5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Door Handle. Chrome insert gone.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
U don't think that rock auto has door handles for the 2020 m/y

Black 20 Ram
I do and I think they’re likely the same as 2020, but RA hasn’t updated their parts catalog.

I was looking at a couple things for my 2020, and I didn’t see them. When I switched to 2019, they had a ton more parts/options.

Can’t say 100% for every part, but doesn’t seem to be many changes from 19 to 20 DT.

McBroom

Reaction score
I do and I think they’re likely the same as 2020, but RA hasn’t updated their parts catalog.

I was looking at a couple things for my 2020, and I didn’t see them. When I switched to 2019, they had a ton more parts/options.

Can’t say 100% for every part, but doesn’t seem to be many changes from 19 to 20 DT.
Sorry man typo. I meant "I don't"

Black 20 Ram

Paultg

Reaction score

You could check with Chrysler. if the part numbers are same from Chrysler then the 2019 Rock Auto stuff should work.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
Update- I sent @RamCares a message on this topic Friday July 17th with no response as of yet. I have received my $55 handle from Ebay and will remove the insert and glue on later this evening. Ill update with a pic of in house repair later. Thanks to all with the good advice you proivded.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
Update- I sent @RamCares a message on this topic Friday July 17th with no response as of yet. I have received my $55 handle from Ebay and will remove the insert and glue on later this evening. Ill update with a pic of in house repair later. Thanks to all with the good advice you proivded.
Well....found a product that Gorilla glue doesn't adhere to! FML This is RIDICULOUS!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well....found a product that Gorilla glue doesn't adhere to! FML This is RIDICULOUS!
Probably why the original popped off. Try some sand paper and rough up the surface a little bit, then clean with denatured alcohol

Cslpjip

Reaction score
Apologies for the delay, @KINGOFVA. Just had a chance to respond to your PM!

Mark
RamCares
Hi mark. I just had the same thing w door handle happen yesterday. You said you could help with the issue. If you could PM me. I will send more info and see what we could do

thank you
Chris

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi mark. I just had the same thing w door handle happen yesterday. You said you could help with the issue. If you could PM me. I will send more info and see what we could do

thank you
Chris
Hi Chris, if you hover over our profile name, you are able to select "start a conversation." Please provide any details that you think will be vital for us to make note of, as well as your last visit to have the dealer service your vehicle concerns. We will get back to your message as soon as possible in order to assist you. Thank you!

Michelle
Ram Cares

Rodgebone

Reaction score
My front driver door trim has fallen off 3x going through carwashes and now the passenger front door trim is doing the same - I have to tape them on before entering the carwash. Been lucky so far finding this on the floor of the carwash after they shut down operations to help. Cheap glue does not stick long term. I expect better on a $52K truck with 50K

Rodgebone

Reaction score
Even worse if the handle itself is body color (my paint code is PRV - an extra $100 option) and you try to buy from the dealer (good luck aftermarket) you have to get the thing painted (and BOTH of my front door handles have this issue on my wrig). What a load of crap going through all this grief and time and $$$. I dont see RamCares trying to help me on here.
I have been a tech in the automotive industry for almost 40 years and can see why this happens: there is a spring on the front quarter section of the handle underneath the insert (no clue as to its purpose and no info on the web). This spring puts pressure on the plastic insert and causes the front plastic tip retainer of the insert to break off. after that happens, the spring forces the insert to peel away at the front of the handle (reglue all you want but by this time it's too late - I have reglued mine multiple times to no avail).
Love the cutting-edge technology and design of this truck but having to look at this EVERYTIME I open the doors is pretty disappointing. Guess I have to fork over $500+ out of pocket at 50K to correct this design flaw. thanks RAM - Grrrrrrrr!

6of36

Reaction score
Even worse if the handle itself is body color (my paint code is PRV - an extra $100 option) and you try to buy from the dealer (good luck aftermarket) you have to get the thing painted (and BOTH of my front door handles have this issue on my wrig). What a load of crap going through all this grief and time and $$$. I dont see RamCares trying to help me on here.
I have been a tech in the automotive industry for almost 40 years and can see why this happens: there is a spring on the front quarter section of the handle underneath the insert (no clue as to its purpose and no info on the web). This spring puts pressure on the plastic insert and causes the front plastic tip retainer of the insert to break off. after that happens, the spring forces the insert to peel away at the front of the handle (reglue all you want but by this time it's too late - I have reglued mine multiple times to no avail).
Love the cutting-edge technology and design of this truck but having to look at this EVERYTIME I open the doors is pretty disappointing. Guess I have to fork over $500+ out of pocket at 50K to correct this design flaw. thanks RAM - Grrrrrrrr!
$50K,lol. My new Limited is over 80. And guess what, they don't have the chrome trim anymore. They cheapened them up. Do what I plan on doing, because I want to add them. Go to a junkyard. They come off, without pulling the door trim, and will probably be 10 or 15 dollars each.

Dewey

Reaction score
$50K,lol. My new Limited is over 80. And guess what, they don't have the chrome trim anymore. They cheapened them up. Do what I plan on doing, because I want to add them. Go to a junkyard. They come off, without pulling the door trim, and will probably be 10 or 15 dollars each.
I was looking at 3 different 2023 Limited’s on a lot the other day and all of them had cheap looking painted door handles with zero chrome including the lock button. I was shocked to see that on an $80,000 truck. None of them were Night Edition or anything like that either. Rest of the truck had plenty of chrome.

Same exact handles I have on my current Bighorn minus the lock button.

60A51AA0-806A-45EB-9476-D68AFFA2E20E.png

My 2017 had plenty of chrome. Entire handle except the cap over the keyhole. Looked so much nicer. Sucks they had to cheap out on the 5th Gens.

E900B3CB-541D-4D4B-98A9-2A88949DE571.png

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
I was looking at 3 different 2023 Limited’s on a lot the other day and all of them had cheap looking painted door handles with zero chrome including the lock button. I was shocked to see that on an $80,000 truck. None of them were Night Edition or anything like that either. Rest of the truck had plenty of chrome.

Same exact handles I have on my current Bighorn minus the lock button.

View attachment 165252

My 2017 had plenty of chrome. Entire handle except the cap over the keyhole. Looked so much nicer. Sucks they had to cheap out on the 5th Gens.

View attachment 165250
I know. Night edition makes the truck look like a cheap work truck. I would rather have black handles on a blue truck. It adds some contrast. I will be searching junk yards for some used handles with chrome.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm glad there's no chrome insert on our Limited. Not only do I dislike chrome on modern vehicles, this thread started with people complaining that the inserts fall out. :ROFLMAO:

schulm04

Reaction score
Big surprise to no one, I have had the same issue and have been looking for the trim piece forever. Has anyone found a solution to this yet? PM'd @RamCares and waiting for a response. As someone who works in adhesives as a profession, it is obvious to me that this a is a manufacturing issue where the incorrect adhesive was used to attempt to bond plastic.

6of36

Reaction score
If anyone removes theirs, due to not liking chrome, mail them to me. I hate the handles that make it look like a cheap work truck.

daveomatic

Reaction score
I know. Night edition makes the truck look like a cheap work truck. I would rather have black handles on a blue truck. It adds some contrast. I will be searching junk yards for some used handles with chrome.

100% agree. I was looking at some chrome handle covers on americantrucks.com, but they’re a a bit bolder than I would prefer. Still think I would like them better than body match handles.

The only chrome I don’t like on the limiteds is the chrome window trim that goes all the way around. Thinking of swapping it out or covering with vinyl wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread