5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2020 Limited Ecodiesel 4x2, dealer demo with 1100 miles
MSRP: 66,870
Advertised price: 52,325 (21.75% discount)
How much further should I try to get them to go? Should I aim for a 24-25% dealer discount because of the model year, demo, lack of rebates/incentives? Will FCA allow 0% on a year old model?

I would take that deal for sure.

Runagun

Reaction score
How much further should I try to get them to go? Should I aim for a 24-25% dealer discount because of the model year, demo, lack of rebates/incentives? Will FCA allow 0% on a year old model?
I'd ask for way more off. Maybe cause I'm frugle. But Your already down a year on depreciation.

mophead

Reaction score
Run the VIN thru Carvana and Edmunds. Might be worth a whole lot more than they're asking. At least you'll have a better idea.

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
What is the number for Chrysler incentives? I looked in Bob's thread and didn't find it listed.

I have a dealer that last week said it was possible to lock in APR or incentives. This week he is saying they will only lock incentives. I showed them the thread that talks about the program and he said it was "misleading." I say he is BSing me.

Edit:
The Incentives phone number is: 1-800-227-0757. I called the main customer service number and got it from there.

They looked up the 0% for 72 months incentive on 1500 Limited based on my zip code. The code is 20AM1C. They said that in their system it does say that this program/incentive can be "sold order" protected. The $500 Chrysler Capital code 20CM5 that goes concurrent with 20AM1C can also be sold order protected, they said.
That dealership knows exactly how the system works. It is in their own self interest to play dumb and be certain that you do not get the 0% financing. If a customer gets the 0% subvented rate, that is a killer for the dealerships F&I back end gross. It is pretty standard that dealerships will add 2% to whatever interest rate the customer qualified at. That is why dealerships are so adamant about having consumers finance through their F&I.

Runagun

Reaction score
Run the VIN thru Carvana and Edmunds. Might be worth a whole lot more than they're asking. At least you'll have a better idea.
I think your running with the idea these used prices are going to stay high. Which no one knows what will happen in 2 years. Cause then his truck will be 3 years old compared if he got a '21. Plus many are getting 15k off msrp from mark off limiteds as of last month. Makes no sense to me. If the dealer would sell it for 40k. Then I'd jump on it.

rbundy84

Reaction score
21 Laramie Night Edition 25H (non eTorque)
MSRP: $65,775
Came in with my own financing at 2.49%
Pre-Final OTD (before TTL): $54,500 or ~17.5% off MSRP

Played with the number for 0% financing instead, lose ~$2,300 in incentive and finished out at 56K 0% or ~15% off MSRP
I don't think that's how you exactly count % off MSRP but how I was comparing to other experiences on here.
Could be better/worse, overall happy with the outfitted options and deal.
I would be very happy with that deal given the current circumstances - congrats!

rbundy84

Reaction score
Bubble starting to pop?

My 2014 Equinox went down $800 this week on Carvana (but to be fair is still overvalued by $1500-$2000 IMO)

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bubble starting to pop?

My 2014 Equinox went down $800 this week on Carvana (but to be fair is still overvalued by $1500-$2000 IMO)

Every zip code, make and model is different but I've found if you wait long enough, they'll start tempting you with higher prices. They want your car..they also want to get it as cheap as they can from you. I have 4 cars I regularly, as in every week update prices on from Carvana, CarMax, automation and Vroom and they vary by 500-1000 every week. I started keeping track and sold 2 of them separately to two different services. I could wait them out..it took about 3 months to get the prices I was looking for.

(off topic, sorry mods) but they wanted my 288,000 mile 2015 Ford Escape so badly, they started at $500, then kept increasing the price and finally paid $1800 for it and they (Vroom) had a truck drive 160 miles from Boston to northern New Hampshire JUST to get my car so Vroom paid me $1650, paid the drive $400 maybe and then they'll send it right to auction and will likely lose money. I called every dealer within a 50 mile radius, no one wanted it. listed it for $2,000 on the local wants, no bites. I felt like I won on that deal.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd ask for way more off. Maybe cause I'm frugle. But Your already down a year on depreciation.

Not if trucks are getting scarce and new are being sold at MSRP. Chevy and Ram dealers near me are parking cars sideways on the lot to make it look like they have more inventory than they do

Runagun

Reaction score
Not if trucks are getting scarce and new are being sold at MSRP. Chevy and Ram dealers near me are parking cars sideways on the lot to make it look like they have more inventory than they do
Yeah, I agree. But it's a period in time. Things will lighten up and start flowing again. For someone that needs a truck right now. Still deals to be had. Just harder to find if you don't know where to look.

mophead

Reaction score
I think your running with the idea these used prices are going to stay high. Which no one knows what will happen in 2 years. Cause then his truck will be 3 years old compared if he got a '21. Plus many are getting 15k off msrp from mark off limiteds as of last month. Makes no sense to me. If the dealer would sell it for 40k. Then I'd jump on it.
No, what I was actually saying is that may give you some idea of whether that was a good price today. Although I didn't imply it I was also considering whether there may be enough of a delta to buy it and sell for a profit. I would assume the dealer would know that but maybe they have overhead factors giving them incentives to sell it now if someone is interested??? We don't know.

As far as value in two years, if you buy it at the right price that will wash fine. IMO 21.75 sounds a bit low. I would quote them the exact number for 25% off (not I want 25% off) and take it from there. Why it's called haggle. I can't imagine you'll get near 40k but I'm no pro negotiator. That's why I'd see what market value TODAY is. We are coming down to the end of the month. Things could change drastically May 1st, either way ↨

Nobody knows where the market is gonna be 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months from now. Figuring 2 years out... may as well play pin the tail on the donkey.

Last edited:

mophead

Reaction score
Every zip code, make and model is different but I've found if you wait long enough, they'll start tempting you with higher prices. They want your car..they also want to get it as cheap as they can from you. I have 4 cars I regularly, as in every week update prices on from Carvana, CarMax, automation and Vroom and they vary by 500-1000 every week. I started keeping track and sold 2 of them separately to two different services. I could wait them out..it took about 3 months to get the prices I was looking for.

(off topic, sorry mods) but they wanted my 288,000 mile 2015 Ford Escape so badly, they started at $500, then kept increasing the price and finally paid $1800 for it and they (Vroom) had a truck drive 160 miles from Boston to northern New Hampshire JUST to get my car so Vroom paid me $1650, paid the drive $400 maybe and then they'll send it right to auction and will likely lose money. I called every dealer within a 50 mile radius, no one wanted it. listed it for $2,000 on the local wants, no bites. I felt like I won on that deal.
Glad you got a lb of flesh outta their backsides. I sure am hoping I do too. Paybacks are hell! LOL My Mazda 6 is still going up. Thank goodness!

mophead

Reaction score
Just saw a MARONEY sticker with a $2295 price for the Hemi (non ET) on a BH. $500 increase. No idea what the build date was.

Ever notice how many times they show a door jamb pic of the GVW rating sticker, but never the build date, LOL!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw a MARONEY sticker with a $2295 price for the Hemi (non ET) on a BH. $500 increase. No idea what the build date was.

Ever notice how many times they show a door jamb pic of the GVW rating sticker, but never the build date, LOL!

Build date should be at the bottom of the maroney in small print, would have the day and month shown as 1124, for November 24, for example.

That is odd though, I believe that's the most expensive I've seen the hemi listed.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Look at this truck and pull the sticker. Just above the barcode lower left is 1203. That is build date (Dec 3).

I have been seeing that $500 price increase on recent builds, too. One reason I am ordering a Limited, probably tomorrow.

mophead

Reaction score
Look at this truck and pull the sticker. Just above the barcode lower left is 1203. That is build date (Dec 3).

I have been seeing that $500 price increase on recent builds, too. One reason I am ordering a Limited, probably tomorrow.
0411-0 ... April 4th?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Baxter and Woodhouse were the same with me. Neither would budge, answer questions, or give me straight answers. Baxter had a bunch of Limiteds for $15k off and I inquired on the last one but they sold it. They had another identical limited purchased at the same time, so must have been a bulk order, but they had that at only 10k off and would budge. Then found out it's a demo car with 5000 miles and they'd only "maybe" come down $500. No thanks, so I walked.

. I just got everything finalized with Jeff Belzer outside Minneapolis and they did everything they said they would. The pricing on their site is what I'm paying. It even dropped $200 after I started the deal and they honored it, no questions asked. They even use a titling company to deal with Nebraska taxes and that fee is only $134. Very reasonable considering how bad it is to figure out what Nebraska wants. Even their doc fees were half of Baxter and Woodhouse. Either way, a 6.5 hour drive to save over $2k is worth it for me. At this point I'd highly recommend them

I just saw they still have a new 2019 Longhorn pretty decked out with the 5.7 going for $47,316 with MSRP of $62,955. That's really tempting, but I drive highway everyday so the diesel is more practical.

https://www.jeffbelzer.com/new-Lakeville-2019-RAM-1500-Laramie+Longhorn-1C6SRFKT5KN830902
Is this dealer legit? About 4 hours away and thousands less than one I was about to order with an hour away.

Users who are viewing this thread