5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about adding LaneSense

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So yes, i mounted it in the center best i could. I will adjust the angle now that i know what that needs to be. I played around with Alpha on windows and was able to connect and clear the DTCs for the DASM but one still remains - C2206. There isn't an option for the 2019 RAM calibration but there is for 14-17 jeep Cherokee. Unfortunately i think because they are completely different units the calibration won't work. I emailed Alexey and asked if he could add the feature for the 5th Gen Rams. He said he would include it in the next update and will send me the beta version once he adds it. I'm confident this is the final step that needs to be completed.

Eventually i plan on getting the correct windshield, but i'm waiting for a rock to hit mine and crack it so i can just claim insurance and get it for cheap. A new windshield and calibration procedure cost about $800-900 ($300 of that is calibration).
Lol, I can’t get lucky enough for mine to crack. I’ve been waiting for it to happen for two years since I added rain sensing wipers to my 2017.
Hopefully he can get a test version to you soon. He’s done a few for me, and usually took a day or two. Then I’d let him know if they worked before he added them in an update.

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Lanes sense is a waist of money and a waist of your time to put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The purpose of this thread is “how to add it”, not “what does everyone think of it”. I’d rather just oblige and help try to figure it out, instead of clogging up the thread. Do you have any thoughts on how to get it enabled?

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is “how to add it”, not “what does everyone think of it”. I’d rather just oblige and help try to figure it out, instead of clogging up the thread. Do you have any thoughts on how to get it enabled?

Not a clue, just putting in my 2cents of experience with lane sense.
Good luck

gener8s

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Any progress to report? I am definitely interested in what everybody has figured out.
I pick up my new Rebel this week, and these are the one package I couldn’t get (end of the 2020 model year, and the 2021’s are supposed to be $3000 more with no incentives).......
Thx!

tdb0021

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Any progress to report? I am definitely interested in what everybody has figured out.
I pick up my new Rebel this week, and these are the one package I couldn’t get (end of the 2020 model year, and the 2021’s are supposed to be $3000 more with no incentives).......
Thx!

I'm currently at a standstill. Right now I have a an ABS fault and a ACC fault that won't clear. I'm almost certain that running the calibration/aim procedure for the ACC module will clear these codes after doing a bunch of research on them. Alexey (alphaobd developer) is working on adding that function to alpha. I check in with him every few weeks to see if he's made any progress.

I could take the truck to a dealer and attempt to get them to run the calibration, but i highly doubt they would do it. I think that could be a liability for them. I also think that if i took the truck to a dealer they would restore the vehicle config in the process, clearing all my alpha settings and really messing up the progress i've made.

It's still a work in progress and i am determined to get it working (mainly just out of principle now). I'll update this thread as i make progress.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

^^^^ THIS!!!

I came out of a '16 Honda Pilot Touring - where "Lane Sense" was almost as good as Tesla's "auto pilot". That car could steer you through curves and stay centered in the lane. So I had "high expectations" for a newer version of this tech.

It is VIRTUALLY USELESS and more of an annoyance on this RAM. Probably the one feature that is the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT (for me at least) of all the "bells & whistles" on the truck. It "tugs at the wheel a little" - more of a distraction than an aid, and does (literally) ZERO to actually "assist" in staying in the lane.

When you consider all the cameras and sensors - and a truck that can parallel park itself - the inability of this system to do something as simple as keep the truck centered in a lane (or at least IN THE LANE), is almost INSULTING.

Now - even if I KNEW it was so poorly implemented - it would't have prevented me from purchasing. And since it's part of a package - the choice of not ordering with it really isn't an option.

But to SPEND ADDITIONAL MONEY TO ADD IT ON AFTER THE FACT - solely to add this nearly useless feature - you might as well just BURN IT.

Rick

tdb0021

Reaction score
^^^^ THIS!!!

I came out of a '16 Honda Pilot Touring - where "Lane Sense" was almost as good as Tesla's "auto pilot". That car could steer you through curves and stay centered in the lane. So I had "high expectations" for a newer version of this tech.

It is VIRTUALLY USELESS and more of an annoyance on this RAM. Probably the one feature that is the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT (for me at least) of all the "bells & whistles" on the truck. It "tugs at the wheel a little" - more of a distraction than an aid, and does (literally) ZERO to actually "assist" in staying in the lane.

When you consider all the cameras and sensors - and a truck that can parallel park itself - the inability of this system to do something as simple as keep the truck centered in a lane (or at least IN THE LANE), is almost INSULTING.

Now - even if I KNEW it was so poorly implemented - it would't have prevented me from purchasing. And since it's part of a package - the choice of not ordering with it really isn't an option.

But to SPEND ADDITIONAL MONEY TO ADD IT ON AFTER THE FACT - solely to add this nearly useless feature - you might as well just BURN IT.

Rick

as I stated before I’m less interested in the lane assist than I am the adaptive cruise control. They pretty much go hand in hand. My plans are to improve the stock lane sense and ACC to add full self driving to the truck through comma 2 and openpilot. I’m working with some of those developers to bring support to RAM. So I’m not really concerned on how well stock lane sense operates. I just need control of the steering over the canbus so I can intercept the signal and send my own.

GhostFaceNinja

Reaction score
as I stated before I’m less interested in the lane assist than I am the adaptive cruise control. They pretty much go hand in hand. My plans are to improve the stock lane sense and ACC to add full self driving to the truck through comma 2 and openpilot. I’m working with some of those developers to bring support to RAM. So I’m not really concerned on how well stock lane sense operates. I just need control of the steering over the canbus so I can intercept the signal and send my own.
Great post. I'm have learned so much from this. Please keep up the good work. Leaning these details about our trucks can is a must. Wondering if you could do this but with the Blind spot warning. My truck doesn't have it and I would really like to add this. I see the infotainment over the side view mirror and tail light kit. Is. That really all we need?.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Great post. I'm have learned so much from this. Please keep up the good work. Leaning these details about our trucks can is a must. Wondering if you could do this but with the Blind spot warning. My truck doesn't have it and I would really like to add this. I see the infotainment over the side view mirror and tail light kit. Is. That really all we need?.
Blind spot monitoring is possible! I added it myself. I have a pdf write up on the thread on this site. I’ll see if I can find it.

tdb0021

Reaction score
So i've managed to get the DTC in the cruise control module down to "C2206 - vehicle configuration mismatch"

I assume this means i haven't selected the correct settings in the BCM. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting the correct configuration. I am trying to gather more vehicle configurations so i can compare them to mine. If anyone reading has ACC, Lane assist, etc and could send their vehicle configuration that'd be huge. If anyone has any insight it is much appreciated.

Current status in the DASM is as follows:

ECU Qualification:
RLS: Not set
AHBM: Not set
HUM: Set
COM: Set
UAM: Set
Theft Deterrent Present: No
Power Locks Present: Yes
Ambient Lighting Present: No
Approach Lamps Present: No
Side Repeaters Present: No
UGDO Theft Disable Present: No
RKE Present: No
Front Fog Lights Present: No
Tip Start Present: No
Remote Start Present: No
Reprogramming Attempt Counter:
Number of Reprogramming Attempts - Block 1: 0
Max. Number of Reprogramming Attempts: Block 1: 1000
Number of Reprogramming Attempts - Block 2: 0
Max. Number of Reprogramming Attempts: Block 2: 1000
In-Plant Status: Not active
Sensor Has Been Aligned: Yes
Response on Event - light activation state: Activated
Ignition Voltage: 12.40
Blindness Counter: 119
Bussed Inputs:
System Voltage: 12.40 V
Averaged Ambient Temperature: -40.00 Deg.C
Vehicle speed: 0.00 km/h
Ignition Switch Status: RUN Position
PRND Status from Trans: Park
Cruise Control Cancel Switch: Not set
ACC Distance Decrease Switch: Not set
SCM Cruise Control Set/Accel Sw: Not set
SCM Cruise Control Coast/Set/Decel Sw: Not set
Cruise Control Resume Switch: Not set
SCM Cruise Control Implausible: Not set
SCM Cruise Control On/Off Sw: Not set
SCM ACC On/Off Sw: Not set
SCM ACC Distance Increase Sw: Not set
ACC Can Be Enabled per ESP: Set
Trans in Limp Home Mode: Not set
Motor ACC is OK: Yes
Brake ACC is OK: No
Electronic Park Brake: Open

Upandaway420

Reaction score
So i've managed to get the DTC in the cruise control module down to "C2206 - vehicle configuration mismatch"

I assume this means i haven't selected the correct settings in the BCM. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting the correct configuration. I am trying to gather more vehicle configurations so i can compare them to mine. If anyone reading has ACC, Lane assist, etc and could send their vehicle configuration that'd be huge. If anyone has any insight it is much appreciated.

Current status in the DASM is as follows:

ECU Qualification:
RLS: Not set
AHBM: Not set
HUM: Set
COM: Set
UAM: Set
Theft Deterrent Present: No
Power Locks Present: Yes
Ambient Lighting Present: No
Approach Lamps Present: No
Side Repeaters Present: No
UGDO Theft Disable Present: No
RKE Present: No
Front Fog Lights Present: No
Tip Start Present: No
Remote Start Present: No
Reprogramming Attempt Counter:
Number of Reprogramming Attempts - Block 1: 0
Max. Number of Reprogramming Attempts: Block 1: 1000
Number of Reprogramming Attempts - Block 2: 0
Max. Number of Reprogramming Attempts: Block 2: 1000
In-Plant Status: Not active
Sensor Has Been Aligned: Yes
Response on Event - light activation state: Activated
Ignition Voltage: 12.40
Blindness Counter: 119
Bussed Inputs:
System Voltage: 12.40 V
Averaged Ambient Temperature: -40.00 Deg.C
Vehicle speed: 0.00 km/h
Ignition Switch Status: RUN Position
PRND Status from Trans: Park
Cruise Control Cancel Switch: Not set
ACC Distance Decrease Switch: Not set
SCM Cruise Control Set/Accel Sw: Not set
SCM Cruise Control Coast/Set/Decel Sw: Not set
Cruise Control Resume Switch: Not set
SCM Cruise Control Implausible: Not set
SCM Cruise Control On/Off Sw: Not set
SCM ACC On/Off Sw: Not set
SCM ACC Distance Increase Sw: Not set
ACC Can Be Enabled per ESP: Set
Trans in Limp Home Mode: Not set
Motor ACC is OK: Yes
Brake ACC is OK: No
Electronic Park Brake: Open
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with Lane Sense and ACC i am also very interested in comma.ai I assume that is what this is about. I would like to help in the development of this to make it compatable for my truck if i can

tdb0021

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with Lane Sense and ACC i am also very interested in comma.ai I assume that is what this is about. I would like to help in the development of this to make it compatable for my truck if i can
Join the comma discord. That’ll give us the best chance to get working. I’m till trying to get the stock ACC and LaneSense working, but you could be helpful in the development of the comma for RAM

Adrian052

Reaction score
Have you looked into this further? I would also like the comma.ai

tdb0021

Reaction score
After approximately 6-8 months, I have successfully installed and activated Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Sense, Forward Collision Warning, and Auto High Beams to my 2019 Lonestar. I got my truck back from the dealer this afternoon. They did a calibration procedure on my cruise control module which FINALLY allowed everything to activate. Persistence on this project was certainly the key to success.

I will briefly recap what's required to do this and approximate cost for those that will ask:

You have to replace the following:
Windshield - $400 (An OEM mopar one will cost more than double this)
DASM - $1,100 (this part has to be new, never installed on a vehicle)
Center Stack 12" or 8.4" (one with a lane sense button. As far as i know you cannot simply add the button. There also does not appear to be a softkey you could enable with alphaobd)
HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130
Steering Wheel Switch - $50
Dealer visit to calibrate after everything is installed - $100-$500 (depends on how your dealer handles this. For me it was a half hour labor charge)
Alpha OBD and Hardware - $100 (PC version recommended)

I am considering making a write-up for the procedure with all part numbers. There is inevitably stuff I do not remember when it comes to everything I enabled with alpha obd, but if several people are interested in one i will write one.

Big thanks to Jimmy07 , his help certainly made this idea a reality

usedup

Reaction score
^^^^ THIS!!!

usedup

Reaction score
I have it but it isn't worth much. If you had a law officer behind you and you engaged it he would have you pulled over in a half a mile and blowing in his breathalyzer. It wanders back and forth like the proverbial drunken sailor. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread