5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox bed divider/extender, officially no longer an extender

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, we finally have some clarity on the missing bed extender pegs. I wouldn't plan on any new buyers to be able to get them included when the truck shows up if you have the ramboxes with the bed utility group.

Looks like they're claiming a change to federal tail light standards.....

IMG_20190109_1539141.jpg

Rustydodge

Reaction score
WHAT? Well that's a stupid new regulation then. I love my bed extender/divider.

Maybe the 4th gen lugs or extender will work on the 5th gen.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They're the same parts, IIRC. You should be able to pick them up at any parts counter (presuming we haven't consumed their stockpile with our "missing pegs" requests).

HenryR

Reaction score
So they charged us $545 for the plastic divider? What a rip off, then give me the bed step

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll make sure to put some DOT reflective tape on the extender when in use, and possibly a quick detach trailer light I can bolt on to the end of the extender. But I'm definitely glad I was able to get this before the prohibition.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then how can they justify selling the Mopar bed extender (metal accessory version)? Does it really boil down to factory vs. accessory?
I'm still leaning toward the "Ram got sued when someone lost their load" theory.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
If it's not illegal to drive with your tailgate down then it shouldn't be illegal to have a bed extending gate that sets on the tailgate. What's the difference?

It does not go out bast the tailgate...stupid regulation.

HenryR

Reaction score
I think it's all horse hockey, it's a way to sell you something, and not provide it.

I'm going to pitch a ***** about it.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score

I believe anyone who has had the dealership install the extender pegs had the ones from the 4th gen installed. A specific part for the 5th gen doesn't exist.

BGRAM

Reaction score
From the photo it looks like it would be very easy to pick up the hardware for a DS model and install on the same spot on the DT. From what it looks like the mounting points are the same and I believe the interior design of the bed on the RamBox DT trucks is carry over from the DS. If I had a RamBox truck I would test this theory and report back, sadly I don't have RamBox on this one.

grinch72

Reaction score
My dealer told me this as well. I still got the pins and installed them. The new regulation is viewing from an angle. The extender ( which is considered part of the vehicle ) that's different from something in the bed... Will block the view of taillights when looked at on an angle. The regulation states they must both be visible. At least thats the story my dealer gave me!

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer told me this as well. I still got the pins and installed them. The new regulation is viewing from an angle. The extender ( which is considered part of the vehicle ) that's different from something in the bed... Will block the view of taillights when looked at on an angle. The regulation states they must both be visible.

So wouldn't this also make any aftermarket bed extender illegal?

Reaction score
Ah I'm behind the curve on this. I have a Rambox with the BUG but I never followed up on the bed extender part.

I got a bed divider yes, you're saying there is a couple more parts that will convert it into a bed extender?

And the mopar bed extender is a different part? Does that work with the 2019s with Rambox?

I'm guessing DS and DT are platform codes for 4th and 5th gen?

grinch72

Reaction score
So wouldn't this also make any aftermarket bed extender illegal?
Maybe that is why they are curved? The curve is enough of an angle to slide past the regulation? I'm not sure what the viewing angle is. Most of aftermarket ones have a large curve compared to the box divider.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah I'm behind the curve on this. I have a Rambox with the BUG but I never followed up on the bed extender part.

I got a bed divider yes, you're saying there is a couple more parts that will convert it into a bed extender?

And the mopar bed extender is a different part? Does that work with the 2019s with Rambox?

I'm guessing DS and DT are platform codes for 4th and 5th gen?

DS = 2018 body
DT = new 2019 body

Early manuals/marketing clearly showed the DS pin and handle in the bed so that the ends of your RamBox divider open up and latch onto them. You can take a look at any DS RamBox models to see them. Same parts for DS/DT as long as you have RamBox.

Mopar also sells an accessory metal extender for non-RamBox models. Disregard that.

Now that dealers have been told this you'll probably have to go through parts and buy yourself if you want it. Part numbers are posted on the site in another thread.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dealer told me this as well. I still got the pins and installed them. The new regulation is viewing from an angle. The extender ( which is considered part of the vehicle ) that's different from something in the bed... Will block the view of taillights when looked at on an angle. The regulation states they must both be visible. At least thats the story my dealer gave me!
I'm guessing there are certain angles in play. This would explain the shape of the accessory extender.

Users who are viewing this thread