5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

wright0315

Reaction score
After telling my dealer multiple times that it was possible to lock in the 0%, they finally told me that they were on the phone for “several hours” today and “it turns out we can lock in the 0% rate” and he told me just so I understood, I do not get any rebates if I get the 0% locked in.

I asked them if I had to come in to fill anything out to get it locked in and he said “No all we had to do was check a box on our system called sold order protection and we are all good now.”

My question is, is there an incentive to not do the 0% financing for the dealer? I found it really weird that I have been asking them to do this for 3 weeks now because I knew from reading the forums here that I could lock it in and then all of the sudden they tell me that all they had to do was “check a box in their system”. How could they not know that if it were that simple? Were they trying to see if that promotion would run out here because they have more incentive to not have the customer finance with 0%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mophead

Reaction score
After telling my dealer multiple times that it was possible to lock in the 0%, they finally told me that they were on the phone for “several hours” today and “it turns out we can lock in the 0% rate” and he told me just so I understood, I do not get any rebates if I get the 0% locked in.

I asked them if I had to come in to fill anything out to get it locked in and he said “No all we had to do was check a box on our system called sold order protection and we are all good now.”

My question is, is there an incentive to not do the 0% financing for the dealer? I found it really weird that I have been asking them to do this for 3 weeks now because I knew from reading the forums here that I could lock it in and then all of the sudden they tell me that all they had to do was “check a box in their system”. How could they not know that if it were that simple? Were they trying to see if that promotion would run out here because they have more incentive to not have the customer finance with 0%?

I'm betting we're 2 days away from major changes. Eldodroptop has it right. This is costing the dealers. They're prolly screaming to lose the 0%

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just guessing, but most likely they are like most dealers and are full of ****. Sad that there are so few good dealerships, and the remainder are varying levels of awful.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I'm betting we're 2 days away from major changes. Eldodroptop has it right. This is costing the dealers. They're prolly screaming to lose the 0%
5/3 is when most incentives are good through...I am banking on May rebates/incentives to be worse than April as inventory is WAY down

chuck01835

Reaction score

Dealing with Aaron Ginsburgh from Mark Dodge who is on the up and up, he had me sign a form during the order showing the incentives I chose including 0% financing AND $500 Chrysler Capital rebate. This is sold order protected and i have the choice to substitute for incentives available at delivery.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Well for one, with 0%, dealers can't add their 1-2% rate increase kickback

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had a similar experience today. After I told the dealer I've been working with that I called the Chrysler Incentives line, and they said the 0% for 72 and it's stackable $500 is "sold order protected", he changed his tune. The Incentives line looked up the specific rebate codes for my zip code and trim level, verified they were sold order protected and stackable, and told them to me. I now have in writing from the dealer that the 0% and $500 are protected.

Incentives are different throughout the country. But if you go on ramtrucks.com and it shows 0% plus $500 (as it does in my region), then you should be able to lock in all the incentives (APR and any stackable rebates). In my region right now it is either $1750 rebates on a Limited, or 0% plus $500 rebate.

I am looking to buy tomorrow or Friday. The current incentives are good through Monday, though (May 3).

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so looking to order a Limited in the next few days. Should take delivery in about 8 to 10 weeks.

I have also been looking to start a small business on the side late this year or early next year (office and industrial ergonomics consulting - I have a Ph.D. in Biomechanics and will soon have a M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering that I did for fun and in case I want to get out of academia).

My question is: what are the tax advantages to buying "for the business?" Do I need to buy at the onset under the business name, or it is something where I just write off the use of it as a business expense once I establish the LLC? No idea about any of this so any help welcome.

Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so looking to order a Limited in the next few days. Should take delivery in about 8 to 10 weeks.

I have also been looking to start a small business on the side late this year or early next year (office and industrial ergonomics consulting - I have a Ph.D. in Biomechanics and will soon have a M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering that I did for fun and in case I want to get out of academia).

My question is: what are the tax advantages to buying "for the business?" Do I need to buy at the onset under the business name, or it is something where I just write off the use of it as a business expense once I establish the LLC? No idea about any of this so any help welcome.

1. 5 minutes on the phone with the RAM Incentives line will save people a lot of money. It's a worthwhile call as you found
2. 8-10 week ETA on a custom order? What we're seeing currently is 12-15 weeks. Just keep that in mind and while you'd think RAM would fill pricy truck orders faster, due to chip shortages, it seems like Limiteds are taking longer. Just an FYI
3. For business write-offs, it varies by state / profession so probably best for your accountant. Similar to RAM Chat, a 15 minute chat with a CPA could save you thousands.

BowDown

Reaction score

Be careful with that, the business savings were only an additional $500 rebate (in july 2020) BUT the insurance increase because you're now insuring a business vehicle (commercial policy) wiped out the purchase savings 3 fold.
My insurance was going to be a little over twice the non business rate for a commercial vehicle. I'd not do it, there were no other advantages. You can still depreciate or write off the vehicle without buying it in a business name provided you have 1 other vehicle to drive in the household; you can also use the mileage deduction which usually is a bigger deduction for me. My CPA is depreciating the truck over 5 years along with the mileage deduction

Last edited:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be careful with that, the business savings were only an additional $500 rebate (in july 2020) BUT the insurance increase because you're now insuring a business vehicle (commercial policy) wiped out the purchase savings 3 fold.
My insurance was going to be a little over twice the non business rate for a commercial vehicle. I'd not do it, there were no other advantages

You couldn't write off any of the expense of the truck off of your taxes? I thought that was supposed to be the main benefit of buying a vehicle under a business.

applesauce683

Reaction score
+1 for Aaron at Mark Dodge. Super quick, no games, no negotiating. I live within 1 hour of Koons and Criswell in Maryland yet they were not easy to deal with, higher prices, and would not lock in incentives or 0% financing, also Koons said there was a waitlist to order and no date of when they could submit order. No thanks!

2021 Limited Factory Order
MSRP: $72,640
Sale price including all fees and rebates: $61,590
15.2% off MSRP
0% for 72 months

Rebates were $500 Chrysler Finance, $500 Truecar, $500 Tread Lightly. Maybe I get a RAM coupon in the mail before delivery.

Nova90

Reaction score
+1 for Aaron at Mark Dodge. Super quick, no games, no negotiating. I live within 1 hour of Koons and Criswell in Maryland yet they were not easy to deal with, higher prices, and would not lock in incentives or 0% financing, also Koons said there was a waitlist to order and no date of when they could submit order. No thanks!

2021 Limited Factory Order
MSRP: $72,640
Sale price including all fees and rebates: $61,590
15.2% off MSRP
0% for 72 months

Rebates were $500 Chrysler Finance, $500 Truecar, $500 Tread Lightly. Maybe I get a RAM coupon in the mail before delivery.
Congratulations. It amazes me that those 2 dealers are forum sponsors yet so many people (including me) have the same experience & end up buying all the way across the country. Obviously, they are not in it to move volume. Seems like a missed opportunity.

lkjk

Reaction score
For federal taxes I believe it's kind of tricky to own a vehicle that does double duty as a personal vehicle, I think leases you can write off 100% and are not as scrutinized. There are some loopholes with trucks over 6k lbs I believe where there's an exemption that you can write off 100% of the purchase price if you own it (think HD or 1-ton trucks).

When I say tricky, i mean if you ever get audited it's likely to be enough of a headache where it's not worth trying to deduct it vs leasing or buying a bigger truck.

triton

Reaction score
I also would recommend that people reach out to Aaron at Mark Dodge.
Not including any incentives and including the cost of shipping to the north east. His quote on a RAM 2500 was thousands below my local dealers.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone working with Aaron at Mark Dodge had their truck shipped to them, but also had a trade-in? Part of me wants to meet and thank him in person for such a no-nonsense, easy transaction, but it is 900 miles each way (probably in August) and I might consider having it shipped if that can be done with a trade-in.

Just as a note, his trade offer on my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel was higher than Carvana, etc... even after he added 5K miles to my odometer, figuring that would be the mileage when the truck arrives.

BowDown

Reaction score
You couldn't write off any of the expense of the truck off of your taxes? I thought that was supposed to be the main benefit of buying a vehicle under a business.

I still can without it being bought by the business provided I have another vehicle to drive for personal use which I do, that's the only difference. If it were a business bought vehicle, Id have the same restriction.
Being that I'm self employed and technically always working I use my truck as I want so that's really no impact for me.

BowDown

Reaction score
For federal taxes I believe it's kind of tricky to own a vehicle that does double duty as a personal vehicle, I think leases you can write off 100% and are not as scrutinized. There are some loopholes with trucks over 6k lbs I believe where there's an exemption that you can write off 100% of the purchase price if you own it (think HD or 1-ton trucks).

When I say tricky, i mean if you ever get audited it's likely to be enough of a headache where it's not worth trying to deduct it vs leasing or buying a bigger truck.

This is correct and why they ask (IRS) about a second vehicle for personal use.
For a SMB LLC or DBA, you're really always "on the clock" so always working but I'd make sure I had another vehicle incase of an audit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread