5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about adding LaneSense

tdb0021

Reaction score
Possibly. If you replace only the abs module, there is no need to do anything with the brakes. It’ll be a direct swap out. You’ll have to run the abs initialization when you do that, also. When you connect to the abs module, don’t get nervous if the cluster starts to ding and flash, that’s normal.

should I be concerned about a “ECU verification failed” message in alpha when I connect to the ABS module?

tdb0021

Reaction score
In case anyone is actually following this thread, it looks like the HCU does have to be replaced alongside the new ABS module (at least for ACC). After about 2 hours of playing with alpha
that is what jimmy07 and I determined.

I am ordering this part and will attempt the install. Luckily the HCU is in a relatively easy spot and I don’t think it will be too bad.

In news related to lanesense:
I have a 12” screen upgrade on the way that does have the lanesense button. Right now I get no errors from lanesense in the dash. When I disconnect the DASM however, I do get a lane sense warning. I’m thinking that is a good indicator that it may be functional and it’s only a matter of being able to turn it on. I’ll update accordingly

tdb0021

Reaction score
So the lanesense still isn't working after the new screen was installed with the on/off button. What i need is someone with a limited to send me their car configuration profile from alpha obd so i can see what all exactly needs to be turned on/off.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have a configuration of one on me right now, but off the top of my head should be:
Lane Departure Warning present: Yes
Lane departure torque CSM: Yes
Lane departure warning CSM: Yes

tdb0021

Reaction score
Yes, these are what i enabled. I'm wondering if there are other parameters that need to be turned on or off as well

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, these are what i enabled. I'm wondering if there are other parameters that need to be turned on or off as well
Also, do you have P/T Chassis Net ACC/DASM Adaptive Cruise Control/Driver Assistance Module enabled?

tdb0021

Reaction score
Also, do you have P/T Chassis Net ACC/DASM Adaptive Cruise Control/Driver Assistance Module enabled?

Thank you for uploading that to me. I did enable those two options earlier with no changes (other than warning messages).

At first glance one thing i notice is [Cruise Feature is Present: No] and [Cruise Control is present: No] are both opposite to what i have. Going to have to do some more digging to see what else needs to be changed

tdb0021

Reaction score
I'm starting to suspect that lanesense requires a different steering column control module. In theory i have everything i need plugged in and enabled for it to work but it is still not working. I do occasionally get an error (U0212 I think) "lost communication with SCCM"

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to suspect that lanesense requires a different steering column control module. In theory i have everything i need plugged in and enabled for it to work but it is still not working. I do occasionally get an error (U0212 I think) "lost communication with SCCM"
How about VehicleConfig 7 dynamic steering torque present- did you enable it?

tdb0021

Reaction score
So i'm now fairly convinced that i've got everything right on the AlphaOBD side of things. I'm not sure what else i would need to enable/disable to get it working. i also double checked my wiring today and it's correct. I think the missing piece for LDW and ACC is the ABS module. I was reading and it turns out that the DASM uses information from the ABS Module to determine speed and Yaw rates for the LDW to predict its path. Since my ABS module is not the correct one for the DASM, it would make sense that is why lanesense isn't working. Still waiting for the HCU to come in
Requested access.

Try now

tdb0021

Reaction score
So I got the HCU in and I hooked it all up to the truck just without actually plumbing all the brake lines to see what would happen. The truck doesn’t throw an abs light but it does throw stability control and parking brake lights.

ACC and FCW lights are also on still too. I’m wondering if those are as a result of the above. One of the fault codes reads “ACC valves not calibrated”. Not sure if that’s something I’ll be able to do with alpha

tdb0021

Reaction score
Okay so I finally got the new HCU and ABS Module in today. After a good bit of messing around on alpha i was able to get almost all the codes permanently cleared. There are only 3 that remain:

Steering Module: U148A
- I cannot find anything online about this code. It comes back immediately after clearing. It's on when the truck is off or engine running.

ABS:
C10D0 - Electronic Parking Brake. It's claiming its not activated. I believe this is a matter of re-initializing it but i can't figure out how to do it. The light on the dash is on as a result. It still functions as it should.

C2212 - ECU in Plant Mode
- After some research it seems it could be one of the following:
- Faulty Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Module
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Module harness is open or shorted
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Module circuit poor electrical connection
- I guess this could be a wiring problem??

This is what i have wired to the DASM:
Pin: Circuit: Gauge: Color: Description:
1F9480.75PK/GNFUSED IGNITION
4Z9130.75BKGROUND
6D4610.75YE/GYCAN C (+)
7D4600.75YECAN C (-)

I'll re-check my connections to this tomorrow but i'm confident they are working. If i disconnect the DASM I get error messages immediately when i start the truck vs. several seconds after i start the truck when the module is connected.

On a somewhat related note:
Auto-High beams is supposed to work through the DASM. I've gotten to the point where it says it's all working - but they never actually turn on. I've tried driving down very dark roads and adjusting the DASM angle. This makes me think there is a connection issue with the DASM or the DASM is vin-locked and won't work unless it's a new unit. I don't really think that would be the case.

Any ideas? @Jimmy07

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I applaud the efforts some of you are doing and spending money to enable a feature that at best will make you look like a drunk driver if you let it do it’s thing.
I play with it out of boredom once in a while, but that’s about it. I suppose it would be nice on I-70 or I-80 because both will put you to sleep in the Midwest. I-80 across Nebraska traveling from Colorado to Iowa I’ve done hundreds of times. It needs a shock feature though, as in wake the **** up for roads like that.

tdb0021

Reaction score
I applaud the efforts some of you are doing and spending money to enable a feature that at best will make you look like a drunk driver if you let it do it’s thing.
I play with it out of boredom once in a while, but that’s about it. I suppose it would be nice on I-70 or I-80 because both will put you to sleep in the Midwest. I-80 across Nebraska traveling from Colorado to Iowa I’ve done hundreds of times. It needs a shock feature though, as in wake the **** up for roads like that.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading at this point but I’m trying to mainly get ACC working. If I can get lane sense to work also then that’s an added bonus. They pretty much go hand in hand

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I finally got the new HCU and ABS Module in today. After a good bit of messing around on alpha i was able to get almost all the codes permanently cleared. There are only 3 that remain:

Steering Module: U148A
- I cannot find anything online about this code. It comes back immediately after clearing. It's on when the truck is off or engine running.

ABS:
C10D0 - Electronic Parking Brake. It's claiming its not activated. I believe this is a matter of re-initializing it but i can't figure out how to do it. The light on the dash is on as a result. It still functions as it should.

C2212 - ECU in Plant Mode
- After some research it seems it could be one of the following:
- Faulty Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Module
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Module harness is open or shorted
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Module circuit poor electrical connection
- I guess this could be a wiring problem??

This is what i have wired to the DASM:
Pin: Circuit: Gauge: Color: Description:
1F9480.75PK/GNFUSED IGNITION
4Z9130.75BKGROUND
6D4610.75YE/GYCAN C (+)
7D4600.75YECAN C (-)

I'll re-check my connections to this tomorrow but i'm confident they are working. If i disconnect the DASM I get error messages immediately when i start the truck vs. several seconds after i start the truck when the module is connected.

On a somewhat related note:
Auto-High beams is supposed to work through the DASM. I've gotten to the point where it says it's all working - but they never actually turn on. I've tried driving down very dark roads and adjusting the DASM angle. This makes me think there is a connection issue with the DASM or the DASM is vin-locked and won't work unless it's a new unit. I don't really think that would be the case.

Any ideas? @Jimmy07
Since you say you are adjusting the angle of the DASM, I’d say the first thing to do is calibrate the DASM. It is supposed to be at -1 degree from vertical +/- 0.1 degree. Then it needs to be calibrated. Is it mounted to the correct windshield? If not, is it at least mounted in the center of the windshield? I’m not around my AlfaOBD software right now, but hopefully there is a way to connect to the DASM. If it’s not in the list of modules for a RAM, we’ll have to see if it’s in the list for some other FCA vehicle.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Since you say you are adjusting the angle of the DASM, I’d say the first thing to do is calibrate the DASM. It is supposed to be at -1 degree from vertical +/- 0.1 degree. Then it needs to be calibrated. Is it mounted to the correct windshield? If not, is it at least mounted in the center of the windshield? I’m not around my AlfaOBD software right now, but hopefully there is a way to connect to the DASM. If it’s not in the list of modules for a RAM, we’ll have to see if it’s in the list for some other FCA vehicle.

So yes, i mounted it in the center best i could. I will adjust the angle now that i know what that needs to be. I played around with Alpha on windows and was able to connect and clear the DTCs for the DASM but one still remains - C2206. There isn't an option for the 2019 RAM calibration but there is for 14-17 jeep Cherokee. Unfortunately i think because they are completely different units the calibration won't work. I emailed Alexey and asked if he could add the feature for the 5th Gen Rams. He said he would include it in the next update and will send me the beta version once he adds it. I'm confident this is the final step that needs to be completed.

Eventually i plan on getting the correct windshield, but i'm waiting for a rock to hit mine and crack it so i can just claim insurance and get it for cheap. A new windshield and calibration procedure cost about $800-900 ($300 of that is calibration).

Users who are viewing this thread