5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox (only) Tonneau

Andoman

Reaction score
Just an FYI guys, I just bought a RetraxPro MX and already have to have the dealer take it out and send it back. The rail / gasket system does not allow the ram boxes to open more than 2/3 of the way. Deal breaker for me. Retrax tried to say that’s normal, I told them to go fish or I’d have my lawyer do it. They’re sending a FEDex truck to grab it. I’ll post pics later. I did get a rep at retrax on another call that admitted they’re having problems fitting the new ramboxes.

Keemosabe

Reaction score
Ordered my Bak Revolver X2 from Tonneau Factort Outlet. The sales guy Morrie highly recommends and is pretty helpful. As others have said he likes to talk, lol. We had a great conversation about products, and everything else too. . Anyway I prefer the regular vinyl finish (not matte) that’s why I ordered the X2. 870.00 delivered. Maybe could find slightly better pricing, but, the outstanding customer service others have noted from TFO, is a huge “best value” consideration for me, if and when I might need it. So the Revolver is probably coming Wed or Thu of next week, and the dealer indicates about 3 weeks for delivery of the truck. Last RamChat indicated ready to ship and I have the window sticker. Once I get the Truck and the cover, I’ll try to post some photos and document the install.

Andoman

Reaction score
Just an FYI guys, I just bought a RetraxPro MX and already have to have the dealer take it out and send it back. The rail / gasket system does not allow the ram boxes to open more than 2/3 of the way. Deal breaker for me. Retrax tried to say that’s normal, I told them to go fish or I’d have my lawyer do it. They’re sending a FEDex truck to grab it. I’ll post pics later. I did get a rep at retrax on another call that admitted they’re having problems fitting the new ramboxes.
625F6DB9-2F4E-49F6-8AFF-8B25B44A94FF.jpeg

1CCA3109-3B72-4A92-AB8C-E10965A1BDC6.jpeg

RAMRhode

Reaction score
I am curious, though. Other than the rambox fitments, is the cover acceptable? Does it fit well to the tailgate? Retract smoothly, etc? I ask, because I’m thinking that maybe the gasket by the boxes could be trimmed back and another type of weather seal be recessed down under the hinge. Weather resistant is all that I would wanting to achieve. I really like the functionality of it, and would consider altering cover to fit better.

Andoman

Reaction score
I am curious, though. Other than the rambox fitments, is the cover acceptable? Does it fit well to the tailgate? Retract smoothly, etc? I ask, because I’m thinking that maybe the gasket by the boxes could be trimmed back and another type of weather seal be recessed down under the hinge. Weather resistant is all that I would wanting to achieve. I really like the functionality of it, and would consider altering cover to fit better.

There is an air gap on the tailgate also. The rambox doors actually do hit the metal part of the frame. I thought about trimming the gasket back but because it contacts the metal and I spent $1,850 on the top I didn’t want to do this. I had a Gator MX on my old body style rambox and it worked great, this one not so much. If they get them figured out I’d order another one in a heartbeat as I love the cover style and functionality.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
There is an air gap on the tailgate also. The rambox doors actually do hit the metal part of the frame. I thought about trimming the gasket back but because it contacts the metal and I spent $1,850 on the top I didn’t want to do this. I had a Gator MX on my old body style rambox and it worked great, this one not so much. If they get them figured out I’d order another one in a heartbeat as I love the cover style and functionality.
Thanks! I understand completely. Not acceptable to do a major post-fettling job for which should be sorted out in engineering design. I also would have thought that there should have been onus on the install dealer to not turn over the truck to you with such obvious design flaws. I guess these hacks think they can get away with anything.

vinnie45acp

Reaction score
Anyone fix and or modify the long Stantion arm the holds BAK MX4/ Mopar version up toward the window?

If so can you explain and send any pics if you have them, thanks

Ram’dit

Reaction score
Pretty frustrated with the quality control at Bak. I bought an Revolver X4 and the instructions say it will be a tight fit. So I accepted the fact that they weren’t sliding easily. I was using a rubber mallet and block of wood to literally beat it on. I stopped halfway. I was thinking this can’t be right. So I hammered it back off. I discovered that they put the pop rivits in the wrong place. Complete disaster in quality control.

I ended up drilling out all rivits and adding all new on centerline.

The end caps no longer fit. Huge gaps at front and back. I’m not talking about tailgate gap. I already expected that.

They ask a lot of money for this product. It should be right.

How do other Revolver X4 fit?

Attachments

• 4466E307-314B-4748-8117-C3F11F25F64E.jpeg
    4466E307-314B-4748-8117-C3F11F25F64E.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 61479E8F-1693-4614-AE87-CE36B03AAAF4.jpeg
    61479E8F-1693-4614-AE87-CE36B03AAAF4.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 119
  • BD4CFD6C-7352-46BD-9404-B7F6A2C420F4.jpeg
    BD4CFD6C-7352-46BD-9404-B7F6A2C420F4.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 86964182-2328-4BB2-8C3B-9DE745B7DB32.jpeg
    86964182-2328-4BB2-8C3B-9DE745B7DB32.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 118
  • C6680C3B-3914-46DB-9599-85BB670EF453.jpeg
    C6680C3B-3914-46DB-9599-85BB670EF453.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 116

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my truck just got off the assembly line this weekend and maybe shipped sooner than expected. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hard tourneau cover. I know there's a gap where the tailgate meets the size I just I'm looking for a confirmation from those if you have the Bak Mx4 that there are no issues with it restricting the opening of the Ramboxes, and outside of the rear tailgate gap it seals nicely and stays pretty water type.

I need either of the folding or rollaway hard tonneau cover that would be able to support 360 lbs. Looking to place my order tomorrow or Wednesday. Any final suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated. Would love to have it here waiting for the truck when it arrives!

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the mx4

1 - there is no interference with rambox
2 - been through several car washes, no leaks from the back top seal

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the mx4

1 - there is no interference with rambox
2 - been through several car washes, no leaks from the back top seal

Great! Do you know if installs right onto the factory bed rails with the BUG? Or do you need the replacement rails from BAK?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It comes with a set of rails that slide into the top of the BUG rails.

JXL118

Reaction score
Do you kind posting how you mounted the weather strip to minimize water intrusion?

Here's what i picked up at Lowe's. Expands enough to seal the gap. Still thinking thru if/how i want to seal the bottom of the tailgate.

20190310_175830.jpg

20190310_181624.jpg

Andoman

Reaction score
So my truck just got off the assembly line this weekend and maybe shipped sooner than expected. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hard tourneau cover. I know there's a gap where the tailgate meets the size I just I'm looking for a confirmation from those if you have the Bak Mx4 that there are no issues with it restricting the opening of the Ramboxes, and outside of the rear tailgate gap it seals nicely and stays pretty water type.

I need either of the folding or rollaway hard tonneau cover that would be able to support 360 lbs. Looking to place my order tomorrow or Wednesday. Any final suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated. Would love to have it here waiting for the truck when it arrives!

The rollaway system severely interferes with the rambox opening and closing. I’m currently waiting to see what more people are having experience with the BX4 and the Revolver. My last ram (old body style with ramboxes) had a gator MX that worked perfect but they have not finished their redesign yet. My problem is I keep 100k in survey gear in the back of my truck so I need a lockable hard solution.

Attachments

• 7E02F664-0983-4F9D-AE46-369E196B0204.jpeg
    7E02F664-0983-4F9D-AE46-369E196B0204.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread