5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAMonkey

Reaction score
I just got a CEL and found a P1D73 code after driving back home in light rain. It’s a ‘22 Laramie with only 3800 mi. I’ll report back with any findings. Where to begin…
Unplugged and replugged AAD, wiggled everything, disconnected battery for 20 min, then let it sit overnight. No CEL upon startup, drove past 35 mph to activate shutters and air dam (assuming they did), and still no CEL. Hope it stays that way…

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good morning
Have a 18 ram 1500, 3.6 ltr, brought to my dealership and a new shutter is over 1000, my parts guy there told me the shutter shouldnt move if its not operating correctly, but mine moves open and closed, dont make any sense, does it mean the shutter locks in place or is supposed too, wondering if i should tear down actuator and clean and see if theres anything noticable. just want to at least get engine light cleared, because if something else goes wrong with the truck ill have no way of knowing due to the service light being on alreddy, i dont get why they put junk on a truck as ive never had a truck with a poor deign like this, then again i guess dodge or all makes are putting thing in that eventually dail so they can make more money, anyhelp is appreciated, and how do i clear the code to begin with, as i havent seen how to do it. thanx, soory if i posted in the wrong spot.
Hey there!

If you decide to take this into your dealer for diagnosis and repair, please send us a DM. We'd love to get you an extra layer of assistance with this.

Callie
Ram Cares

19ramsportfan

Reaction score
Since this is a 5th gen forum, I seriously doubt anyone here has messed with the active grille shutters on their trucks. Most people here still have the factory warranty. Lots of us have upgraded from 4th gens, so it's possible someone here might have a suggestion. But you might have more luck posting in 4th gen forums.
Oddly enough my ‘19 ram sport is doing the same thing. Ram the code - it’s saying there is a communication error with the AGS. the check engine light is coming and going on it’s own. Taking to dealer, may have to replace AGS motor and shutters, or maybe it’s just a loose connection.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oddly enough my ‘19 ram sport is doing the same thing. Ram the code - it’s saying there is a communication error with the AGS. the check engine light is coming and going on its own. Taking to dealer, may have to replace AGS motor and shutters, or maybe it’s just a loose connection.

Good chance it’s the AAD. There’s a reason FCA extended the warranty on them

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oddly enough my ‘19 ram sport is doing the same thing. Ram the code - it’s saying there is a communication error with the AGS. the check engine light is coming and going on it’s own. Taking to dealer, may have to replace AGS motor and shutters, or maybe it’s just a loose connection.
Hey there!

If you're looking for any additional assistance while your vehicle is at the dealership, please reach out to us! We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Cajuntec

Reaction score
Having the issue with the AGS on my 2019 Laramie. Thanks to this post, I'm trying the "unplug the AAD" route. I just disconnected the battery and will let it sit to reset the codes, and then I'll reconnect and take it for a drive.

Out of curiosity - if it is the AAD, what does deleting it (either just unplugging it, or full removal) do to the truck? Will it be less stable at highway speeds? Lower gas mileage? Lower resale value? Or is it just another one of those parts Ram puts on their trucks to cost us money somewhere down the line?

I've loved my Ram trucks - this is my fourth one. But every single one of them has had electrical issues. I'm seriously considering switching brands when it comes time to get a new truck, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that. I'm just tired of the ongoing electrical issues (and leaking 3rd brake lights that I have to fix on every one of them). Why can't Mopar just get these things right? It's been years. They should have addressed these issues by now.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Having the issue with the AGS on my 2019 Laramie. Thanks to this post, I'm trying the "unplug the AAD" route. I just disconnected the battery and will let it sit to reset the codes, and then I'll reconnect and take it for a drive.

Out of curiosity - if it is the AAD, what does deleting it (either just unplugging it, or full removal) do to the truck? Will it be less stable at highway speeds? Lower gas mileage? Lower resale value? Or is it just another one of those parts Ram puts on their trucks to cost us money somewhere down the line?

I've loved my Ram trucks - this is my fourth one. But every single one of them has had electrical issues. I'm seriously considering switching brands when it comes time to get a new truck, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that. I'm just tired of the ongoing electrical issues (and leaking 3rd brake lights that I have to fix on every one of them). Why can't Mopar just get these things right? It's been years. They should have addressed these issues by now.
Removing the AAD won’t have any ill affects at all. IMO it’s more of a gimmick. Some people lose .5 mpg without it, some gain .5 mpg.

Some trucks didn’t even come with it so it’s not big deal.

There is an extended warranty on the AAD if yours is broken and you really want to fix it

Cajuntec

Reaction score
Thanks! How long is the extended warranty on the AAD? I’m pushing 89K right now. My extended warranty on the drivetrain expires at 100k, but the AAD probably isn’t part of that.
All the best,
Glenn

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks! How long is the extended warranty on the AAD? I’m pushing 89K right now. My extended warranty on the drivetrain expires at 100k, but the AAD probably isn’t part of that.
All the best,
Glenn
Nope not part of any of the factory warranties. 8 years and unlimited miles.

Attachments

• ram letter.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 23

GeoRam1500

Reaction score
Removing the AAD won’t have any ill affects at all. IMO it’s more of a gimmick. Some people lose .5 mpg without it, some gain .5 mpg.

Some trucks didn’t even come with it so it’s not big deal.

There is an extended warranty on the AAD if yours is broken and you really want to fix it
Same here, have a 2020 1500 ECO and was informed by my dealer that had an error code but I never got a check engine light, AGS motor shot and wire harness to burned, just bought it on 14 AUG 2023, in for the HPFP, now being told AGS not covered, cost $1400.00 this is ridicules, this was supposed to be a certified used RAM, why did they not catch this????

Users who are viewing this thread