5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree however I think a lot also depends upon the geographic area, the truck being sold/traded as well as the deal. When you're rural you may not get as good of trade value as you might in a major city like Houston where we have fifteen Ram dealers within a 40 miles drive.

Yesterday, I got $42K trade value for my eTorque and $4250 in rebates/incentives (which included a $1000 FCA offer received via email, a $500 TrueCar offer and a heavy dealer discount so they could move that specific truck which as been on their lot for quite a while). The most I've been offered was $39K by CarMax and $39,460 by Carvana.

By the way, I signed up for "Your Auto Advocate" (https://app.yaamember.com/) to ensure I had additional information at my fingertips to ensure the best deal possible ($19 for a month) - I'm not promoting them as their data was off). It was amazing that they said there was less than a 25% chance the dealer would negotiate on the truck I purchased and that the best I could hope for to offer them $500 less than MSRP. They were way off on their research and proves the right truck, diligent negotiations and ensuring you have every possible rebate, offer, deal from FCA, TrueCar, Costco, Sams, PenFed and anyone else can help you save a little more.
I was up at my old dealer (from 2019) on Saturday and they are loaded with 1500's. I mean as loaded as back in 2019...
Here's there listing of inventory (and they do keep it current): So not everyone has just a few trucks... To be fair I did not look at the breakdown of trims, for all I know 99% could be Tradesman... Ha Ha

Model
  1. 1500 137
  2. 1500 Classic 63
  3. 2500 88
  4. 3500 79
  5. 3500 Chassis 36
  6. 4500 Chassis 86
  7. 5500 Chassis 50

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was up at my old dealer (from 2019) on Saturday and they are loaded with 1500's. I mean as loaded as back in 2019...
Here's there listing of inventory (and they do keep it current): So not everyone has just a few trucks... To be fair I did not look at the breakdown of trims, for all I know 99% could be Tradesman... Ha Ha

Model
  1. 1500 137
  2. 1500 Classic 63
  3. 2500 88
  4. 3500 79
  5. 3500 Chassis 36
  6. 4500 Chassis 86
  7. 5500 Chassis 50
Kernersville?

JODYJCATALANO

Reaction score
I tried to order a Limited today from two very high volume and reputable dealers. It would not let me order with these items as they are on "hold" as ordering options right now - Advanced Safety Group (I was getting the 10th Anniversary Package too), Technology Group, the Maximum Steel Metallic ext color, and the Trailer Camera Wiring Prep package. One of the sales managers called a regional rep and was informed that all of the above are "on hold" at this time.

I chose to wait, because I want all of the above.

Hasti17

Reaction score
I tried to order a Limited today from two very high volume and reputable dealers. It would not let me order with these items as they are on "hold" as ordering options right now - Advanced Safety Group (I was getting the 10th Anniversary Package too), Technology Group, the Maximum Steel Metallic ext color, and the Trailer Camera Wiring Prep package. One of the sales managers called a regional rep and was informed that all of the above are "on hold" at this time.

I chose to wait, because I want all of the above.
Im actually very surprised at the level of options they are pulling from production, i wanted olive green on my laramie and that is also not orderable

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im actually very surprised at the level of options they are pulling from production, i wanted olive green on my laramie and that is also not orderable
That’s because there are tiny microchips in the olive green paint that track your movements. But there’s a chip shortage right now.

stembridge

Reaction score
I had two different dealers tell me I could not order Olive Pearl on my Classic back in June. Not sure why, as Aaron at Mark Dodge was able to get 'er done.

es

denniscoe

Reaction score
I had two different dealers tell me I could not order Olive Pearl on my Classic back in June. Not sure why, as Aaron at Mark Dodge was able to get 'er done.

es

If you don’t mind me asking.. What’s your classic build? I don’t see a ton of guys on here order the classic and I’m debating between the two

Hasti17

Reaction score

es
I had the exact opposite, two dealers quoted me in a green laramie and Aaron was the guy to tell me it wasnt on the menu, shame cause i was attached to my build in green and it is the wifes favorite color. But the devil is in not knowing when it would be orderable again. And we need a new truck so its not really an option to wait out whatever production cluster is limiting so many "orderable" options

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I emailed the dealer sales manager and texted the salesman that I am not going to take delivery of the Limited and want my $500 deposit back. I have an email from April that the deposit is refundable. So far no response, but should get one tomorrow.

Didn't like the dealer's attitude on the $1000 Penfed not being locked in (like I told them to). And didn't realize Limited has air suspension standard (not ideal for WI). And 2022 has Uconnect5, a big upgrade IMO.

Will probably order a Longhorn or SW edition in a couple years from Aaron and enjoy the Laramie until then.

Hasti17

Reaction score
That’s because there are tiny microchips in the olive green paint that track your movements. But there’s a chip shortage right now.
Ahh see when they says chips i thought tostitos were included in the purchase. Now it all makes sense.

Kingbama

Reaction score
Wow no ASG or TG in the Limited? Well that makes my decision to wait much easier. Sucks to not take advantage of the high trade in prices but once things normalize and incentives are back it will more than make up the difference. I did read somewhere that chip production has just doubled for one of the big chip factories for Q3 so this will probably be very temporary.

Bertman

Reaction score
Here's my story, my first post and kinda long, but related to some of the recent posts so I'll share. I debated Ram vs GM for a while(I'm 6'8" and hit my head in newer F-150's), eventually ordered a GMC AT4 on Jan 6. Found out in Mar that it was "built" but w/o parts because of the chip shortage with no ETA. I got fed up with dropping rebates and not wanting a truck that's sat in a field for several months so I got my deposit back and walked away.

Mid July they called and said the truck I ordered had arrived, I still wasn't interested in buying it, but I wanted to at least check it out. While I was there they offered me $4k more to trade in my F-150 than they did in Jan. My first thought was "I wonder if somebody with a truck I want will match that", found a Ram dealership 45 min's away with a 2021 Larame Night Edition almost exactly how I would have ordered.

I was disappointed there were no rebates, but I was confident that the extra $4k trade-in value for my old truck would drop before the rebates would come back and match, so in my mind that was like a rebate. They still gave me my work discount(not employee pricing, but close to it), and matched the other dealerships offer for my F-150.

In short, I went from owning a 2013 F-150 since new, ordered a GMC AT4 but bought a Ram. I probably didn't get the best deal, but seeing how the dealership closest to me is charging a $1k "stocking fee", I'm happy I didn't have to deal with anything like that.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Here's my story, my first post and kinda long, but related to some of the recent posts so I'll share. I debated Ram vs GM for a while(I'm 6'8" and hit my head in newer F-150's), eventually ordered a GMC AT4 on Jan 6. Found out in Mar that it was "built" but w/o parts because of the chip shortage with no ETA. I got fed up with dropping rebates and not wanting a truck that's sat in a field for several months so I got my deposit back and walked away.

Mid July they called and said the truck I ordered had arrived, I still wasn't interested in buying it, but I wanted to at least check it out. While I was there they offered me $4k more to trade in my F-150 than they did in Jan. My first thought was "I wonder if somebody with a truck I want will match that", found a Ram dealership 45 min's away with a 2021 Larame Night Edition almost exactly how I would have ordered.

I was disappointed there were no rebates, but I was confident that the extra $4k trade-in value for my old truck would drop before the rebates would come back and match, so in my mind that was like a rebate. They still gave me my work discount(not employee pricing, but close to it), and matched the other dealerships offer for my F-150.

In short, I went from owning a 2013 F-150 since new, ordered a GMC AT4 but bought a Ram. I probably didn't get the best deal, but seeing how the dealership closest to me is charging a $1k "stocking fee", I'm happy I didn't have to deal with anything like that.
Well at least when my dealership steals money from you they call it what it is a "mark up." They should just call them a reverse incentive the "because we can" charge. I bought like six weeks ago and they took the 1250 Stellantis incentive and tacked it on top of the MSRP so I paid MSRP. The got the incentive. But still, since then, they are "marking up" all of them on their lot by as much as 4000 plus and sold a Power Wagon at 10K over MSRP. So, I did well. They had a TRX and it had a 96K price on it when I was there. I just shook my head... But, I got almost 6K more than what they offered me in March 2020. The offset on the lack of incentives was better than the incentives alone except for the 0% interest for 84 months. I did a search on Auto Trader on "Built to Serve" and found maybe 20 or so out there in the wild for sale, most of them the last white Coast Guard ones. They are ALL marked up across the country by at least 4K, so I'm feeling better every day about my purchase. My 2015 Outdoorsman would stop (engine) at 65 mph while pulling a 6500 lb travel trailer telling me to put it in Park and restart it and NOT throwing a cooe... Not pleasant... After three days, they said they had to wait for a factory rep in about a week to take a look and hey, they were looking at a big database of unusual problems... They still gave me 21K for my 2015 (offered me 13 to 15K 2020) and the BTS checked my towing boxes.

stembridge

Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking.. What’s your classic build? I don’t see a ton of guys on here order the classic and I’m debating between the two
It's in my sig below... I sold my '15 2500 Tradesman 4x4 back in June, and prefer the DS styling over the DT (retired industrial designer) as well as fewer gizmos, so it was a no-brainer, especially with the lower price-point. I basically specced out a 'poor man's Warlock.'

es

BunkMoreland

Reaction score
Traded in my 19 (14k miles) and they gave me 14k more for it than I paid a year and a half ago at the same dealership. Got into a new ‘21 that had better options than my 19 and a fresh warranty. Only got about 3k off msrp but considering how much they have for the older 5th gen, I struck while the iron was hot. Mix that with the excellent new rate I got, payments very similar- I feel like I stole something.

mophead

Reaction score

Model
  1. 1500 137
  2. 1500 Classic 63
  3. 2500 88
  4. 3500 79
  5. 3500 Chassis 36
  6. 4500 Chassis 86
  7. 5500 Chassis 50
I work near the car lots at the Port of Baltimore. Pretty sure it's the biggest on the East Coast. Most of the lots are FULL with trucks loading and waiting to load. Main players; MB all lots packed, some overflow on leased space. Mazda packed; predominately CX- 5's & 7's, lots of 3's too. Stellantis, 2/3 full: every color/model of 1500 ( cept Olive Pearl dangit!), some 2500's few 3500's, lots of JGC, tons of Wranglers and Gladiators and a ****load of 2500 Promasters painted US Mail and Amazon. Toyota almost full, Honda and Hyundai are the only sparse lots although there are 2 ****loads of Tuscons on one lot. Haven't seen the longshoremen ferry this many cars in the past 10 years. Looks like they are unloading 5 different mega carriers today. Hope this is a good sign for improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread