 ram 1500 warlock at 46,000 km. They tried to void warranty because a cap for the rear diff was missing when it blew. No one touched the rear diff since i bought it so wtf. They tried to void warranty over the missing cap, however when i heard noise i pulled over at a mechanic shop 5 mins down the road on my trip. I told him it was under warranty and to call dodge to authorize repairs b4 he looks at anything. They said check his diff, refill if necesarry and send me on my way and to book an appointment at the dealership for the following day. It blew 6 hrs later with no noise until it blew. They tried to void my warranty and slap me with a 4,500$ bill saying i must have removed the cap. I showed them the paper work showing the mechanic called dodge and they authorized the work. I had it in writing that he called dodge. The next day they said they would cover it under warranty. Took 2 months for them to get parts. When it was repaired i had to pay 570$ to get it towed to where i moved. I get in it and it still has mild noise coming from the rear but now i have a vibration at all speeds. Booked an appoontment for tuesday at the dealership. I will never be buying another dodge. I purchased it new with the idea that i would save on repair costs and limit breakdowns in cold environments where i work. This vehicle has been a complete lemon. Can a replaced diff cause vibrations? If the bearings and gears blew.. could it have damaged the internal housing and now the new bearings and diff are scraping on the damage caused by the previous diff? I am selling my truck once it is fully fixed. No longer a dodge person.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your description of sudden generation of lots of heat sounds like a jammed/spun bearing. Possibly caused by broken roller cage or stray piece of metal or grit. In all fairness, the cost of moving to your new home is on you, won't dwell on that.

Not knowing what all parts were replaced, I'll guess a damaged pinion or maybe a bearing pressed on a little crooked would cause driveshaft off-center balance issue. Noise is probably incorrect ring/pinion mesh. Doesn't sound like the repair was done very well.

Guesswork on my part, hope you can find someone to sort it out right.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just had my rear diff fail at 46,500 km on my 2019 ram 1500 warlock with 5.7 hemi. They tried to void warranty because a cap was missing or something yet service manual said have it inspected at 48,000 km. I smelled burning and thought it was my brakes so i checked my hubcaps incase it was a seized brake calliper. No heat... i keep driving 5 mins and smell burning oil and then look in my drivers mirror and see oil pissing out of the drivers side of my truck as i entered a small town. Parked at a mechanic place and apent the night in my truck. Mechanic called ths dealership bec i said it was under warranty and they said flush it out and refill with oil after inspecting it and a test drive. 3 gas stations in a row on my trip i crawled under my vehicle and saw no issue or leaking oil. 10 hrs in by tranny blows and i see oil apraying all over the bottom and back of my truck. Then they tried to void my warranty saying a cap or some sort of part was missing from my diff. They claimed i owed about 4k in repairs. When i foubd my receipt from the mechanic and the words "contacted name of dodge dealership regarding warranty" they agreed to fix it under warranty. I seriously think these 2019 trucks are flawed and i am selling it once they repair it. I texted my coworker letting him know what happend this week to my diff and he replied hia 2019 ram 1500 sport engine blew at 97k km... so wtf is going on with this year of trucks?

I'm guessing a general lack of maintenance or some poorly done maintenance to me. You smelled burning oil (likely gear from the diff) because you were missing a cap but saw gear oil on the bottom of the bed and kept driving?
Your tranny blows after a diff service?
Then they tried to void my warranty saying a cap or some sort of part was missing from my diff. They claimed i owed about 4k in repairs. When i foubd my receipt from the mechanic and the words "contacted name of dodge dealership regarding warranty" they agreed to fix it under warranty.
This doesn't even sound believable
Again, sounds like abuse and poor maintenance to me

BowDown

Reaction score
Take it back 100%. Mine had the same issue. They topped up the fluids and then my tranny blew 10 hrs later in the middle of nowhere. I also went to change my air filter a couple weeks b4 that trip and it didn't look fully seated from factory. I found a bee and some small leaves/dust UNDER the engine filter from factory. I am selling my truck once the rear diff is replaced. I don't trust the new rams after this. Plus my buddies 2019 ram 1500 sport just had his engine blow at 97k km. They are trying to void hia warranty if he can't find all his oil change receipts and they were all done by proper oil change places and never by himself. They also tried to void my rear diff issue because a cap was missing but no one serviced or touched it since it left the lot and the manual says inspect tranny fluids at 48,000km...

Which is where those items should be if the air filter was doing its job but best of luck to you on another vehicle

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rear diff blew on my 2019 ram 1500 warlock at 46,000 km. They tried to void warranty because a cap for the rear diff was missing when it blew. No one touched the rear diff since i bought it so wtf. They tried to void warranty over the missing cap, however when i heard noise i pulled over at a mechanic shop 5 mins down the road on my trip. I told him it was under warranty and to call dodge to authorize repairs b4 he looks at anything. They said check his diff, refill if necesarry and send me on my way and to book an appointment at the dealership for the following day. It blew 6 hrs later with no noise until it blew. They tried to void my warranty and slap me with a 4,500$ bill saying i must have removed the cap. I showed them the paper work showing the mechanic called dodge and they authorized the work. I had it in writing that he called dodge. The next day they said they would cover it under warranty. Took 2 months for them to get parts. When it was repaired i had to pay 570$ to get it towed to where i moved. I get in it and it still has mild noise coming from the rear but now i have a vibration at all speeds. Booked an appoontment for tuesday at the dealership. I will never be buying another dodge. I purchased it new with the idea that i would save on repair costs and limit breakdowns in cold environments where i work. This vehicle has been a complete lemon. Can a replaced diff cause vibrations? If the bearings and gears blew.. could it have damaged the internal housing and now the new bearings and diff are scraping on the damage caused by the previous diff? I am selling my truck once it is fully fixed. No longer a dodge person.
Sell now, why wait. Get rid of your headache.

fitz7

Reaction score
I'm guessing a general lack of maintenance or some poorly done maintenance to me. You smelled burning oil (likely gear from the diff) because you were missing a cap but saw gear oil on the bottom of the bed and kept driving?
Your tranny blows after a diff service?

This doesn't even sound believable
Again, sounds like abuse and poor maintenance to me
Mechanic insured the cap was on when i left. I was under the vehicle with him as he put the cover back together b4 refilling it with fluids.

fitz7

Reaction score
Mechanic insured the cap was on when i left. I was under the vehicle with him as he put the cover back together b4 refilling it with fluids as he wanted to show me there was no steel bits or damage to my rear diff at that moment in time.

fitz7

Reaction score
Mechanic insured the cap was on when i left. I was under the vehicle with him as he put the cover back together b4 refilling it with fluids.
I also checked the rear of my vehicle for possible dripping fluids one hour into my drive, again 2 hrs later, 3 hrs later, and another 3 hrs later and then it blew 1.5 hrs after my last look at it. Every time i stopped for food or gas or passed a remote location i would eminspect the rear diff. I was parinoid because it was winter and i didn't want to break down in a remote mountenous area in canadian winter. My trip was supposed to be 16 hrs.

fitz7

Reaction score
Your description of sudden generation of lots of heat sounds like a jammed/spun bearing. Possibly caused by broken roller cage or stray piece of metal or grit. In all fairness, the cost of moving to your new home is on you, won't dwell on that.

Not knowing what all parts were replaced, I'll guess a damaged pinion or maybe a bearing pressed on a little crooked would cause driveshaft off-center balance issue. Noise is probably incorrect ring/pinion mesh. Doesn't sound like the repair was done very well.

Guesswork on my part, hope you can find someone to sort it out right.
Those parts you mentioned ring a bell. They replaced bearings and a pinion.

gofishn

Reaction score

Sounds like this truck hsa got to be well on the pathway to your sates lemon law replacement. Documents how many times its ben seen, for this one issue adn how many days you;ve been without use of it. Research your sates lemon laws and get busy.
'
as mentioned, get rid of it. This is a mass produced item, there are flat out going to be single items that are complete garbage. It is not handcrafted by oen person throughout the manufacturering process like a fine firearm or watch. Its pressed parts, built somehwerre else, slapped together, on a production line.

If you think any other car brand will not hav these issues, go back to watching Disney movies.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Rear gears are not easy to set and shim to get no noise. I'm assuming you're new noise is the gears whinning due to a backlash issue.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rear gears are not easy to set and shim to get no noise. I'm assuming you're new noise is the gears whinning due to a backlash issue.
If it isn't too tight, whine may be merely annoying. Vibration may be more cause for worry.

BowDown

Reaction score

What cap are you talking about, there's no cap on the diff
Screenshot 2022-12-21 190928.png

Screenshot 2022-12-21 191002.png

Users who are viewing this thread