5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TreyBobo

Reaction score
3 engine restarts later… CEL is back and same three codes.
After some digging around I ended up disconnecting the lower air dam below the bumper, cleared all three codes, shutters work and no CEL.
Did you simply just unplug it? Mine threw the U11E9 the other day but the shutters are moving. I reset the computer and it came back 2 days later. Don’t want to take to dealership who wants $200 just to look at it

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you simply just unplug it? Mine threw the U11E9 the other day but the shutters are moving. I reset the computer and it came back 2 days later. Don’t want to take to dealership who wants $200 just to look at it
You can unplug it, reset the codes, and see if you get any new codes. The active air dam does not throw a code when it's disconnected.

RKK22

Reaction score
You can unplug it, reset the codes, and see if you get any new codes. The active air dam does not throw a code when it's disconnected.
Dealing with the same problem and code. Dealer tried to charge me 900+ to replace the air shutter. I installed a bull bar that caused the fixed air dam to snag the active air dam whenever it was deployed and withdrawn. The tech said it was the shutter and not the active air dam. Definitely gonna unplug the air dam and see what I get. Can I clear the codes with a regular handheld diagnostic tool? Thanks in advance.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a U11E9 code now. Is this the AGS or the active air dam? I have both.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update: I dont see the AGS moving at all. went ride around and had my buddy follow me in my truck. we talked on the phone and he would tell me when he got above 35mph. I never actually saw the air dam deploy (it was kind of hard to see). I got back and disconnected the Air dam connector, tape and tied it up out of the way. Then had oreilly's clear the CEL. Now we wait to see if the CEL comes back.

Hani9091

Reaction score
Well I’m taking it in today at the local ram dealership. I told them everything that I tried to troubleshoot on my end, replaced the whole shudder twice, looked at the plug and checked for burnt spots in case of a short. But everything looked brand new. My truck only has 42500 miles on it, but my 3 yr warranty is up. They’re gonna check the computer and hopefully see the issue.
I am having an issue with the CEL for the AGS and Cooling Fan both no longer on the warranty. How did you fix your issue I have a 2019 ram 1500 with only 33500 miles

TheBoro

Reaction score
So, I have the Pro Certified Lifetime Wrap+ warranty. Would this cover the AGS? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with 43K

C.D.I.N.B.

Reaction score
Your active air dam was throwing a code? That's strange to me because I've removed the active air dam from both of our 5th gens, and neither of us has seen a code for this. We've been running for almost a year without them. Other members here have also removed the active air dams with no issues or trouble codes.
Same...I took my air dam off as well on my 2021...no issues, no lights...

Georgf

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to fix this problem without disconnecting air dam? Is it possible to fix the electronics inside it and make it work again, without new error codes?

5thGenFitz

Reaction score
First off, thank you everyone who's contributed to this post!
The Ram dealerships by me are code readers and parts throwers, they couldn't fix a bologna sandwich.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, V6 47,000 miles (Leased Vehicle, turning in 2 months)
Out of nowhere I noticed my electric fan kick on and stay on the entire time I drove home from my son's baseball game.
Electric fan sounded like somebody put a shop vac under my hood!
Got home and check engine light came on
Next morning, Cold Start and electric fan kicked on instantly
Went to AutoZone to get them to scan for codes (Got lucky that the guy hadn't picked up his dinner yet and he handed me the code reader and said do it myself)
Checked and got (3) Code U11E9 as shown in picture
Looked up code and saw U11E9 is for AGS (Didn't know it had AGS)
Checked and all louvers in AGS open (IF all/some were closed it would make sense why fan would stay on)
Cleared codes (FYI I was lucky that he gave to me to use myself, apparently AutoZone instructs employees not to clear codes)
Started back up, 1 minute later fan on entire time, new check engine light

Got back on the interwebs and saw this post and others like it, individuals & dealerships throwing parts at it and still no luck
Here's what solved it for me:
Found out what an active air dam(n) is and I have it, some say unplug, some say buy $20 delete harness etc
Go out to truck, unplug active air dam
Start Truck up
No electric fan instantly
Turn dash to digital temp gauge
Drive AutoZone 2 miles away got up to temp about time I pulled in parking lot
Borrow Code Scanner and read it myself (Was told they could not clear codes) cleared codes
Started Back up
Drove around 30 minutes in this heat (notice it's about 100F here in Michigan!) no electric fan unless needed (Watched the temp gauge go up and down each time it was necessary)
No codes, no high temps, AGS open. So far so good.

Again, I want to thank people who contributed to this post and others on here about code U11E9, AGS & Active air dam
Sorry for the long post, just trying to give people an idea of what I did to get rid of it.

Attachments

• Ram 1500 V6 Big Horn (2).jpg
    Ram 1500 V6 Big Horn (2).jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Code U11E9 (1).jpg
    Code U11E9 (1).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 38

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
First off, thank you everyone who's contributed to this post!
The Ram dealerships by me are code readers and parts throwers, they couldn't fix a bologna sandwich.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, V6 47,000 miles (Leased Vehicle, turning in 2 months)
Out of nowhere I noticed my electric fan kick on and stay on the entire time I drove home from my son's baseball game.
Electric fan sounded like somebody put a shop vac under my hood!
Got home and check engine light came on
Next morning, Cold Start and electric fan kicked on instantly
Went to AutoZone to get them to scan for codes (Got lucky that the guy hadn't picked up his dinner yet and he handed me the code reader and said do it myself)
Checked and got (3) Code U11E9 as shown in picture
Looked up code and saw U11E9 is for AGS (Didn't know it had AGS)
Checked and all louvers in AGS open (IF all/some were closed it would make sense why fan would stay on)
Cleared codes (FYI I was lucky that he gave to me to use myself, apparently AutoZone instructs employees not to clear codes)
Started back up, 1 minute later fan on entire time, new check engine light

Got back on the interwebs and saw this post and others like it, individuals & dealerships throwing parts at it and still no luck
Here's what solved it for me:
Found out what an active air dam(n) is and I have it, some say unplug, some say buy $20 delete harness etc
Go out to truck, unplug active air dam
Start Truck up
No electric fan instantly
Turn dash to digital temp gauge
Drive AutoZone 2 miles away got up to temp about time I pulled in parking lot
Borrow Code Scanner and read it myself (Was told they could not clear codes) cleared codes
Started Back up
Drove around 30 minutes in this heat (notice it's about 100F here in Michigan!) no electric fan unless needed (Watched the temp gauge go up and down each time it was necessary)
No codes, no high temps, AGS open. So far so good.

Again, I want to thank people who contributed to this post and others on here about code U11E9, AGS & Active air dam
Sorry for the long post, just trying to give people an idea of what I did to get rid of it.
Great news and welcome!

2019 Ram 3500

Reaction score
I’m out of town on vacation and just got the P1D73 code. Is it okay to drive back home to get it fixed?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It depends. if the AGS are stuck closed your engine could overheat. I’d drive it around for a bit and look at the front to make sure.

cdautrey

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I have my engine light come on the way home from Jacksonville, took it to the parts store to read the code and it came up for the AGS system. I have not had a chance to take it into my local dealer yet, but have kept driving it. My question is do I run any serious risk driven it a long ways? I make trips to jacksonville pretty regularly which is around 350-400 miles one way.

Irish11

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with 40,000 miles on it and got AGS issue. I took it to the dealer and it is going to cost me $2000 to replace the AGS. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but a truck with only 40,000 miles and 3 years old already having to replace a major part. I'm disappointed in Ram workmanship. I love my Ram but disappointed.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to fix this problem without disconnecting air dam? Is it possible to fix the electronics inside it and make it work again, without new error codes?
Maybe. Depends on how bad it is. If the motor got water in it, they don't usually fare well. If a circuit board got wet and you caught it soon enough, it may be possible to dry it out, clean off corrosion, re-seal it and get it to work again. Not that different from cell phone repair. And the legendary bucket of rice doesn't usually help, it needs prompt and aggressive disassembly, cleaning, drying.

Gov 66

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 2016 ram and my check engine light has been on for awhile throwing a code for an active grill shutter. Dealership said it’s not that big of an issue so I didn’t worry about it, then I went to trade my truck in and they were gonna knock $1200 off trade in for it. So I decided to just replace the shutters myself. Replaced it and still the same thing. But I noticed when the truck was off I could still hear the motor running. Then I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, light went away. Killed the truck and started twice and still nothing. Next morning went out and the light was back. Really frustrated because the dealer is gonna charge another diagnostic charge and I’m trying to figure this out, if they’re is any solution or maybe a recall?
Good morning
Have a 18 ram 1500, 3.6 ltr, brought to my dealership and a new shutter is over 1000, my parts guy there told me the shutter shouldnt move if its not operating correctly, but mine moves open and closed, dont make any sense, does it mean the shutter locks in place or is supposed too, wondering if i should tear down actuator and clean and see if theres anything noticable. just want to at least get engine light cleared, because if something else goes wrong with the truck ill have no way of knowing due to the service light being on alreddy, i dont get why they put junk on a truck as ive never had a truck with a poor deign like this, then again i guess dodge or all makes are putting thing in that eventually dail so they can make more money, anyhelp is appreciated, and how do i clear the code to begin with, as i havent seen how to do it. thanx, soory if i posted in the wrong spot.

RAMonkey

Reaction score
I just got a CEL and found a P1D73 code after driving back home in light rain. It’s a ‘22 Laramie with only 3800 mi. I’ll report back with any findings. Where to begin…

Attachments

• 37CEC050-F4D3-45FD-8549-0A05765F42C4.jpeg
    37CEC050-F4D3-45FD-8549-0A05765F42C4.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread