5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading the owners manual, it says 89 gasoline is recommended as it using Top Tier gasoline. The only Top Tier gasoline available locally does not hav

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It says you can run 15% ethanol, not any higher. Hemis are not flex fuel compatible.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For $799 it can be though!

If e85 ever goes back to half the price of 87 I’ll probably do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

That's pretty cool.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Difference between saving on the price of fuel you should be running, and just being cheap by running 87 to save a couple dollars. I also have to run 91 octane or better since I have the Pulsar.
Once again, nothing wrong or "cheap" running the fuel these mid priced mass produced trucks were designed to run on. No damage should occur from running the fuel they were designed to run on or they would not tell us it was designed for it and still warranty it.

There seems to be some mistake confusing octane rating with quality for some strange reason. I am sure it is understood that this rating is just the burn rate.

You have chosen to override the factory programming and void the warranty by going outside the parameters and have your truck run on 91 or higher. That's a choice. Not a bad one, performance mods can be fun. I have a custom tune in my car. Just for kicks.

Interested in hearing your take on this Pro Flex set up if you know anything about it.

Dewey

Reaction score
Almost 230,000 miles on my last two Hemi’s and never ran more than 87 octane. Maybe if I towed at the upper range I might notice a difference but for everyday driving it’s not really a big issue.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, nothing wrong or "cheap" running the fuel these mid priced mass produced trucks were designed to run on. No damage should occur from running the fuel they were designed to run on or they would not tell us it was designed for it and still warranty it.
Man, that sounds a lot like "nothing wrong with running 3.21s to move a truck that was designed to be moved by 3.21s. No damage should occur up to max towing capacity or they would not give us the max towing capacity and still warranty it."

giphy (10).gif

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Man, that's sounds a lot like "nothing wrong with running 3.21s to move a truck that was designed to be moved by 3.21s. No damage should occur up to max towing capacity or they would not give us the max towing capacity and still warranty it."

View attachment 130973
OMG! Not even close! With 3.21 you don't have a choice. With 3.92, it doesn't really matter.

I guess you get a break for hauling your house from Walmart parking lot to Walmart parking lot though! 🤣😆😅 (sorry, I couldn't help it)

620dd60579d4c.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
On my old corvette I had 150 shot NOS plate. I guess when I took off from a stop sign without pressing the button I was handicapping my car.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OMG! Not even close! With 3.21 you don't have a choice. With 3.92, it doesn't really matter.

I guess you get a break for hauling your house from Walmart parking lot to Walmart parking lot though! 🤣😆😅 (sorry, I couldn't help it)

View attachment 130974
Bruh, we only put the camper in a Walmart parking lot once and didn't even sleep there. Ate a football sized burrito, picked up a couple things at Harbor Freight, then went and slept at the ******* Barrel. :LOL:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bruh, we only put the camper in a Walmart parking lot once and didn't even sleep there. Ate a football sized burrito, picked up a couple things at Harbor Freight, then went and slept at the ******* Barrel. :LOL:
Why is cr@cker censored? Lmao

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There seems to be some mistake confusing octane rating with quality for some strange reason. I am sure it is understood that this rating is just the burn rate.

You have chosen to override the factory programming and void the warranty by going outside the parameters and have your truck run on 91 or higher. That's a choice. Not a bad one, performance mods can be fun. I have a custom tune in my car. Just for kicks.

I'm not confusing octane for quality. I know the difference and because of that can comprehend why 89 should be the preferred fuel when the owners manual recommends using it for optimal performance and fuel mileage. And also know that the reason you can safely run 87 octane is because these engines have knock sensors and will retard the timing to compensate for the lower octane. Hence me staying that you are handicapping the truck with retarded timing.

Interested in hearing your take on this Pro Flex set up if you know anything about it.
One of the guys who was the beta tester for that set up on his Scat Pack is a local friend. It worked great for him. He has since rebuilt his engine and still running the flex fuel set up with a custom tune. Once out of warranty I may look into it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm not confusing octane for quality. I know the difference and because of that can comprehend why 89 should be the preferred fuel when the owners manual recommends using it for optimal performance and fuel mileage. And also know that the reason you can safely run 87 octane is because these engines have knock sensors and will retard the timing to compensate for the lower octane. Hence me staying that you are handicapping the truck with retarded timing.

One of the guys who was the beta tester for that set up on his Scat Pack is a local friend. It worked great for him. He has since rebuilt his engine and still running the flex fuel set up with a custom tune. Once out of warranty I may look into it.
Always wondered about the whole alcohol fuel thing. I mean, they run it racing right? It does not seem like you would run something with less power.

I guess the engines are not set up for either fuel efficiency or longevity though. Are they super high compression to get the power out of alcohol fuel?

It seems it would take more than a tweak in the tune to use high alcohol ratio fuel in a regular street motor but I am glad to see it works. Options are always good.

Users who are viewing this thread