5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proof of screwed up Rebel12 build?

edgarrian

Reaction score
I was looking recently and if you look at some of the window stickers for the Rebel 12's now they list the 9 speaker system as part of the Rebel 12 package instead of the HK system. It appears that the HK system that was originally available became constrained in supply and FCA elected to offer the Rebel 12 package with the 9 speaker system. I assume the 9 speaker system is the Alpine speaker system but do not know for sure.

I was originally set on a red/black rebel 12 but that color was originally not available when the ordering for the rebel 12 package was opened up. I was looking last weekend at other color combos and when feeding the VIN# into the window sticker link it showed the rebel 12 package with a 9 speaker system instead of the HK system. The red trim around the door speakers was not shown on the interior shots of the trucks.

There were some cases of rebel 12's getting ordered with the alpine speaker system in addition to the HK system included with the rebel 12 package. It adds more cost with arguably a less capable speaker package. Apparently, the Red / Black color scheme was available for at least a few hours with the rebel 12 package as that is what the window sticker read.

One thing that is consistent so far is that the Rebel 12 package should come with heated leather seats. No tire tread pattern infills.

At this point, I'm waiting to see what the HD options pan out to be.
Some folks were very unhappy that the 9 speaker add-on for the Rebel 12 at additional cost deleted the HK 19 speaker configuration that was part of the package. The handling of the Rebel 12 edition wasn't handled very well in my opinion.

In my research I have where some owners are reporting the the 19 speaker system is underpowered by the amp. They were hoping that FCA would have a simple fix such as an update but you can squeeze so much power out of an amp. Although with todays technology i could be wrong. Im also uncertain of how big of a problem that really is as there isn't very many of the 19HK systems. There was one in Williston ND that I was looking at. I declined to pursue that option. So id assume its why the 9 speaker Alpine system was brought in. This is the system I have in my truck as I just picked it up yesterday. Actually they drove it to me since Im working and we swapped vehicles at a a gas station. Not sure if the HK would be mixed into an alpine system. Id think that would be highly unlikely. From what I can see is that 19HK system does come with leather seats and the 9speaker system does not. I have the 9speaker option. It would seem supply constraints has effected FCA from the start. A simple headlight lamp is nearly almost impossible to find as I saw guy hit a deer and his dealer couldn't get replacement parts. Found a dealer in CA that was willing to give up the ONLY one they had.

dannydyn

Reaction score
I don't care as much for the HK19 (though it sure sounds nice - no pun), but rather wanted a Rebel with minimal red in the cabin. All that red is a bit too much for my growing old (42) ***.

SWI_Don

Reaction score
If you don't have leather without the tire track inserts then it is not a rebel 12. I have seen 3 different window stickers for rebel 12's. The first you can get on the rebel 12 first buyers thread.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/rebel-12-owners-tracking-thread.3819/

Here is a link to what I have been seeing lately. Rebel 12A package with 9 speakers.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6SRFLT7KN730752

I have also attached a jpg of a truck sticker that a dealer gave me on a truck I was trying to buy. It has no VIN, probably because he didn't want me to shop the truck at another dealer. It wasn't in his stock. It has the rebel 12 package and the 9 speaker system added on.

Attachments

• FullSizeR.jpeg
    FullSizeR.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 27

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, nearly $600 to wipe out the HK audio. I'm not sure anyone can say there aren't a lot of the HK systems out there. Finding A Limited out there without one would be a challenge.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Like I said above, personally, I'm not an audiophile, and can live without the HK12, even though I'm sure it sounds great. I just want black seats. Too much red going inside that cabin IMO.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Danny I can agree with you when you sit in the back. I don't particular car for all the read. But I do like the how they did the entire front of the cabin. Im not sitting in the back so meh its no big deal. But I agree with you on some level

Tommy R

Reaction score
I would've been okay with the cloth seats, but yeah the red backs of the seats was a bit....much. I was pleased that the R12 package's leather seats had the red toned down a bit. I absolutely adore the interior of my truck and the HK system is top notch. Only criticism I have is that there's only a 3 band "equalizer". I would've preferred at least 5 to get the sound the way I'd prefer. That being said, I'm still very pleased with it.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Danny I can agree with you when you sit in the back. I don't particular car for all the read. But I do like the how they did the entire front of the cabin. Im not sitting in the back so meh its no big deal. But I agree with you on some level

Yeah I don't have an issue with the red on the dash and steering wheel. I actually like that machined look. I can even live with the red on the door panels. But making the seats red as well, is too much and over the top.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Yeah, my dealer had a hard time finding me a Rebel12 with the options I wanted. When they finally did find it, they said it came with the Rebel 12, leather and HK system. It has everything but the HK System. Been talking with the dealership for the past 1 month about it any they say mine didn't come with but it says it should on window sticker. Build sheet says it doesn't have it. So I'm stuck with the 9-speaker Alpine system. It sounds great but really wanted the HK system. Dealership keeps telling me the Alpine is the better system, yeah ok. I'm pissed I'm paying for both systems!
I've also talked to FCA about it and they said I need to talk to the dealership, dead end there.

Dreng

Reaction score
Yeah, my dealer had a hard time finding me a Rebel12 with the options I wanted. When they finally did find it, they said it came with the Rebel 12, leather and HK system. It has everything but the HK System. Been talking with the dealership for the past 1 month about it any they say mine didn't come with but it says it should on window sticker. Build sheet says it doesn't have it. So I'm stuck with the 9-speaker Alpine system. It sounds great but really wanted the HK system. Dealership keeps telling me the Alpine is the better system, yeah ok. I'm pissed I'm paying for both systems!
I've also talked to FCA about it and they said I need to talk to the dealership, dead end there.

Yep, iv been very picky and it seemed like there was a time dealers were adding the 9 speaker "upgrade" not realizing it came with the HK. Iv had some dealers tell me that the 9 is better even though they only HK on the lot. Iv seen people in different Ram groups say the same. Personally I think it's a personal preferance and I prefer the HK

RAMDJ

Reaction score
When do u acquire it

I put the deposit down while it was still in transit. I think it was the 30th. And took delivery on the 6th. Up to 300+ miles already. Now just waiting on my Geny Hitch and diamondback HD topper.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Yep, iv been very picky and it seemed like there was a time dealers were adding the 9 speaker "upgrade" not realizing it came with the HK. Iv had some dealers tell me that the 9 is better even though they only HK on the lot. Iv seen people in different Ram groups say the same. Personally I think it's a personal preferance and I prefer the HK

I have seen a few people state that the amp is not pushing enough power for the 19 speakers system. They set the base at a certain level and it will be noticeably not as loud as before. The guy was hoping an update would fix the issue but an amp can only push so much before its short. However with newer tech nowadays i could be wrong. Some with the 19HK have also said the 9 is a better system. I haven't heard the 19 system so Im not sure. HK is considered in the audio world a lesser brand. Probably depends on what series of HK speakers are in the truck. Revel and Infinity are the series thats considered good quality from HK. Infact some generally swap out some of those speakers for a infinity series.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the HK and I don't feel there's any inadequacy in the amp section. Those complaining probably haven't had the update.

Tommy R

Reaction score
I used to be an audiophile and have put together competition-worthy systems and I'm super pleased with the HK system. Only shortcoming, IMO, is the EQ is only 3 bands. And definitely no lack of low end response/bass!

edgarrian

Reaction score
I used to be an audiophile and have put together competition-worthy systems and I'm super pleased with the HK system. Only shortcoming, IMO, is the EQ is only 3 bands. And definitely no lack of low end response/bass!

Certainly is opinion based. I only said what I did b/c I surf around on the audio forums as well. That seems to be the consensus on that forum. Its like any brand of speakers. They have different series that are better quality. 19 speakers in the cabin of a truck should be good sound quality even if the series is low quality. The amount of speakers would make up for that.

Bose is generally considered a good or the best with the general public but on forums nobody recommends them. I had a audio/theatre professional install our theatre system when we built our home. Im glad I did. He used brand I hadn't necessarily heard of and I asked about using the commercialized brands. So that was the reasoning for me to jump on audio forums.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I've never heard the HK system, only the Alpine system. So I have no idea the sound difference. I'm sure these car company's aren't buying the "top of the line" speakers for their vehicles. You see how small the amps are in these systems. You don't need 19 speakers to have great sound in your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread