5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential problem

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it’s more about having a advanced awd system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny that we came back around to this. Based on those vids you showed me and other research I've done, I have the impression that this (talking about Subaru's SAWD system)...

"The most important thing about Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is that it sends power to all four wheels continuously."

...is what 4WD High does in our trucks...?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes. But it’s a basic and dumb system. It’s on or off. Really unchanged for decades. Only advancement really is the auto tcase.

Subaru and other awd vehicles have different terrain modes and can move power around from wheel to wheel without cutting power like tc and st does in our trucks.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, so 4WD High is like, 100% power to all wheels all the time, and Subaru's SAWD can like go through a range of power (like, idk, left front gets 60% out of a possible 100%, right rear gets 85%, etc.) and change that "percentage" around on the fly...

a-ram

Reaction score
Why does the rear dif make strange noise on wet roads on intersection turns in 4wd auto?
My outback, my A4 and the last three A6s did not do that...

Scram1500

Reaction score
Is it the diff or tires chirping? Without the actual sound it will be difficult to diagnose. The Audi's have a center differential where the truck has a tranfer case. A transfer case is "rigid" and does not allow speed difference between front and rear wheels. It doesn't take much steering angle before the front and rear fight each other, thats why you avoid using 4wd on dry pavement. You need slippery traction situations to act as the differential. 4auto uses clutches to engage 4wd when slip is detected so you can drive around on mixed traction environments.

Also, do you have a limited slip rear end? That will lock both rear wheels together in slippery situations and you will also hear tire chirping

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, do you have a limited slip rear end? That will lock both rear wheels together in slippery situations and you will also hear tire chirping

Limited-slip rear does not lock the wheels together.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited-slip rear does not lock the wheels together.

While not truly locked, like an e-locker does, the LSD will put power to both wheels should one overspin in relation to the other. In the situation in the posts above, the LSD will act like a locked diff.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While not truly locked, like an e-locker does, the LSD will put power to both wheels should one overspin in relation to the other. In the situation in the posts above, the LSD will act like a locked diff.
Since we're on LSD's (that doesn't sound right)…

I was trying to figure out whether or not I needed to put extra weight in my bed for the winter, but I read a few different things that said if I have/am using 4WD Auto/High and have the LSD that I don't need to. Once article even said I could confuse the systems by changing the weight balance and make things worse. Thoughts?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

LSD will not act like a locked diff, the 1500 uses clutch packs which cannot handle that much slippage. Lose enough traction and it will behave like an open differential.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LSD will not act like a locked diff, the 1500 uses clutch packs which cannot handle that much slippage. Lose enough traction and it will behave like an open differential.

Mine sure behaves like the Lock-Right I had in a Tacoma 25 years ago.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I was trying to figure out whether or not I needed to put extra weight in my bed for the winter, but I read a few different things that said if I have/am using 4WD Auto/High and have the LSD that I don't need to. Once article even said I could confuse the systems by changing the weight balance and make things worse. Thoughts?

No idea, I'm in the deep south. We get icy conditions once every couple years.

Hopefully, some of our northern brethren can chime in.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
There are different types of limited slip differentials.

For instance Gms g80. It will lock up, and then grenade itself depending how you’re using it. But it’s not an e locker.

No you don’t need to add weight in your 4wd truck

That’s generally for long bed singlecabs and 2wd trucks.

HemiDude

Reaction score

If you have good tires and driving habits, you don't have to put weight in the back. If it gives you piece of mind adding it weight, do it - it certainly won't "confuse" the system... by that reasoning no one could carry a load of dirt or tow a trailer in inclement weather

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Gonna find out how good my tires are in snow this weekend. Falken H/T02's, very few people seem to have these, especially in my size. But the reviews I did find were really good, it's still an H/T tire, not even a "light" A/T (like a Cooper AT3 4S), but it seems to be one of the toughest H/T tires out there, and one of the best in snow. I think they're trying to compete directly with the Defender LTX, at least in the light truck segment.

edit: sick looking sidewall for an H/T tire too.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If I had to guess, the same as the stock tires since it’s almost an identical tread design.

I’ve not had issues with the stock tires, as long as you realize you’re still going to slide a little

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had to guess, the same as the stock tires since it’s almost an identical tread design.

I’ve not had issues with the stock tires, as long as you realize you’re still going to slide a little

I mean, they're both still H/T tires but the treads look pretty different to me. Not sure how much difference it will make on snow specifically but I've gotten better grip on dry and wet so far.

71t91hGYivL._AC_SX522_.jpg falva0_ang_xl.jpg

Reactions: c3k

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I meant the Oem Bridgestone
e51eaed4ab6a5c9a2cb2bcc4c73846e0.jpg

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I meant the Oem Bridgestone
e51eaed4ab6a5c9a2cb2bcc4c73846e0.jpg

See, if my truck had come with those I probably wouldn't have changed them right away haha.

Scorpions are not bad tires but their tread and construction clearly was never meant to try and handle the weight of these trucks. Or even a JGC for that matter. They were great on dry pavement and did fine in the rain but were absolute garbage on snow, and with the little bit of off-roading I did.

The Falken's have done better with all of that so far, except I don't know about snow yet.

Users who are viewing this thread