5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
Ok, you are not in any sort of negotiating position. ALWAYS negotiate the price of a vehicle you might order at the time of ordering.
Having said that, in this market, expect to pay MSRP but start at invoice price less 1%. Most dealerships will traditionally do orders at that price. Tell the dealership that is what you were expecting when you ordered.

Remember your exact wording needs to be “Invoice less 1%”.

Limited2021

Reaction score
Ok, you are not in any sort of negotiating position. ALWAYS negotiate the price of a vehicle you might order at the time of ordering.
Having said that, in this market, expect to pay MSRP but start at invoice price less 1%. Most dealerships will traditionally do orders at that price. Tell the dealership that is what you were expecting when you ordered.

Remember your exact wording needs to be “Invoice less 1%”.

OK Thank you for the help. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK Thank you for the help. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

And if they are going to low ball you on your trade, sell it to one of the places overpaying currently (vroom/autonation etc). Only takes a few minutes to get a quote from those places to know the full potential of your trade value. Of course if your state has a sales tax trade in credit, you will need to factor that in as well. However, if the dealer gave a low enough offer, it could be very worth it to go another route and sell elsewhere.

mophead

Reaction score
Made a stop at Country ( Jeff D'Ambrosia ) CJDR in Oxford Pa today. MSRP and not a nickle less. Not happening. I'm off to the long wait for the market to be conducive again for buying now. Is what it is.

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
Just left Mark CDJR in Lake Charles. Aaron is even more genuine in person than he was on the phone. Everything went super smooth. My Nephew did an outstanding job ordering his lonestar/Bighorn because that damn truck was standing tall. I am actually jealous 😝.

Arron asked me to thank everyone on this forum because he and his dealership were number 3 in the entire country in Ram deliveries last month, and for a dealership in a small town in southern Louisiana that is a HUGE accomplishment! Aaron said if not for the support of everyone here it would not have been possible and he promises that no matter how crazy the market, he will continue to make deals and deliver everything he promises.

I, and my extended family, are customers for life. This has been the single most hassle free car purchase I have ever experienced and in today’s environment that’s really an accomplishment.

Last edited:

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Made a stop at Country ( Jeff D'Ambrosia ) CJDR in Oxford Pa today. MSRP and not a nickle less. Not happening. I'm off to the long wait for the market to be conducive again for buying now. Is what it is.
That was the answer I got a few weeks back at Bob Weaver up in Pottsville - to be fair, they did offer about $800 off when I declined MSRP. Since there were additional options I wanted anyways, decided to order and get exactly what was wanted for less otd. We'll see how that plays out...right now I'm hopeful.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
$62,131 is the offer and they no longer can give 0% financing.
If that's ~$5k off MSRP, it doesn't sound awful to me, given that trying to find anything is difficult right now with limited inventory and all. Seems like lots of places are asking MSRP and getting it. I know under invoice is what everyone wants, but right now it's about whether you need the truck and if it's the right truck. Only you can decide if you're willing to pay it.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Just left Mark CDJR in Lake Charles. Aaron is even more genuine in person than he was on the phone. Everything went super smooth. My Nephew did an outstanding job ordering his lonestar/Bighorn because that damn truck was standing tall. I am actually jealous 😝.

Arron asked me to thank everyone on this forum because he and his dealership were number 3 in the entire country in Ram deliveries last month, and for a dealership in a small town in southern Louisiana that is a HUGE accomplishment! Aaron said if not for the support of everyone here it would not have been possible and he promises that no matter how crazy the market, he will continue to make deals and deliver everything he promises.

I, and my extended family, are customers for life. This has been the single most hassle free car purchase I have ever experienced and in today’s environment that’s really an accomplishment.
When I contacted Aaron last week about a Longhorn they just got in he quoted me 1% below invoice plus whatever rebates were available, plus a very good offer for my trade. When I told my local dealer about his quote they said no way could they match that and recommended I take Aaron's deal. Made my decision very easy.

Runagun

Reaction score

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
On a side note when I read quotes from some here and they're shyt quotes. But they buy anyway. Makes me think when I was in school people failed their take home test. This thread has a plethora of information. It's awesome you took advantage of it.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Awesome, thanks for sharing all of that. And I am with you, Aaron has himself a customer for as long as I'm buying a product he is selling, so long as he is able to continue to offer such fantastic service and prices. I wish he was closer, but I have nothing bad to say at all about my dealings with him to this point! I've never said that about any dealer/dealership!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you were a member of Tread Lightly and got the 1% below invoice benefit, would that dealer have to honor it? Seems like they would? This is a general question for all, not directed just to you.

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
So if you were a member of Tread Lightly and got the 1% below invoice benefit, would that dealer have to honor it? Seems like they would? This is a general question for all, not directed just to you.
NO. There is a stipulation that states participating dealers only. That is an out for dealerships that put greed at the forefront.

mophead

Reaction score
They will gladly use incentives as long as you are qualified. It isn't coming out of their pocket and it helps make the sale for them.

The first price they quoted included incentives. I asked for the price of the truck without and MSRP was the answer. They were offering no dealer discounts, full MSRP, don't want to talk about invoice at all. They only had about 12 Rams on the lot, all out at the street. The lot was empty otherwise. I guess you can't blame them. Some knucklehead will come in and pay full price and maybe much more. They only have so many to sell and no idea when more are coming. I'm bummed because I've been pretty close but just couldn't pull the trigger until the dollars lined up just right. This was pretty much my last shot, at least for the duration of this seller's market. Good news is I should be in a much better shape to order one, just hope it isn't a real long wait.

I'd like to also give kudo's to Aaron. We tried to work an 11th hour deal at the end of April. He gave me a great price and fast accurate responses. I just couldn't commit. The dollars just weren't there. I hope to order from him when this all gets better.

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
They will gladly use incentives as long as you are qualified. It isn't coming out of their pocket and it helps make the sale for them.
While incentives/rebates are at no cost to dealership gross, the Tread Lightly is not an incentive, it’s supplier/affiliate pricing. When a consumer uses supplier/affiliate the dealership is obligated to take a set profit from the manufacture, that set profit is less than what the dealership would gross at MSRP. In normal times this is absolutely no issue, anything to move vehicles. But in today’s market, dealerships are looking to absolutely maximize the gross on each and every unit they have. Sucks, but there it is.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The first price they quoted included incentives. I asked for the price of the truck without and MSRP was the answer. They were offering no dealer discounts, full MSRP, don't want to talk about invoice at all. They only had about 12 Rams on the lot, all out at the street. The lot was empty otherwise. I guess you can't blame them. Some knucklehead will come in and pay full price and maybe much more. They only have so many to sell and no idea when more are coming. I'm bummed because I've been pretty close but just couldn't pull the trigger until the dollars lined up just right. This was pretty much my last shot, at least for the duration of this seller's market. Good news is I should be in a much better shape to order one, just hope it isn't a real long wait.

I'd like to also give kudo's to Aaron. We tried to work an 11th hour deal at the end of April. He gave me a great price and fast accurate responses. I just couldn't commit. The dollars just weren't there. I hope to order from him when this all gets better.
Well I hear you’re a “straight shooter” so upwards of +12% MSRP is no issue right? Haha
Hopefully you’ll dig up some gold instead of rocks but I think it might be time to change your signature to a ‘22 instead of a ‘21, especially if you’re resigned to ordering.

21_Tank

Reaction score
I've used Tread Lightly on 2 separate purchases in 2 different years. Each dealership gladly applied the code I gave them because the 1% is absorbed by FCA/Stellantis. I actually negotiated a crazy deal on my 21 factory ordered Built to Serve Tank. Got it for invoice, and -1% Tread Lightly discount, plus any incentives/rebates valid at time of delivery. Luckily my truck arrived 3/27, during Ram Truck Month.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I traded my 2020 Laramie sport in on a 2021 2500 longhorn yesterday. They gave me what I paid for my truck in September 2019 which was $49,000 and change. They also came of the sticker price of theirs $2700. Also got 2.7 for interest rate. I thought I did pretty good considering that is the only 2500 that the dealer had and only had four or five 1500s. My Laramie only had 6600 miles on it so they were really wanting it.

mophead

Reaction score
Well I hear you’re a “straight shooter” so upwards of +12% MSRP is no issue right? Haha
Hopefully you’ll dig up some gold instead of rocks but I think it might be time to change your signature to a ‘22 instead of a ‘21, especially if you’re resigned to ordering.
I'm a little bit flexible. Minimum premium lights, BH 2, Hemi no Etorq, limited slip, 4x4 and quad. The premium lights is the separator at the BH level and very few Laramie quads. A few overloaded w/ sunroof, trailer and more, but too much money and not what I want. I'll patiently wait, grrrr!

Users who are viewing this thread