5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading the owners manual, it says 89 gasoline is recommended as it using Top Tier gasoline. The only Top Tier gasoline available locally does not hav

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bruh, we only put the camper in a Walmart parking lot once and didn't even sleep there. Ate a football sized burrito, picked up a couple things at Harbor Freight, then went and slept at the ******* Barrel. :LOL:
Dude, the Cr@cker censor is just too funny! I almost 💩 my shorts laughing!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Always wondered about the whole alcohol fuel thing. I mean, they run it racing right? It does not seem like you would run something with less power.

I guess the engines are not set up for either fuel efficiency or longevity though. Are they super high compression to get the power out of alcohol fuel?

It seems it would take more than a tweak in the tune to use high alcohol ratio fuel in a regular street motor but I am glad to see it works. Options are always good.
The NA Hemis have decent compression from factory. Another benefit of ethanol, at least with E85, is you can safely run more timing than on 87, 89, 91, or 93.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s not handicapping tho. 87 is running normally, and 89 is boosting for more power. Wish someone had the dyno results of both pulls to compare.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not handicapping tho. 87 is running normally, and 89 is boosting for more power. Wish someone had the dyno results of both pulls to compare.
It's actually the opposite. 89 is normal timing. 87 is retarded timing. When the PCM has to retard timing it's not running "normally"

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Then why does the owners manual condone it? How do you know that the ecu doesn’t just advance timing for 89 and is normal for 87?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then why does the owners manual condone it?
money.gif

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then why does the owners manual condone it? How do you know that the ecu doesn’t just advance timing for 89 and is normal for 87?
The PCM can't tell what octane fuel you have in it. There are knock sensors on the engine that detect knock, aka detonation. When running lower octane there is greater chance for detonation. When the knock sensors detect that it tells the PCM to retard the timing to prevent it from damaging the engine. The knock sensors can detect detonation well before it becomes audible. The only time the PCM will "advance" timing is when it stops detecting detonation and will return it back to "normal" base timing of the tune.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The PCM can't tell what octane fuel you have in it. There are knock sensors on the engine that detect knock, aka detonation. When running lower octane there is greater chance for detonation. When the knock sensors detect that it tells the PCM to retard the timing to prevent it from damaging the engine. The knock sensors can detect detonation well before it becomes audible. The only time the PCM will "advance" timing is when it stops detecting detonation and will return it back to "normal" base timing of the tune.
Well, I guess my truck with continue to be retarded until I need to tow. 😉

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
87 octane for a V8. Unless you want to just set money on fire......

All depends on what your tune is meant for. If you have a tune designed for 93 octane and you run 87 octane you will destroy your combustion chambers with detonation. Read above where I explained how the knock sensors work on these trucks. If you have a tune for higher octane fuel and run a lower octane and get detonation. The PCM will reduce timing, effectively cancelling out the better any benefit the higher timing gave you. So while you CAN run 87, it will reduce the performance of the engine as the PCM pulls timing.

So talk about setting money on firez you paid for a truck tuned for best performance on 89 octane and effectively choose to not run the engine at it's optimum performance, effecting both horsepower and fuel mileage.

Majortom

Reaction score

Idahoktm

Reaction score
All depends on what your tune is meant for. If you have a tune designed for 93 octane and you run 87 octane you will destroy your combustion chambers with detonation. Read above where I explained how the knock sensors work on these trucks. If you have a tune for higher octane fuel and run a lower octane and get detonation. The PCM will reduce timing, effectively cancelling out the better any benefit the higher timing gave you. So while you CAN run 87, it will reduce the performance of the engine as the PCM pulls timing.

So talk about setting money on firez you paid for a truck tuned for best performance on 89 octane and effectively choose to not run the engine at it's optimum performance, effecting both horsepower and fuel mileage.
That doesn't make sense to me. In the video, the same timing was optimum for 87 and 91 octane fuel. If what you're saying is true, that engine would have required different timing for each fuel to get peak performance. That motor has 10.7:1 compression and makes more HP and torque than the stock 5.7 Hemi, so why would the stock Hemi with 10.5:1 compression pistons need more than 87 octane to provide peak power?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense to me. In the video, the same timing was optimum for 87 and 91 octane fuel. If what you're saying is true, that engine would have required different timing for each fuel to get peak performance. That motor has 10.7:1 compression and makes more HP and torque than the stock 5.7 Hemi, so why would the stock Hemi with 10.5:1 compression pistons need more than 87 octane to provide peak power?
One video on YouTube isn't the end all be all for how it works. If there was no need for different octane levels, the oil companies wouldn't make different octane levels. And tuners wouldn't require certain octane levels based on the tune. If you understand how octane works, then that video is what doesn't make sense

Edit: watched video again, even though I had in the past, just to refresh my memory. They explain in the beginning why none of them would run 87 in that engine in the street. Octane is just a resistance to detonation. The power potential of the fuel doesn't change.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do they address the software in the video?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

..........which is exactly why they said multiple times that you should use the lowest octane you can without detonation. And the Ram doesn't detonate at 87 octane because the tune is designed for it per the Ram owners manual.

So basically you just told us nothing.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Lol it does noticeably detonate under load with 87. Meaning while not under a large load it doesn’t do it quite as bad and most don’t notice. But the computer catches it and retards the timing pulling some performance.

Thus why they recommend 89 for best performance and mpg.

Or maybe ram
Is in with big oil and wants you to spend money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread