5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Baltic

Reaction score
A few members have mentioned the desire to have a price paid thread so I decided to do one and pin it here so it will be easy for everyone to find.

I think the best way to make this thread is as follows:
MSRP of the specific truck
What Rebates and incentives were applied and $ amounts
Any further negotiations
Final price

Please do not include trade in values, taxes, OTD price or anything like that as those are all variable depending on where you live etc. Rebates and incentives are also regional so also please post up where you purchased the truck and when.

Example:

2016 Ram 1500 Sport

MSRP $64,440
-$10,000 rebate from Ram
-$1000 skilled trades rebate
-$3940 additional negotiated at dealer
=$49,500 paid

Vancouver. B.C August 2016
Got sport pkg too and msrp 65k
And paid 49 300$

Tjhook

Reaction score
I need to look, I believe my big Horn tow package was 52,000. Paid 38,500 out the door. I know what I paid not sure what MSRP was. Believe 52 tho.ill check

Lyncdead

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forums. I am thankful for all the posts as it helps me get an idea of what others are paying. I am interested in a 2019 Longhorn and the dealer just doesn't feel like to me is giving me a good deal.

2019 Longhorn
MSRP - 63865
Offer is 58500 before rebates
rebates i qualify for $2000
So asking price is $56500 which is about 11.5% off including rebates.

I tried using the logic of FWP (invoice) - HB which by my calculation would be 56635 then $2000 rebates for a total of 54635. They said no and were pushing for me to lease the truck.

So i left the dealer without purchasing. Of course they called back offering $200 more but said nothing left in the deal.

I know rebates on the longhorn are not really great at the moment. But for dealer discount, shouldn't I at least exepct invoice - HB then subtract rebates?

Thoughts?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I went in saying "I don't pay interest on vehicles. 0% or I walk" I work in Banking and have great credit. (not trying to brag, just background info)

I ended up paying $47k and change for my Laramie. Sticker was 52k and change. They gave me the choice of taking the rebates and incentives or paying dealer invoice and 0% for 72. I ran the calculations both ways and Saved a TON doing 0% for 72.

Purchased in Bluffton, SC on Black Friday (11-23) 2018
Bought mine on Black Friday too!

JLUR_

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forums. I am thankful for all the posts as it helps me get an idea of what others are paying. I am interested in a 2019 Longhorn and the dealer just doesn't feel like to me is giving me a good deal.

2019 Longhorn
MSRP - 63865
Offer is 58500 before rebates
rebates i qualify for $2000
So asking price is $56500 which is about 11.5% off including rebates.

I tried using the logic of FWP (invoice) - HB which by my calculation would be 56635 then $2000 rebates for a total of 54635. They said no and were pushing for me to lease the truck.

So i left the dealer without purchasing. Of course they called back offering $200 more but said nothing left in the deal.

I know rebates on the longhorn are not really great at the moment. But for dealer discount, shouldn't I at least exepct invoice - HB then subtract rebates?

Thoughts?

Find another dealer. Leave holdback out of the equation and just work with invoice minus X percent. 5% below invoice is usually achievable but you can get 6-7% if you work with higher volume dealers like Koons CJD in VA or Superior CJD in Conway, AR. I contacted all of the high-volume dealers within 150 miles of me before I found one that could match the price I was willing to pay.

Reactions: Jro

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Ok question.... I placed my order on January third based off of this build sheet.... View attachment 13049 Then I got this sheet from him today informing me the price went up in a few items.... specifically base price, Hemi and 12” uconnect.... (highlighted) View attachment 13050 has anyone experienced this before? Is it normal? It’s only a couple hundred bucks but still....
My engine was the build price of yours.

98ecdaa2cb4be9a73ac3ae782b8876d0.jpg

V8Spock

Reaction score
I tried using the logic of FWP (invoice) - HB

Invoice price is just as imaginary as MSRP these days. To get the best deal, ask for an out-the-door price (OTD) by phone, then email or text. Have it include all fees, destination, taxes. All in - everything.

If you can, shop the prices between several dealerships with similar trucks on the lot. Investigate payment and financing. Only walk in the door for inspecting, signing and delivery.

It's a lot of work but, the 2019 RAM is worth it!

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Here are my paperworks, just for people to reference. Whether its a good deal, i do t really know. I didnt research this thread at all prior, in fact, I made my account in here a good week after I bought.

This was a Black Friday purchase. November rebates. The rebates itemized, no idea.

The way I figure it, the sticker was $57,125. The dealer discount (DD) $5764. Then the Rebates as a down payment (DP) were $3750.

Totaled the DD plus Rebate as DP = $9514.

In my head, I looked at $47,611 as my cost of the truck ALONE. Or, 16.7% below sticker.

Taxes and such were 4.15 or whatever, applied to the cost of the truck BEFORE rebates as a DP.

I financed thru my Credit Union, so I wrote a check and left with the OTD price of $50,493.65. No risk of YoYo financing where they ask you to vome in b3cause they made a mistake on paperwork and rates.

No trade in.

89fc7173b2c38b39b4120c9f73884ef2.jpg

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Went back through a handfull of pages. Looks like the average is about 19% off the MSRP. Other than a couple of crazy good 28% deals, I'm happy with my 21%. Like I mentioned before, I don't care what they call it or how they get there, dealer discount, rebates, customer cash, etc. Just show me the end result

View attachment 8655

Lyncdead

I think I would keep looking. The above I did back when I was looking. Granted, rebates may be different now, but I think you should do better than 11.5%

schoon85

Reaction score
Just some more information for those of you trying to negotiate your deals. My family worked for a major dealer for about 20 years, and this is what helped me during the buying process. As many others have mentioned, you should be negotiating based on either the MSRP or Invoice Price (if you can get it). Knowing rebate eligibility may vary, this should get you to the best price 1st, then factor in the rebates. I was able to get about 11% below MSRP without rebates on mine. I have seen some dealers get to around 12-13% if they have enough in holdbacks, but that was the most (and years ago). The final price (11% below MSRP) was about 4-5% below invoice. Many volume dealers will just avoid negotiations and give you a straight figure of X% below invoice. Do you research, but a lot of times it can be the best option.

My biggest piece of advice is to not limit yourself to one or 2 dealers. I spread a net of about 250 miles and had 7 dealers working against each other to get the best price. It can be a longer process, but in the end save you thousands of dollars. Just some food for thought. Happy hunting!

Jackham

Reaction score
Invoice price is just as imaginary as MSRP these days. To get the best deal, ask for an out-the-door price (OTD) by phone, then email or text. Have it include all fees, destination, taxes. All in - everything.

If you can, shop the prices between several dealerships with similar trucks on the lot. Investigate payment and financing. Only walk in the door for inspecting, signing and delivery.

It's a lot of work but, the 2019 RAM is worth it!

Yes that was the point I tried to make earlier. I have no idea where people got the idea they actually know the invoice. Kind of naive.

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score
Opinion on the these two quotes? Build is attached.

$46,085 w/ rebates
No other dealership add-ins

The other I have:
$46,269
They offer a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty however. They also said they'd beat the 46,085. That's like 9k off MSRP which I feel is pretty good.

Seems like a good deal to me.

Attachments

• Hall.JPG
    Hall.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 52

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Opinion on the these two quotes? Build is attached.

$46,085 w/ rebates
No other dealership add-ins

The other I have:
$46,269
They offer a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty however. They also said they'd beat the 46,085. That's like 9k off MSRP which I feel is pretty good.

Seems like a good deal to me.
Similar to my deal. Whats the build date...and how long have tbey had it

Jro

Reaction score
The standard "good" deal on here is 7% off invoice price on the sheet. Some people fuss about invoice price not being true invoice. I think that's irrelevant, as the number is the same at every dealer, so it is a useful metric. Your pic is tough to read, but it looks to be more than 7% off. If so, I'd say good deal.

Cannonball

Reaction score
The way I figure it, the sticker was $57,125......

In my head, I looked at $47,611 as my cost of the truck ALONE. Or, 16.7% below sticker.
He// yea for the low optioned out trucks! I love seeing Longhorns or Limiteds selling for well less than $50k. You get So much in the base package of these high trimmed rigs as-is. I'm a pre TTL, $47.3k Limited myself and i couldn't be happier. (Had to have the ramboxes and I splurged on 22s thanks to USAA)

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
He// yea for the low optioned out trucks! I love seeing Longhorns or Limiteds selling for well less than $50k. You get So much in the base package of these high trimmed rigs as-is. I'm a pre TTL, $47.3k Limited myself and i couldn't be happier. (Had to have the ramboxes and I splurged on 22s thanks to USAA)
Yeah, i never ever used my sunroof in any cars I ever had, so that was a no brainer save for me. Didnt need the center iPad, Alpine made me happy as can be.....

I expected to pay 60 grand for my truck. When I left at 50 OTD, i was happy as a pig in sh!t in my Longhorn

Users who are viewing this thread