5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Door Handle. Chrome insert gone.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
They want $400 to replace at dealer. Truck isn't two years old yet and won't cover under warranty. Cant find just the insert to replace
1594932001447.png

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like a half *** glue job from FCA. The three year bumper to bumper should cover this, no surprise though that a Ram dealer is trying something dirty

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
Wait what happened there ?
It was just gone. Was driving home from work one day, stopped at a 711 and that's what i found. Been at two Ram dealers and both places said the same thing. They won't cover cosmetic issue. Really??

PorBoy

Reaction score
They won’t cover it but they are more then happy to slap you with a $400 bill huh ? It’s things like this that makes me long for my 4th gen. At least the pieces stayed where they were supposed to and I had no expectations of anything from these dealerships. OP you may need to start a used part search and see where that gets you.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
Sounds like they're trying to charge you for a complete door handle.
Thats exactly what they are trying to do. Door handle still functions properly. Its the cheap $5 insert that I need. IDK....maybe I just drive my 1.5 year old Ram around as is, and when people ask.... I just say AVOID the new Ram. Sad....I get all kinds of compliments on my truck. Guess not anymore.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
Thats exactly what they are trying to do. Door handle still functions properly. Its the cheap $5 insert that I need. IDK....maybe I just drive my 1.5 year old Ram around as is, and when people ask.... I just say AVOID the new Ram. Sad....I get all kinds of compliments on my truck. Guess not anymore.
I did find a used handle online. Guys is asking $55 for it. Half tempted to buy and ripe off the insert. Maybe attempt to reapply to my truck??? Again...just annoyed with Ram at the moment.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was just gone. Was driving home from work one day, stopped at a 711 and that's what i found. Been at two Ram dealers and both places said the same thing. They won't cover cosmetic issue. Really??
It actually looks like it was glued on pretty well. You can see where the adhesive was stuck to the insert, pretty much all the way around, especially on the ends. My guess is that someone else lost one and they pried yours off after the dealer quoted them $400 to replace the entire door handle.

If you found a used one for $55 I'd jump on it. As long as it's cosmetically fine. Avoiding the frustration of fighting with the dealership is worth at least that much.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
It actually looks like it was glued on pretty well. You can see where the adhesive was stuck to the insert, pretty much all the way around, especially on the ends. My guess is that someone else lost one and they pried yours off after the dealer quoted them $400 to replace the entire door handle.

If you found a used one for $55 I'd jump on it. As long as it's cosmetically fine. Avoiding the frustration of fighting with the dealership is worth at least that much.
Heard that!

Maconi

Reaction score
See if you can find one in a junk yard somewhere. Surely they'd let you have a trim piece for a better price than that.

KINGOFVA

Reaction score
solid guys! Thanks for the advice. I have reached out to most local junk yards and all have said they have nothing this new. Bought the $55 part. Will however reach out to @RamCares. Good stuff!

Paultg

Reaction score
solid guys! Thanks for the advice. I have reached out to most local junk yards and all have said they have nothing this new. Bought the $55 part. Will however reach out to @RamCares. Good stuff!
Also most junkyards won’t want to separate that stuff from a good panel. Might get lucky if they have a bad door but good handle. Makes the search that much more difficult. Please update us on what RamCares does for ya!

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
that sucks if its falls apart or may be you speeding to fast ??? 300 mph + ???

RamCares

Reaction score

Hi @KINGOFVA - I apologize for the trouble! If you would be willing to follow up with me via private message to provide some additional details of your situation, I would be more than happy to get a case escalated on your behalf for further support!

PS - Thank you for the shout out @McBroom!

Mark
RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I read in another article that the merger won't go into affect until 2021, so you're fine calling them FCA for now.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
They have a bunch of door handles at Rock Auto; though they don’t show the pictures or diagrams of most.

I’ve done it before, where I replaced a part, that would’ve been covered under bumper to bumper, because it was easier than bringing it to a dealer. Plus, I trust myself more than I do most mechanics there.

McBroom

Reaction score
They have a bunch of door handles at Rock Auto; though they don’t show the pictures or diagrams of most.

I’ve done it before, where I replaced a part, that would’ve been covered under bumper to bumper, because it was easier than bringing it to a dealer. Plus, I trust myself more than I do most mechanics there.

U don't think that rock auto has door handles for the 2020 m/y

Black 20 Ram

Users who are viewing this thread