5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox bed divider/extender, officially no longer an extender

jdl440

Reaction score
This is really cool. I didn't know this until I randomly saw this thread. Do the plastic caps just pop off?

johnkopp

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful part number information. However, I keep searching online for the Pivot Joint part and all the pictures make it look like its just a rubber grommet. Some sites say it replaces the Grommet-Pivot Joint 68054997AA. And I've searched Amazon and ebay with no luck.

Tom488

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful part number information. However, I keep searching online for the Pivot Joint part and all the pictures make it look like its just a rubber grommet. Some sites say it replaces the Grommet-Pivot Joint 68054997AA. And I've searched Amazon and ebay with no luck.
It is just a rubber - well, not really a grommet - more like a stud or post. I don't know whey they call it a pivot joint - it neither pivots nor joins anything. It's literally a rubber cylinder with a threaded rod embedded in it.

I did a google search for 68054997AB, and had a ton of hits. Just pick one of the online Mopar parts places, and order them.

Or here - try this:

Don't forget, you need qty. 2 of them. You also need qty. 2 of 68054996AA - also available at the above site.

theonlyMcG

Reaction score
The part numbers in this thread are the correct ones. I ordered them a couple weeks ago and they work great. Exactly as @SpeedyV said, the plastic surrounding it is very easy to scratch so be careful if you are worried about that sort of thing. The caps pull right off, I had one break the head off from the actual retention part but a needle nose took care of that no problem.

IMG_20191010_172903.jpg

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yup same here .. got them cheap at my dealer .. they said they couldn't get them, but they showed up like 3 days later.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
My truck (picked up end of Sept) has the Ram boxes and BUG but was missing the divider. Upon letting them know, the dealer ordered all the parts and installed everything this past Saturday; not once did anyone mention anything about not being able to source parts or the inability to use it as an extender. In fact, the divider was in “extender mode” when they drove it out of the bay back onto the lot to show me how everything worked.

Grouper

Reaction score
When the Ram 1500 was redesigned for 2019, the taillights were changed to a new LED design with integrated blind-spot sensors. The bed divider and extender, however, was carried over from the previous-generation truck and now runs afoul of those pesky lighting regulations by blocking too much of the new taillights from certain angles.

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere but according this article "Ram is working on a new bed divider and extender that complies with the regulations."

Ride2little

Reaction score
i just picked up a sweet 2019 Rebel w only 1400 miles. Everything feels brand new, including the plastic caps where the handle and gromet posts should be. Thanks to this thread, I ordered those tonight. THANKS!

Narg

Reaction score
As my dad said on another truck issue: "The government doesn't use my truck, I do. They have no idea what they are talking about most of the time."

Tonner

Reaction score
Alright. I may have missed something. So....does the 2020s come with the divider when you order the ram box and bed utility group and you just need to get the parts for it to be an extender or does it not come with the divider altogether now?

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
Alright. I may have missed something. So....does the 2020s come with the divider when you order the ram box and bed utility group and you just need to get the parts for it to be an extender or does it not come with the divider altogether now?
correct

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 2020 came with the divider, but no brackets to make it an extender.

Users who are viewing this thread