5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

davidn0021

Reaction score
Been watching this site and trying to learn the ropes.

Jan 2nd I went to my local dealer intent on purchasing a Limited off their lot (was on their web site). Vehicle was sold. Gave my list of "nice to have" options and they said they would search local inventory. No luck. Then suggested I order - which I was fine with, I was ready to buy a truck. Manager comes back says can't currently place orders, will call me in a week.

Flash forward 3 weeks now, no contact from dealer. Planned to head back there today (I was out of country all last week) and I noticed on their web site now all dealer discounts are removed. Is this happening because suddenly they are selling trucks? Very frustrated.

I did a search around CA for other dealers to see what inventory they had or if it appeared they were willing to work with someone on pricing. Would prefer my local dealer (they are literally 2 miles from my house) but also willing to drive a couple of hours to save $8-10k off the price of a truck.

I found a number of CA dealers still offering discounts, linking this one in particular as I have not seen any deals even close to approaching this dealer - or is this a "too good to be true" scenario? Call me paranoid. Would another dealer typically match or all dependent on how desperate they are to sell this month? I had not seen a Limited up till now under $50k in CA.

https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram....e-county-45aa1ac40a0e0a172f9264f5e04472c2.htm

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

I think you and I are in the same area! I called HB and they were as rude as can be so I decided not to buy from them. And actually, if you look at their 'used' list, they have a couple of returns listed there for really cheap. Makes you wonder why they were returned...

I've spoken to the people at McPeek who actually has almost the exact truck I want but they want some astronomical amount. I then contacted Hunter out in Lancaster who seemed to be able to do a dealer trade with the guys at McPeek but at the last minute that fell apart. Then got the same waiting game as you as far as locating one for me. Seems trucks in SoCal are moving so dealers aren't willing to budge on discounts or anything else, hence why I was going to up my downpayment on a lease. But after a few responses from others here, I'm rethinking the downpayment entirely and just work on getting a better selling price to reduce my cap cost. HTH!

JayMann

Reaction score
Been watching this site and trying to learn the ropes.

Jan 2nd I went to my local dealer intent on purchasing a Limited off their lot (was on their web site). Vehicle was sold. Gave my list of "nice to have" options and they said they would search local inventory. No luck. Then suggested I order - which I was fine with, I was ready to buy a truck. Manager comes back says can't currently place orders, will call me in a week.

Flash forward 3 weeks now, no contact from dealer. Planned to head back there today (I was out of country all last week) and I noticed on their web site now all dealer discounts are removed. Is this happening because suddenly they are selling trucks? Very frustrated.

I did a search around CA for other dealers to see what inventory they had or if it appeared they were willing to work with someone on pricing. Would prefer my local dealer (they are literally 2 miles from my house) but also willing to drive a couple of hours to save $8-10k off the price of a truck.

I found a number of CA dealers still offering discounts, linking this one in particular as I have not seen any deals even close to approaching this dealer - or is this a "too good to be true" scenario? Call me paranoid. Would another dealer typically match or all dependent on how desperate they are to sell this month? I had not seen a Limited up till now under $50k in CA.

https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram....e-county-45aa1ac40a0e0a172f9264f5e04472c2.htm

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Your more realistic price is the 52k - they are showing you what the other offers are that you may or may not qualify for. But that dealership discount is pretty good in my opinion (the $12k)

Cannonball

Reaction score
I'm finally pulling the trigger on a Limited, probably today:

2019 RAM Limited 4x4 5'7" HEMI V8
Billet Silver
Protection Group
Level 1
33-gallon Tank
22" Wheels
MSRP $66205

The lease quoted me thus far is $629/mo w/ 9.5% tax inclusive for 36 mo/10K year with $7K down and a $2250 rebate. I'm not sure I believe that number as I think they're throwing in other fees in there to add to the net capitalized cost of the truck. Gonna take a closer look at the breakdown today when I go into the dealership to work through the final numbers. I believe residual I was quoted for this truck was 56% w/ a money factor of 0.00096. Already got the pre-approval with Tier 1 credit (800+) for both the wife and I so let's see how much more I can work them. Thoughts?
7000 over 36 months adds nearly 200$ a month to your lease. So 830$ per month vs you could get 10k off msrp, 9.5% tax, put your 7 down, and pay 975 per month on a 60 mo loan at 3.5% to own it
Your more realistic price is the 52k - they are showing you what the other offers are that you may or may not qualify for. But that dealership discount is pretty good in my opinion (the $12k)
Pretty good in your opinion? Dude. That's 10% below invoice plus additional incentive and rebate... On. A. Limited. Built October 31st, so more than likely not a return. Other than the pictures being totally wrong, that's a deal I feel is also impossible to be true. Call and see!

pilottim

Reaction score

Too good to be true. You might qualify for some, probably will not qualify for all. Additionally, these may not be stackable. I don't like it when dealers advertise these prices.

Affiliate offer: $1,000 cash back for USAA members using USAA car shopping service
Conquest offer: $1,000 cash back for owning non-FCA truck for at least 30 days before delivery of new vehicle
Low credit score offer: $750 cash back for customers with FICO score below 620
Conquest offer: $500 cash back for customers currently leasing a competitive vehicle (non Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram or FIAT product)
Trade Group Offer: $500 cash back for National Association of Realtors employees with proof of employment (current pay stub, W2, photo ID)

Like JayMann says, this is in the 52-53k range. A pretty good deal. One dealership around me is advertising 10-11k off Limiteds plus $1,250 cash back, so 11-12k off MSRP.

davidn0021

Reaction score
7000 over 36 months adds nearly 200$ a month to your lease. So 830$ per month vs you could get 10k off msrp, 9.5% tax, put your 7 down, and pay 975 per month on a 60 mo loan at 3.5% to own it

So you're saying just pay the higher monthly/interest instead of putting any money down or flat-out go for the finance option?

DSGB

Reaction score
Those that live in the SoCal area...hit up Chris Broosalis at Hunter Ram in Lancaster, CA. The have a large inventory and usually work deals to be had. You have to be quick as there great deals sells quick

davidn0021

Reaction score
Those that live in the SoCal area...hit up Chris Broosalis at Hunter Ram in Lancaster, CA. The have a large inventory and usually work deals to be had. You have to be quick as there great deals sells quick

Yes I've been working with Emma and Sean over there, but unfortunately they don't have the configuration I'm looking for. They're actively doing a vehicle locate/trade for me but seems most dealership want to hold onto their inventory.

JeffK2019

Reaction score
Too good to be true. You might qualify for some, probably will not qualify for all. Additionally, these may not be stackable. I don't like it when dealers advertise these prices.

Affiliate offer: $1,000 cash back for USAA members using USAA car shopping service
Conquest offer: $1,000 cash back for owning non-FCA truck for at least 30 days before delivery of new vehicle
Low credit score offer: $750 cash back for customers with FICO score below 620
Conquest offer: $500 cash back for customers currently leasing a competitive vehicle (non Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram or FIAT product)
Trade Group Offer: $500 cash back for National Association of Realtors employees with proof of employment (current pay stub, W2, photo ID)

Like JayMann says, this is in the 52-53k range. A pretty good deal. One dealership around me is advertising 10-11k off Limiteds plus $1,250 cash back, so 11-12k off MSRP.

I realize I won't qualify for most of those smaller rebates. Actually I think none. If I can get a Limited with what I want below $55k I will be happy. The "Dealer Discount" hopefully doesn't require qualifying and when they list $11-12k on that I would be happy. My best local ones previously were around $8k. However now most of my local dealers are showing only the $1,250 rebate with dealer discounts removed.

I stopped at my dealer today - made it up the food chain further, sat down with the GM and had the order inputting into the computer. OFF ROAD group still not available. I feel like if I am ordering I should not have to settle, if I want to settle I can just find something close on a lot somewhere and maybe give up my color choice, etc.. GM said on Feb 7th things open back up and he would know more then - so stopping back Feb 7th. Wondering if I should just road trip to another dealer and find something close to my spec. Really want to try and support my local dealer, plus if any problems nice to have them close, but tough not being able to even order.

DSGB

Reaction score
Yes I've been working with Emma and Sean over there, but unfortunately they don't have the configuration I'm looking for. They're actively doing a vehicle locate/trade for me but seems most dealership want to hold onto their inventory.
Yeah I had then try dealer trade with Carlsbad while I waited for my order....of course they wanted to hold on to their truck that's been there 4+ months nor did they want to match Hunter..

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I realize I won't qualify for most of those smaller rebates. Actually I think none. If I can get a Limited with what I want below $55k I will be happy. The "Dealer Discount" hopefully doesn't require qualifying and when they list $11-12k on that I would be happy. My best local ones previously were around $8k. However now most of my local dealers are showing only the $1,250 rebate with dealer discounts removed.

I stopped at my dealer today - made it up the food chain further, sat down with the GM and had the order inputting into the computer. OFF ROAD group still not available. I feel like if I am ordering I should not have to settle, if I want to settle I can just find something close on a lot somewhere and maybe give up my color choice, etc.. GM said on Feb 7th things open back up and he would know more then - so stopping back Feb 7th. Wondering if I should just road trip to another dealer and find something close to my spec. Really want to try and support my local dealer, plus if any problems nice to have them close, but tough not being able to even order.

The dealership I ordered from told same thing about the beginning of Feb for the off road group.. I had to push a little for that info as they first told me it was available at all. I ordered my on the 11th and didn't feel like waiting another month especially with the 8 to 10 week build time.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I realize I won't qualify for most of those smaller rebates. Actually I think none. If I can get a Limited with what I want below $55k I will be happy. The "Dealer Discount" hopefully doesn't require qualifying and when they list $11-12k on that I would be happy.

And, it shouldn't. You should be able to buy that truck today for the $52.9k listed. But you need to hurry, because it expires at 10pm tonight.

As far as the other question about dealer inventory in CA, I've been religiously checking inventory on dealer websites for the past three months and inventory has rarely changed - and I mean multiple dealers in CA. I don't see many getting in multiple new vehicles, and very few have eTorque, Ram Boxes and almost no two-tones so I think there's still supply chain issues with all of those options.

mobiusnc

Reaction score
19 Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 5’7” in GA
V8, Level 2 Options, LED Package, 20” wheels, Anti-spin, blind-spot and cross path, rubber mats.
No dealer installed options (high markup like nitrogen, door protection, etc)

MSRP: $51k
Paid: $38.5 (includes all fees but not tax, title, tags)

No Trade. $6,925 in rebates. Financing at 5.75%, but will re-finance after 4 payments with credit union. I could refinance tomorrow, but they were upfront so I’m not going make them loose their back-end on the financing.
My first new truck purchase, but I feel like I did pretty well by the dealer.

I appreciate this forum and all the help this thread gave me.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
For what it's worth. Here are the rebates I can supposedly qualify for.

USAA $1000 OR Military $500 (opted for USAA obviously.)
Conquest Lease - $500 - I'm leasing a Mazda CX-5 GT
Subprime credit- $750 - My credit stinks after a supposed miss payment. Addressing the issue did not seem to improve my credit. Hey, take off another $750 though...
Retail consumer cash - $2750 usually discounted off the top without negotiations. However, I have heard from other dealerships my credit score does not qualify for it, or allows me to do an incentive APR to lower my rate for financing which can outweigh the discount.
Rebate total = $5000

Most dealers on a Laramie are between $5-$8k off MSRP, totaling around $9-$11K off MSRP at about 90% of the dealers in my area. This is before negotiating the actual price of the truck.

A small tip that's been mentioned many times in this thread. A dealership may have a huge dealer discount, but often times they mark up the price by adding in dealer options. The dealer options are how they make that difference back. Some dealerships will not negotiate on the options.

In this thread, I linked a Rebel 12 that was under $44K as it has over $13K off MSRP BEFORE the rebates. They added in over $4K of dealer options to the truck that was not worth it.

Another small tip. I've had clarification from 3 different dealerships that RAM will also do 2-3 years of oil changes free. It's paid for by them to the dealership and you can usually throw that into the deal. Don't quote me for your state/area, but 3 here in my city will do it.

Leasing the RAMS does not seem to be the smartest choices right now. I would rather pay an extra $100-$150 a month to own it than to lease. I don't know why it's so much different than other lease's, but that's what my research has shown over the past 2 months.

With all that said. I am tempted to wait until February as more and more dealers are offering less on the dealer discounts. Also, I have a feeling that there will be better rebates

Dreng

Reaction score
For what it's worth. Here are the rebates I can supposedly qualify for.

USAA $1000 OR Military $500 (opted for USAA obviously.)
Conquest Lease - $500 - I'm leasing a Mazda CX-5 GT
Subprime credit- $750 - My credit stinks after a supposed miss payment. Addressing the issue did not seem to improve my credit. Hey, take off another $750 though...
Retail consumer cash - $2750 usually discounted off the top without negotiations. However, I have heard from other dealerships my credit score does not qualify for it, or allows me to do an incentive APR to lower my rate for financing which can outweigh the discount.
Rebate total = $5000

Most dealers on a Laramie are between $5-$8k off MSRP, totaling around $9-$11K off MSRP at about 90% of the dealers in my area. This is before negotiating the actual price of the truck.

A small tip that's been mentioned many times in this thread. A dealership may have a huge dealer discount, but often times they mark up the price by adding in dealer options. The dealer options are how they make that difference back. Some dealerships will not negotiate on the options.

In this thread, I linked a Rebel 12 that was under $44K as it has over $13K off MSRP BEFORE the rebates. They added in over $4K of dealer options to the truck that was not worth it.

Another small tip. I've had clarification from 3 different dealerships that RAM will also do 2-3 years of oil changes free. It's paid for by them to the dealership and you can usually throw that into the deal. Don't quote me for your state/area, but 3 here in my city will do it.

Leasing the RAMS does not seem to be the smartest choices right now. I would rather pay an extra $100-$150 a month to own it than to lease. I don't know why it's so much different than other lease's, but that's what my research has shown over the past 2 months.

With all that said. I am tempted to wait until February as more and more dealers are offering less on the dealer discounts. Also, I have a feeling that there will be better rebates

Ram truck month usually runs sometime from Feb thru March. Last year it was Feb 1st thru March 31st.

Cannonball

Reaction score
So you're saying just pay the higher monthly/interest instead of putting any money down or flat-out go for the finance option?

I'm saying put the 7k down and finance to buy instead of lease. You're just over $3k in lease interest for 3 years plus acquisition and disposition fees for the lease. A loan of 54k total interest (assuming your tier 1 credit gets your 3.5% or less) is only about 1k more. But remember, at the end of 36mo, if you keep the truck, you'll need to get another loan and the total interest of THAT loan will be another $3k! That's on a 40k loan from .56 residual of 66k msrp with 9.5% tax and 4% interest (rates are going up!).

If you can sustain the additional monthly cost, AND you want to keep the truck beyond 3 years, I would recommend buying.

Keep it 5 years and you'll save:
2-4k on purchase price (better buying power vs leasing)
Total interest will have summed to a wash by year 5
Have 25k in equity (estimate) in a truck you own.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the incentives they offer are only in a perfect world. Most people can not possibly qualify for all the incentives. On a $50k truck you can probably squeeze about $4500 in dealer discount plus all the incentives(rebates) you qualify for. In a perfect scenario you would need a credit score under 580, be in the military or discharged within 6 mos, lease a non FMC vehicle and own a competitor truck. With cash rebates you could probably get close to 15-16k off. Without those, maybe 10-11k off. Also, buy the last week of the month, and /or last month of the year. Hope that makes sense.
15 to 16k off a 50k truck is Not possible. 4500 dealer discount on a 50k truck is a stretch without having a trade in messing with the numbers as we've seen here. Limiteds have more dealer discount but less incentives so overall you can't generalize numbers without stating trim level.

The common goal is 7% below invoice. Then add whatever else you or the trim qualify for. That takes all the variables of qualifying rebates out of it.

I'm not :mad: i just think people should be presented with attainable numbers to prevent them becoming frustrated with their dealers!

I think you're west coast but these are se region.

Screenshot_2019-01-24-09-20-03.png Screenshot_2019-01-24-09-20-03.png

Deriggs007

Reaction score
15 to 16k off a 50k truck is Not possible. 4500 dealer discount on a 50k truck is a stretch without having a trade in messing with the numbers as we've seen here. Limiteds have more dealer discount but less incentives so overall you can't generalize numbers without stating trim level.

The common goal is 7% below invoice. Then add whatever else you or the trim qualify for. That takes all the variables of qualifying rebates out of it.

I'm not :mad: i just think people should be presented with attainable numbers to prevent them becoming frustrated with their dealers!

I think you're west coast but these are se region.

View attachment 14426 View attachment 14426

Regardless of the trim. I rarely find any truck with less than $5K off MSRP in my area. Most are $6-$8K off MSRP in just the Laramie trim, even more on Limited...
Here's a limited with over $10K off MSRP in dealer discounts + rebates. If you qualify for the same rebates I do, you can basically get a $68K MSRP for $53K~

https://www.boernedodge.com/invento...w-1500-limited-4wd-crew-cab-1c6srfhtxkn673617

Here is a Laramie with close to $7K in dealer discounts + rebates
https://www.ingramparkcj.net/new-San+Antonio-2019-RAM-1500-Laramie-1C6RREJT6KN716871

Last edited:

Creep0321

Reaction score
Regardless of the trim. I rarely find any truck with less than $5K off MSRP in my area. Most are $6-$8K off MSRP in just the Laramie trim, even more on Limited...
Here's a limited with over $10K off MSRP in dealer discounts + rebates. If you qualify for the same rebates I do, you can basically get a $68K MSRP for $53K~

https://www.boernedodge.com/invento...w-1500-limited-4wd-crew-cab-1c6srfhtxkn673617

Here is a Laramie with close to $7K in dealer discounts. The rebates are much higher here, so I'm sure it's not accurate
https://www.ingramparkcj.net/new-San+Antonio-2018-RAM-1500-Laramie-1C6RR7NM1JS310060

I only looked at the last one you had but that’s a 2018 ECODIESEL, that they are desperately trying to unload....

Deriggs007

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread