5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the moment, I’m like a kid in a candy store that cant make up his mind. I originally wanted the ram box and MFT, but after reading a lot on here the ram boxes have alignment issues and are one of the only reasons I needed to build rather than buy off the lot, I also was looking for the trailer backup assist but Aaron tells me that is currently not available on any trim levels, so I’m wondering if ordering is the best way to go when I don’t know when the used prices will go back to normal. Also getting some numbers on Sierra’s but I can’t find a forum as helpful as this one to find out what a reasonable discount is on that truck, there is a GMC dealer 4 minutes from my house if I have any issues, Ram dealers are about 40 min away. I simultaneously love and hate the vehicle buying process. lol

I'm with ya, I always love and hate this process...although I have to say this time has been unusual if nothing else. I had been looking at the used market for over a year before I ended up ordering last month. In the beginning I could find used trucks I would consider buying in the $45-50k range, which I still wanted to see come a little lower. That never happened, it got gradually worse until that same market was around $50-55k and up for the same approximate year/mileage and trim level trucks I looked at the year before. I'm glad I ordered when I did but at this point it still isn't guaranteeing me anything. It's all a crapshoot right now for what the right decision is, but if I can get my truck in the next month of two I will be happy to have my next 2-3 years covered at least.

I used to be solely a GM guy but haven't been in that world much lately (still have a 66 Buick though), I know they typically deal a little on those but I don't think as much as Ram. During current times, they may not be dealing at all though, and it seems like many Ram dealers are not dealing much either currently. I've heard lots of "not selling under MSRP" talk lately around here.

Oh and out of all of the fancy things on my order, I'm most looking forward to the MFT. I've wanted that ever since I saw it as a prototype and can't wait to start using it!

WReckeR

Reaction score
My Rebel had an MSRP of 74k . The dealer had a couple Rebels that were identical to each other . I waited until November when they were getting the 2020’s in . They had the price reduced to 54k and I talked them down to 51k plus tax . This is Canadian prices .
31% off MSRP? Unreal.

SoCal Thor

Reaction score
For my first post I have to say a big thank you to everyone. I finished the deal on a Laramie yesterday and now I just have to wait to get it shipped from Louisiana to San Diego. After reading all the information and tips from everyone, I reached out to Aaron with Mark Dodge in Lake Charles LA. After completely striking out in Southern California with dealers refusing to move off MSRP... "high demand, I'm selling tons of these trucks, we're moving them at MSRP that's the deal" Aaron made life easy. I ended up about 16% below MSRP and got exactly what I wanted off their lot. Thanks again for the pool of knowledge, I look forward to spending more time in here as I learn the in and outs of my new truck.

Redrockess

Reaction score
We found a RAM 1500 eco-diesel yesterday where the original buyer had custom ordered and changed his mind after it arrived. MSRP $59,155. The affiliate pricing wasn't as good as what we got via TrueCar. Used 0 percent financing, but had an additional $1,000 off code from TrueCar & did get the California Resident rebate & Chrysler Financial ones. Got the price down to $50,900. Pretty happy with it. It had stuff my husband didn't even think he'd want, like the air bags and the bed utility group, and after driving it he liked the feel. It was the only longbed with the trailer towing package we could find. I wanted the safety package it had. The only downside is that it's bright white. (Why would you custom order and get white?). Filling out the form now for Bonus Drive, that money will go to buying some aftermarket stuff. They also let me use my Amex for the down payment and I get extra miles and perks for that. Finance had a $1,000 coupon from Chrysler financial for extended warranty & Synchronize Alarm/tracking (better than Lo-Jack). Turned down the extended warranty & basically got the $995 Synchronize for free. Now I just need to find some decent aftermarket running boards or steps and some other customizations so it doesn't look like a contractor truck. Hoblit in Woodland, California. Very non-stress laid back place.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I recently traded a 2019 Jeep Wrangler in on a new 2021 Ram 1500 Lone Star. I realize the deck is stacked against us when dealing with a dealer. Anyhow, I got what I considered a good deal on the new Ram. My negation was my trade. The dealer showed me the best deal, which was very good. I whipped out my buy offer for my Jeep from CarMax, which was considerably better than offered trade. The dealer met the CarMax quote. Life is good. Jeep Wrangler resale and availability is crazy right now. I checked back a couple of days later and the dealer has my two year old Wrangler listed for more than original MSRP. At the end of the day, the dealer gave me a 2021 Ram + $74 for my 2019 Wrangler Sport.

Last edited:

OtterRam

Reaction score
Hi Guys, new to the forum and have been lurking and trying to learn. I am in the market for a new Ram 1500 Laramie or possibly a Limited and would like your advice for how much I should be able to negotiate below sticker price. My local dealer has a Lamarie Sport with MSRP just below $57,000.00. I like the truck, but it is the minimum in options that I would want to have and I have a friend that works at the dealership and he tells me they are not discounting from MSRP very much now because of the supply shortage. I have a 2007 F150 Lariat I bought new that has 254k miles on it, still looks close to new for trade. I can sell my trade here local really fast no problem, I do not have to trade to get the new truck.

I see some have posted about a dealer in Lake Charles, LA with good deals. I live in Kentucky but I have a work trip planned for week after next and will be driving a rental car right through there and could drive the truck back home. Please let me know your best advice, I have financing secured already for 1.9% or I can also take teh 0% from Chrysler if that works out best.

We have gotten a few trucks from a place in Paris Kentucky called Dan Cummings ( I think that was the name ), they have always seemed very fair on trade ins and new vehicles. Although this was in 2019 and 2020, who knows with the craziness that is 2021 and Truck Pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JdSunrise

Reaction score
Posting my deal on an ordered RAM 1500 now that it is signed. I'll quote this post in June/July if for some reason rebates swing in a different direction. This is with Mark Dodge
  1. MSRP: $76,200 (Link to Build)
  2. Invoice: $69,892
  3. Incentives: FCA Affiliates, RAM Email Code (-$1000), Chrysler Capital (-$500). No sales tax in New Hampshire.
  4. $219 in Dealer Fees
  5. OTD - $63,475
  6. % off MSRP = 16.7%
  7. $ off MSRP = $12,725
While this is not an official reporting factor, I consider the $3931 in savings I'm financing with 0% interest at Chrysler Capital versus 2.4% at my local credit union to be a very under-rated incentive that people should consider. If you're going to finance at like 84 months at 2.5%-3% interest in April, you're going to save some serious cash taking advantage of 0%. I hear a credit score above 700 with a mix of income to debt ratio is necessary. This calculator can be helpful - https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/car-loan-calculator

Huge shout out to Mark Dodge. My pool was roughly 5-6 dealers, many from this forum and a few locals. This price was a full $1500 cheaper than anyone else from the very first contact a month ago and zero hassle or pressuring in the last 4 weeks to move forward. When I was ready to move forward, the purchase & sale agreement I got within 30 minutes in addition to the lock-in on the promotions.

Looking at SilentBob's 1st post on the 'best price' thread:

....I didn't do very well but I think I would have gotten close to 20% during "Employee Pricing for All or another October - December time frame but with current truck climate, I'm very happy with my deal and that's all that matters. I would even go as far as to say if you exclude Big Horns, the last 12 months of % off may be slightly lower than it used to be where 17% is now 'great' instead of 19%+
Agreed, good job!

JdSunrise

Reaction score
Just placed an order with Aaron for a Limited EcoDiesel. He said it could be 10-15 weeks. Also couldn't get the trailer tow package. Not a big loss, the trailer brake controller is still available. Now the wait begins.
I’m on the fence of waiting for July incentive and the 2022..... damn such a hard call

JdSunrise

Reaction score
Got the actual numbers. I killed the estimate.

My estimate.
Your build sticker price is $57,225
Targeting 20% off sticker
Dealership discount $7445
Rebate $3000
Penfed rebate $1000
= 20% off or $11445 total discount
Truck cost $45780

Actual MSRP $57,000
Targeting 20% off sticker
Mark CDJR discount $7264
Rebate $3000
PenFed rebate $1000
= roughly 20.1% or $11,264 total discount
Truck cost $45736

My Nephew is thrilled!!
What has a 3k rebate??? I Laramies it’s only 1k.... the bighorn has 3k?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m on the fence of waiting for July incentive and the 2022..... damn such a hard call
Aaron said we'd take the better of the incentives between when I ordered ($1250 + $1000 email promo) and when it arrives. I don't know what to expect for incentives in July/August. On waiting for the 2022, I began to get the impression from this board that the chip shortage would continue and we'd probably not see Uconnect 5, which was the only reason I thought about waiting.

Right now, I'm at about 17.25% of MSRP (I also had Tread Lightly) which is far better than I'd do locally. I know others here to better, but I'm happy.

I was surprised to learn that the email promo they send out applies to ordered vehicles. I just mentioned that I hoped I'd get another one when it arrives. He looked me up by email address and applied it to the order.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat...I may be waiting until the 22s come out or if (but probably not) incentives start to get better....I think the chip shortage will continue to hammer the industry through at least the end of this year

7amada

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me know what you think. Trying to make up my mind.

I have been looking for a 2021 BTS in Anvil for a few weeks to take advantage of the 0% financing this month.

I found only one dealer that still has a couple of sale, BUT they are selling at MSRP. No discount what so ever and seems not willing to move or lower the price any.

So the two deals on the table are as follows
0% with 84 month. = MSRP
0% with 72 month = MSRP - $2500 in incentives and a coupon

Any advice is appreciated.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, let me know what you think. Trying to make up my mind.

I have been looking for a 2021 BTS in Anvil for a few weeks to take advantage of the 0% financing this month.

I found only one dealer that still has a couple of sale, BUT they are selling at MSRP. No discount what so ever and seems not willing to move or lower the price any.

So the two deals on the table are as follows
0% with 84 month. = MSRP
0% with 72 month = MSRP - $2500 in incentives and a coupon

Any advice is appreciated.
It really is a personal decision; is BTS critical to have for you, or would you be happy with a comparable Big Horn? If the latter, you can do significantly better than $2,500 off.

But between those two deals in the table, take the 72 months and $2,500. If you financed $30,000 for 84 months, your payments would be $357.14/month. $27,500 for 72 months is $381.94, less than an extra $25/month. You pay off the loan a year earlier, and save $2,500. If $25 a month is the line between affording the truck and not, buying probably isn’t the prudent thing to do right now.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay MSRP minus $2,500, but it’s what’s important to you that matters.

Last edited:

7amada

Reaction score
It really is a personal decision; is BTS critical to have for you, or would you be happy with a comparable Big Horn? If the latter, you can do significantly better than $2,500 off.

But between those two deals in the table, take the 72 months and $2,500. If you financed $30,000 for 84 months, your payments would be $357.14/month. $27,500 for 72 months is $381.94, less than an extra $25/month. You pay off the loan a year earlier, and save $2,500. If $25 a month is the line between affording the truck and not, buying probably isn’t the prudent thing to do right now.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay MSRP minus $2,500, but it’s what’s important to you that matters.
It is not so much the BTS package that I want as the color. Anvil color in these trucks looks fantastic. Plus it is limited so will always be that added value down the road especially since it is associated with the launch edition TRX.

A 1500 BTS in any other color is probably 5-6K less.

decisions decisions ...

tlewis24

Reaction score
21 Laramie Night Edition 25H (non eTorque)
MSRP: $65,775
Came in with my own financing at 2.49%
Pre-Final OTD (before TTL): $54,500 or ~17.5% off MSRP

Played with the number for 0% financing instead, lose ~$2,300 in incentive and finished out at 56K 0% or ~15% off MSRP
I don't think that's how you exactly count % off MSRP but how I was comparing to other experiences on here.
Could be better/worse, overall happy with the outfitted options and deal.

bullola

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2020 Limited Ecodiesel 4x2, dealer demo with 1100 miles
MSRP: 66,870
Advertised price: 52,325 (21.75% discount)
How much further should I try to get them to go? Should I aim for a 24-25% dealer discount because of the model year, demo, lack of rebates/incentives? Will FCA allow 0% on a year old model?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the number for Chrysler incentives? I looked in Bob's thread and didn't find it listed.

I have a dealer that last week said it was possible to lock in APR or incentives. This week he is saying they will only lock incentives. I showed them the thread that talks about the program and he said it was "misleading." I say he is BSing me.

Edit:
The Incentives phone number is: 1-800-227-0757. I called the main customer service number and got it from there.

They looked up the 0% for 72 months incentive on 1500 Limited based on my zip code. The code is 20AM1C. They said that in their system it does say that this program/incentive can be "sold order" protected. The $500 Chrysler Capital code 20CM5 that goes concurrent with 20AM1C can also be sold order protected, they said.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online