5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Cannonball

Reaction score
Regardless of the trim. I rarely find any truck with less than $5K off MSRP in my area. Most are $6-$8K off MSRP in just the Laramie trim, even more on Limited...
Here's a limited with over $10K off MSRP in dealer discounts + rebates. If you qualify for the same rebates I do, you can basically get a $68K MSRP for $53K~

https://www.boernedodge.com/invento...w-1500-limited-4wd-crew-cab-1c6srfhtxkn673617

Here is a Laramie with close to $7K in dealer discounts. The rebates are much higher here, so I'm sure it's not accurate
https://www.ingramparkcj.net/new-San+Antonio-2018-RAM-1500-Laramie-1C6RR7NM1JS310060
Exactly my point, thr limited you linked is 7% off invoice! I'm not sure how you qualify for $4,000 in rebates beyond the 1250 incentive to get to your claimed 15k off msrp?

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Exactly my point, thr limited you linked is 7% off invoice! I'm not sure how you qualify for $4,000 in rebates beyond the 1250 incentive to get to your claimed 15k off msrp?

Key word. If you qualify for the same rebates I do

Dealer discount: $10,351
Retail Consumer: $1250
USAA: $1000
Subprime: $750
Conquest Lease: $500

Total: $13,851 - I didn't claim $15K by the way. Someone else did ;). But I still qualify for just under $14K. If I was leasing a truck and not a crossover, you could tack on more.

A few of the dealerships also have the SE region discount or whatever it's called. Though they are a little out of the way for me, or I don't think it's worth it for the price of the vehicle even with the additional rebate.

I'm not saying you can get $15-$16K off MSRP. But $4500 dealer discount is NOT a stretch where I'm at. If I'm not getting $6K at minimum, I'm going to a different dealer. I haven't had to go to a different dealer other than one.

Cannonball

Reaction score
That was my bad, selected the wrong one. The dealer discounts are still about the same. I'll edit it and post the right one.

EDIT: https://www.ingramparkcj.net/new-San+Antonio-2019-RAM-1500-Laramie-1C6RREJT6KN716871
Dealer discount is still just short of $7K before rebates
Now that's a good dealer discount! Over 10% off invoice! But that supports my point, that's a 50k truck, there is no way that would sell for 34 to $35k with the previously claimed 15-16k of msrp. Those just are not real numbers to be throwing out there

Cannonball

Reaction score
Key word. If you qualify for the same rebates I do

Dealer discount: $10,351
Retail Consumer: $1250

Total: $13,851 - I didn't claim $15K by the way. Someone else did ;). But I still qualify for just under $14K. If I was leasing a truck and not a crossover, you could tack on more.

A few of the dealerships also have the SE region discount or whatever it's called. Though they are a little out of the way for me, or I don't think it's worth it for the price of the vehicle even with the additional rebate.

I'm not saying you can get $15-$16K off MSRP. But $4500 dealer discount is NOT a stretch where I'm at. If I'm not getting $6K at minimum, I'm going to a different dealer. I haven't had to go to a different dealer other than one.
Ah I thought you were the 15-16k off a 50k truck guy.

I'm sure you already checked that those rebates are all compatible for you.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
MSRP $49,910
Dealer Discount - $6906
Retail Consumer: $2750
Total discount: $11906

Total: $38004 + TTL for a $50K truck. Not bad IMO, yes I agree with you about the $15-$16K unless you qualify for enough incentives on a limited trim. But the dealer discounts in the Texas area are great if the national average is $4Kish

Again, your mileage might vary on rebates. I confirmed that the ones I mentioned DO stack. Don't let a dealer tell you otherwise. If you leased a truck, you will qualify for additional rebate.

The SE/SW rebate should also apply, but I don't see it that common in my areas I'm looking at.

Just my 0.02c - I'm still going to wait for truck month personally.

Maconi

Reaction score
I think you're all making the same argument you're just using static prices. The point seems to be that getting more than roughly 25% off the MSRP isn't likely. Anything above roughly 22% off MSRP should be a good deal, correct?

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I think you're all making the same argument you're just using static prices. The point seems to be that getting more than roughly 25% off the MSRP isn't likely. Anything above roughly 22% off MSRP should be a good deal, correct?

For a Bighorn, yes.

At the moment, % goes down on average with the higher trims...seems like good deal is:

Bighorn: 22% or greater
Laramie: 18% or greater
Rebel: 16% or greater
Longhorn: 16% or greater
Limited: 15% or greater

Beyond those numbers, you're hunting for something unique to that vehicle, that dealer or rebate...your end of the month/quarter to hit accelerators, the truck that's been sitting on the lot for a while and the dealer and/or Ram have extra incentives, the USAA/PenFed/Sams Club offers.

Of course, all this can change based on incentives from the mothership changing.

davidn0021

Reaction score
I'm saying put the 7k down and finance to buy instead of lease. You're just over $3k in lease interest for 3 years plus acquisition and disposition fees for the lease. A loan of 54k total interest (assuming your tier 1 credit gets your 3.5% or less) is only about 1k more. But remember, at the end of 36mo, if you keep the truck, you'll need to get another loan and the total interest of THAT loan will be another $3k! That's on a 40k loan from .56 residual of 66k msrp with 9.5% tax and 4% interest (rates are going up!).

If you can sustain the additional monthly cost, AND you want to keep the truck beyond 3 years, I would recommend buying.

Keep it 5 years and you'll save:
2-4k on purchase price (better buying power vs leasing)
Total interest will have summed to a wash by year 5
Have 25k in equity (estimate) in a truck you own.

Oh if I were to purchase I would avoid the hassle of finance and just pay cash. Or go for the 0% financing to get the rebate (if there is one) then just pay it off on the 2nd payment. I don't think there are any prepayment penalties. But I don't think I'd want to keep it for more than 3 years. These days, I sorta get sick of my cars after 2.5 years, which makes me the ideal candidate to lease. I've purchased and owned cars in my day and I would rather not deal with the headaches of maintenance and having things break on me after warranty. Another option could be to purchase, drive it for a 2-3 years, then do a trade-in for a new one if the depreciation curve has reached its plateau point and the residual is still high. But again, that's dumping close to 60K in cash up front that I will lose closer to 10-15K on when I decide to sell. If I plan on keeping it beyond 5-6 years, then yes I would probably buy but knowing my attitude towards cars, it doesn't make much sense financially nor does it make sense in terms of time/effort. Either way, it's a wash but the lease does allow me to have more cash on hand vs. purchasing.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Let's get one thing straight. If you're here reading this mile long thread, you're here because you want a DEAL! I love it! Well % off invoice is the ONLY way to measure your "deal" fairly to the rest of the world.

1. That is a dynamic number.

2. That eliminates the trucks trim as a factor.

3. That eliminates buyer specific qualifying rebates.

4. That eliminates bs overage trade in numbers.

5. It eliminates tax and dealer fee differences.

If you apply for penfed just to get the 1000 off then you are awesome! Or if you're military then salute to your service! But that doesn't make your deal better than anyone else because you qualify and they don't.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Oh if I were to purchase I would avoid the hassle of finance and just pay cash. Or go for the 0% financing to get the rebate (if there is one) then just pay it off on the 2nd payment. I don't think there are any prepayment penalties. But I don't think I'd want to keep it for more than 3 years. These days, I sorta get sick of my cars after 2.5 years, which makes me the ideal candidate to lease. I've purchased and owned cars in my day and I would rather not deal with the headaches of maintenance and having things break on me after warranty. Another option could be to purchase, drive it for a 2-3 years, then do a trade-in for a new one if the depreciation curve has reached its plateau point and the residual is still high. But again, that's dumping close to 60K in cash up front that I will lose closer to 10-15K on when I decide to sell. If I plan on keeping it beyond 5-6 years, then yes I would probably buy but knowing my attitude towards cars, it doesn't make much sense financially nor does it make sense in terms of time/effort. Either way, it's a wash but the lease does allow me to have more cash on hand vs. purchasing.

In that case, put nothing down and lease at a higher payment. Max your cash on hand and minimize your liabilty in more ways than 1. but dude go with a loaded Laramie, their MF is way better and they are really really nice loaded.

davidn0021

Reaction score
In that case, put nothing down and lease at a higher payment. Max your cash on hand and minimize your liabilty in more ways than 1. but dude go with a loaded Laramie, their MF is way better and they are really really nice loaded.

Agreed.. trying to work a deal now on a Limited with MSRP of $66205, residual at 56% (higher than even what edmonds.com gave me) and MF of 0.00096. Net cap cost is quoted at $54596, but I did the math myself and somehow they are tacking on an additional $1500 somewhere to that to artificially raise my lease payments by $45/mo. So I'm trying to figure out what those fees are. According to another dealer that I'm also working with on a similar optioned truck, he says they're basically giving it to me at invoice. So does that mean there is still wiggle room?

Cygnus A

Reaction score
19 Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 5’7” in GA
V8, Level 2 Options, LED Package, 20” wheels, Anti-spin, blind-spot and cross path, rubber mats.
No dealer installed options (high markup like nitrogen, door protection, etc)

MSRP: $51k
Paid: $38.5 (includes all fees but not tax, title, tags)

No Trade. $6,925 in rebates. Financing at 5.75%, but will re-finance after 4 payments with credit union. I could refinance tomorrow, but they were upfront so I’m not going make them loose their back-end on the financing.
My first new truck purchase, but I feel like I did pretty well by the dealer.

I appreciate this forum and all the help this thread gave me.
Any chance you have some paperwork I could use to show the break outs? I am look for the exact same truck and getting no where with price.

JLUR_

Reaction score
Agreed.. trying to work a deal now on a Limited with MSRP of $66205, residual at 56% (higher than even what edmonds.com gave me) and MF of 0.00096. Net cap cost is quoted at $54596, but I did the math myself and somehow they are tacking on an additional $1500 somewhere to that to artificially raise my lease payments by $45/mo. So I'm trying to figure out what those fees are. According to another dealer that I'm also working with on a similar optioned truck, he says they're basically giving it to me at invoice. So does that mean there is still wiggle room?
They may not be disclosing the acquisition and disposition fees. Usually $795 and $395 respectively but they could be more depending on the dealer.

davidn0021

Reaction score
They may not be disclosing the acquisition and disposition fees. Usually $795 and $395 respectively but they could be more depending on the dealer.

Nope, after accounting for even those, it's still ~$1500 more than what my math gives me based on all the numbers they've shown me. There's definitely some other fees/costs they're not telling me about.

JLUR_

Reaction score
Nope, after accounting for even those, it's still ~$1500 more than what my math gives me based on all the numbers they've shown me. There's definitely some other fees/costs they're not telling me about.
Lease tax?
Dealer allowed MF increase?

lloyde8

Reaction score
2019 big horn 4x4 offroad
$48,600 msrp
Costco pricing $1250 under invoice
Plus $6500 in rebates
$43k after tax/licensing

Attachments

• 20190110_163644.jpg
    20190110_163644.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

rmonte4

Reaction score
For a Bighorn, yes.

At the moment, % goes down on average with the higher trims...seems like good deal is:

Bighorn: 22% or greater
Laramie: 18% or greater
Rebel: 16% or greater
Longhorn: 16% or greater
Limited: 15% or greater

Beyond those numbers, you're hunting for something unique to that vehicle, that dealer or rebate...your end of the month/quarter to hit accelerators, the truck that's been sitting on the lot for a while and the dealer and/or Ram have extra incentives, the USAA/PenFed/Sams Club offers.

Of course, all this can change based on incentives from the mothership changing.

This is definitely good info for someone who is starting to shop around. My Bighorn is being built and my math has me at 22.4% off MSRP but before tax & title fees. ($52k 4x2 Big Horn) at current rebates.

rmonte4

Reaction score
Now that's a good dealer discount! Over 10% off invoice! But that supports my point, that's a 50k truck, there is no way that would sell for 34 to $35k with the previously claimed 15-16k of msrp. Those just are not real numbers to be throwing out there

I guess i see your point, on my $52k Big horn i was able to get $11,710 off (dealer discount, rebates, penfed, and a just received Ram email coupon). I'm not a great negotiator but i cant imagine there was $3290 more of wiggle room from RAM or the Dealer to reach $15k off this truck.

1kyfan

Reaction score
New member here and looking to purchase a Ram 1500 Limited or Laramie Longhorn. I have a 2 part question...:). Because I want the Ram Boxes my choices are limited to the 5’7” bed. Trucks with the Ram Box option are few and far between in the Limited and/or Longhorn trims. I know I could order but I’m interested in taking advantage of the Ram/ Chrysler 72 month zero interest and 90 day deferred payment promotion going on until 31 Jan.

To make a long story short, I found a 1500 Limited with eTorque, Ram Boxes and most of the other options I wanted. The numbers are below, first for financing without the zero interest and then with the zero interest where I will lose some incentives/discounts.

MSRP: $69,950
Selling price with all discounts/incentives: $57,658 (I don’t have the breakdown of how they got to this number)
License Fee: $68.75
Dealer Processing Fee: $699
Destination Fee: $1695 (this seems to be standard)
VA Sales Tax: $2578.05
Out the Door Price: $62698.80

From reading the posts here this seems like a fair to good deal?

Now, if I want to use the 72 month zero financing option I lose the incentives/discounts and they add $2610 (2500 + 110 in taxes = $2610) to the OTD price....

OTD price with 72 month, 0 percent: $65308
They found a Ram rebate for $500 plus another $300 dealer discount...
Final OTD with zero financing is: $64500

I know this is a lot higher than others seem to be paying but with the $5K or so in financing saving I figure it’s still a good deal?

2nd part of my questions deals with all the extras they are trying to sell me....

Ram Advantage/Max Care Extended Warranty - 6 year/100K mile: $4995
Gap Insurance: $895
Ram 6 year/60K Maintenance Plan: $1610
Tire/Wheel Package - 4 yrs Unlimited miles: $765
ECP (inside & outside appearance plan) - 7 yrs: $1995

I’m sure all these prices are high to very high. I know I can get an actual Ram extended warranty online for much less, and maybe the tire/wheel plan also? Can you get the other plans online for less also?

My main concern would be getting the Gap coverage since I would be financing above the cash OTD price but $895 seems high. My other thought is that the maintenance plan might be worth it if it covers the big services (30K & 60K) Plus all the services in-between.....thoughts?

Thanks for any thoughts/comments in advance as I need to make a decision soon before the truck with the Ram Boxes and zero interest financing are gone.....

Users who are viewing this thread