5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox (only) Tonneau

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed MX4 with tailgate seal yesterday. Took I through car wash today and still got a little water in corners. I can take pics tomorrow if anyone interested, but agree not much any tonneau can do to stop water in those corners
Who did you order it from? Also how was it shipped?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed MX4 with tailgate seal yesterday. Took I through car wash today and still got a little water in corners. I can take pics tomorrow if anyone interested, but agree not much any tonneau can do to stop water in those corners

Pictures and name of tailgate seal would be great

cjgerson

Reaction score
Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid question, where are the bed drains that you hook up the hoses to. And yes, just received the cover

cjgerson

Reaction score
Stupid question, where are the bed drains that you hook up the hoses to. And yes, just received the cover
In the front corners but lower in the bed. They are covered by spray in liner, but I drilled 3/4 holes and hoses fit nice and snug. You can kinda see in the picture below.

cjgerson

Reaction score
Here is how I installed the tailgate seal. Thinking I may try and move the top seal even higher to see if that helps more. Like I said got a little water in rear corners after going through car wash. 3A001D2F-50F4-496B-A85D-A625734DEB8D.jpeg

cjmst23

Reaction score
OK, did a good test today... Ran through a touchless car wash. You know, the one with the nasty nozzles coming from every angle....

Only leaks came in exactly where I expected... Front and rear corners

I think the front is easily corrected by either removing the included weather strip bak provides or adding additional weather strip to fill the gap.
IMG_20181209_132846722_HDR.jpg

The rear might always be a problem, but some weather strip attached to the bed (not gate) to fill the gap could make a huge improvement.
IMG_20181209_132839043_HDR.jpg

The good news is that none of the water was anywhere except the corners and that was with high pressure nozzles from the side. Rain should be less invasive.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, did a good test today... Ran through a touchless car wash. You know, the one with the nasty nozzles coming from every angle....

Only leaks came in exactly where I expected... Front and rear corners

I think the front is easily corrected by either removing the included weather strip bak provides or adding additional weather strip to fill the gap.
View attachment 10444

The rear might always be a problem, but some weather strip attached to the bed (not gate) to fill the gap could make a huge improvement.
View attachment 10445

The good news is that none of the water was anywhere except the corners and that was with high pressure nozzles from the side. Rain should be less invasive.

I think you're onto something about the rails sitting up too high. That front shot really shows it especially when you look at how far the rubber seal is above the front of the bed.

I think Bak needs to lower the rail height which would make it look better and it would seal better front and rear.

What do you think? Could a machine shop take 1/8" or 1/4" off the top of the rails?

myram2019

Reaction score
The dealership ordered the OEM tonneau cover for me as the truck was missing it. I tried with soapy water and WD40 to slide the rails in and cant get them to slide in more then a foot before the rail comes to a halt. Anyone have any ideas or fix? Also if i have to hammer them in, im guessing they are not coming off easy at all.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I think you're onto something about the rails sitting up too high. That front shot really shows it especially when you look at how far the rubber seal is above the front of the bed.

I think Bak needs to lower the rail height which would make it look better and it would seal better front and rear.

What do you think? Could a machine shop take 1/8" or 1/4" off the top of the rails?
I'm thinking using a file to oval the holes in the OEM aluminum rail is the simplistic solution.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking using a file to oval the holes in the OEM aluminum rail is the simplistic solution.

Not sure I follow you there. I was after thinner rails so that the MX4 sits lower, i.e. flush with the top of the bed at the front and on top of the tailgate rather than sitting up 1/4" or so as it appears in your photos. Just looks odd to me and higher up equals more gap for water to penetrate.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Not sure I follow you there. I was after thinner rails so that the MX4 sits lower, i.e. flush with the top of the bed at the front and on top of the tailgate rather than sitting up 1/4" or so as it appears in your photos. Just looks odd to me and higher up equals more gap for water to penetrate.
I was suggesting removing the OEM rails to file out the top of the holes so they sit lower. Since the bak rails piggyback on the OEM, that would lower everything

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was suggesting removing the OEM rails to file out the top of the holes so they sit lower. Since the bak rails piggyback on the OEM, that would lower everything

Ah! Sorry I missed that. Let me know if you pursue it.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Talked to Bak this afternoon. For those of us who have spray on bed liner, he suggested that you stick the front stick on gasket to the rubber flap, rather then the truck spray on bed liner surface

stevetom84

Reaction score
I just ordered the Truxedo Sentry. It is a hard rollback cover. I was looking at this one along with Bak Revolver X4. Ultimately I chose the Truxedo Sentry because it is predicted to work better in the harsh winters of the northeast, also you can easily take out the entire cover without tools unlike the Revolver.

Did you get you Truxedo Sentry installed? If so, how do you like it? How's the water resistance?

Cannonball

Reaction score
4th gen Bakflip F1 fits. Not saying it's waterproof or as good as the new design but It does fit nicely. It will leak at the tail gate corners like the rest but the rubber overhangs all perimeters just enough. No issues worth any hardware at all! Full function to Rambox lids. Have to close bak cover after tailgate as perthe design of this model.

Very happy to now be able to burn money elsewhere in the truck :)

20181214_144527_HDR.jpg 20181214_124640.jpg 20181214_144545.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread