5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

mtehonica

Reaction score
Finalized my purchase through Aaron last night! DocuSigned all my documents. Too good of a deal to turn down and he just made it so easy. Was going to order but he ended up having the exact build I was looking for come in!

MSRP: $75,290
Sale Price: $64,140 (+$219 dealer fee)
Discounts: $3,000
% off MSRP: 18.5%

He was also $2k more on my trade than any other dealer, including Carvana/Vroom/CarMax.

Now to plan my road trip to take delivery on Monday!
:)

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If he's doing 0% for 72 months, all he'd get were the dealer discounts and no rebates so 11% off is about right. He maybe able to push 13% but he's not going to see 15+% off you'd normally expect if he takes the 0% financing
I was at 15.3% on mine with 0% financing, so I guess I just barely made the cut :p

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to the local dealership today to check out some features to finalize my order. I decided on a Delmonico Red Laramie with no eTorque, Level A, blind spot/cross path, 8" w/ navigation, BUG, wheel well liners, trailer brake, rear compartment storage. No MFT or Advanced Safety Group or large screen.

Last week the salesman said he could and had recently ordered Laramies with blind spot/cross traffic. Today when he tried to build it while I was sitting with him, it was grayed out as an option. He said a lot of options were grayed out, including Advanced Safety Group, and almost all the extra options were grayed out on Longhorn.

So, my options are: 1) wait until blind spot is available again, 2) look at a fairly bare-bones Limited (I would only get trailer brake added and maybe BUG). 3) keep what I have for now.

I would rather not have the 12" screen, and he thinks it (Limited) can be ordered with the wheel-to-wheel running boards instead of the automatic ones. But 12" is standard on Limited. I'm OK with 26 gal tank and it comes standard with the no ET HEMI.

So not sure if I should just wait, or look seriously at a Limited. I would hate to get a Limited, which is a bit more truck than I want or need, get it in July or early August, and then the MY22 come out in September with Uconnect5. But I can get a killer trade on my current truck right now. Decisions...
Unless you can find what you want already on a lot somewhere.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, I guess I should have tried negotiating with Aaron. Mine was $1,000 more for basically the same truck. But I also had half the discounts; though hopefully I will get a $1,000 off mailer in before July.

I didn’t negotiate actually. I did what I normally do, embody patience like a zen monk. First contact with Aaron was February, then March 1st then got figures 5th of March then said ”I’ll get back to you” and 3 times since then, he kept lowering the price without me asking for a lower price until it got to where I felt comfortable. So it was really a 30 day negotiation and I sent his price I was happy with to 3 dealers and no one could match it so I proceeded.

...not no one, the dealer Olson out of Washington state was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper but WA to NH is way too long of a drive to be fun, LA to NH is a little bit easier as it goes though the bourbon trail and Nashville.

I got 16.7% off MSRP + 0% interest locked in. Not sure whatever deals they have in June/July will equal the 5 grand I’m saving in Interest on a Limited.

Last edited:

fubar414

Reaction score
I got the truck for $64,490, with MSRP being $73,560 equating to 12.33%, which I was happy with until I saw I should be getting at least 18% off. Maybe because I took the 0% for 72 month deal...?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, I guess I should have tried negotiating with Aaron. Mine was $1,000 more for basically the same truck. But I also had half the discounts; though hopefully I will get a $1,000 off mailer in before July.
Sign up for a PenFed account for $1000 off. Need to wait 60 days before you can get the code.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts on what will hold value better...

1. An approx $60k MSRP Laramie (pretty well optioned)
2. An approx $63k MSRP Limited? (Stripper model with only about $1000 of add ons)

Would have to wait until blind spot was on Laramie again if that route. Laramie has $1250 rebates now plus 0 for 72, Limited is $500 with 0 pct. About $65 or $70 difference in payment (would have to look at my spreadsheet again to see exactly). Pricing before rebates is: invoice-$1500.

Last edited:

Bad Notch

Reaction score
I am very impressed -- this kind of reasoning leads to much happiness in life. You got a good deal, your dealer got a good deal, and the person who bought your BMW got at least a fair deal. Great attitude!
Thanks. It killed me to not get at least 15% off the Ram on paper but when I moved some numbers around in my head AND realized the buyer for the X5 could go away at any min and getting a Ram the way I want it was going to be next to impossible in the near future it was easier to squeeze the trigger.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t negotiate actually. I did what I normally do, embody patience like a zen monk. First contact with Aaron was February, then March 1st then got figures 5th of March then said ”I’ll get back to you” and 3 times since then, he kept lowering the price without me asking for a lower price until it got to where I felt comfortable. So it was really a 30 day negotiation and I sent his price I was happy with to 3 dealers and no one could match it so I proceeded.

...not no one, the dealer Olson out of Washington state was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper but WA to NH is way too long of a drive to be fun, LA to NH is a little bit easier as it goes though the bourbon trail and Nashville.

I got 16.7% off MSRP + 0% interest locked in. Not sure whatever deals they have in June/July will equal the 5 grand I’m saving in Interest on a Limited.
Yeah if we can't keep the 0% and use the other rebates from July then I have a feeling I'm just staying with what I have.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sign up for a PenFed account for $1000 off. Need to wait 60 days before you can get the code.
Working on that currently if they'll ever get back to me, but my wife has a $1,000 rebate through her work that I think is also True Car, so if they can't do both then I'm just stuck with a potential mailer I think.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

1. An approx $60k MSRP Laramie
2. An approx $63k MSRP Limited? (Stripper model with only about $1000 of add ons)

Laramie has $1250 rebates now plus 0 for 72, Limited is $500 with 0 pct. About $65 or $70 difference in payment (would have to look at my spreadsheet again to see exactly). Pricing before rebates is: invouce-$1500.

Higher trims typically hold value better than an optioned up lower trims.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Laramie has $1250 rebates now plus 0 for 72, Limited is $500 with 0 pct. About $65 or $70 difference in payment (would have to look at my spreadsheet again to see exactly). Pricing before rebates is: invouce-$1500.
A lot of the add-ons for the Laramie are standard on the Limited right? So even a base Limited should be fairly comparable to a Laramie? Maybe I'm wrong on that, I would need to go back and build a Laramie again. All things considered (or close), I would suspect that the Limited would hold value better than the Laramie.
But I keep my cars for a long time, 15 years for my first one and I'm only getting rid of it so I can have four doors for car seats. So I imagine I will have this truck for 20+ years (which is the only reason I could convince myself to spend the $$$$$$$$).

Bad Notch

Reaction score
I got the truck for $64,490, with MSRP being $73,560 equating to 12.33%, which I was happy with until I saw I should be getting at least 18% off. Maybe because I took the 0% for 72 month deal...?
My dealer said the 0% for 72 was worth $1250. Honestly, depending on the dealer and if you know exactly what you want and are getting it 12% might not be as bad as you think. Product shortage will be lasting for a long time and there are no current rebates ( low hanging fruit ) to take advantage of. My dealer basically said he is not dealing on product sitting on the lot. He would negotiate more on an order but it will be 3-4 months min before delivery at least. He is still waiting on orders from December 2020 to land... crazy times.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Would have to wait until blind spot was on Laramie again if that route. Laramie has $1250 rebates now plus 0 for 72, Limited is $500 with 0 pct. About $65 or $70 difference in payment (would have to look at my spreadsheet again to see exactly). Pricing before rebates is: invouce-$1500.

Invoice - $1,500 is leaving money on the table

$60k MSRP Laramie should be had for $52,000 plus rebates
((60,000 * 0.922) * 0.94)

$63k MSRP Limited should be had for $54,245 plus rebates
((63,000 * 0.916) * 0.94)

Using their current rebates ($1,250/$500) that would put the difference at $2,995 / 72 months = $41.56/month

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Invoice - $1,500 is leaving money on the table

$60k MSRP Laramie should be had for $52,000 plus rebates
((60,000 * 0.922) * 0.94)

$63k MSRP Limited should be had for $54,245 plus rebates
((63,000 * 0.916) * 0.94)

Using their current rebates ($1,250/$500) that would put the difference at $2,995 / 72 months = $41.56/month

For the purchase price alone, yeah that leaves a bit on the table. A page or so back in this thread I talk about the whole package: Carvana trade and buying from Phillip and shipping vs going local. Local is about $1200 worse, not including shipping which more than eats that up. Losing the tax benefit by not trading is over $2500. This is the best local deal, most are well over invoice and thousands less on trade.

Anyway... any input on if a basic Limited will hold better vs a well equipped Laramie? Or not? What I am asking basically is... there is a $3750 (approx) difference in price with rebate. Say after 5 years, would the Limited be likely to be worth >$3750 compared to the Laramie?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the purchase price alone, yeah that leaves a bit on the table. A page or so back in this thread I talk about the whole package: Carvana trade and buying from Phillip and shipping vs going local. Local is about $1200 worse, not including shipping. Losing the tax benefit by not trading is over $2500.

Anyway... any input on if a basic Limited will hold better vs a well equipped Laramie? Or not? What I am asking basically is... there is a $3750 (approx) difference in price with rebate. Say after 5 years, would the Limited be likely to be worth >$3750 compared to the Laramie?

Price out a pair of comparable used optioned up Laramie vs basic Limited from 2016 in KBB, NADA, etc and see where the numbers fall.

fubar414

Reaction score
My dealer said the 0% for 72 was worth $1250. Honestly, depending on the dealer and if you know exactly what you want and are getting it 12% might not be as bad as you think. Product shortage will be lasting for a long time and there are no current rebates ( low hanging fruit ) to take advantage of. My dealer basically said he is not dealing on product sitting on the lot. He would negotiate more on an order but it will be 3-4 months min before delivery at least. He is still waiting on orders from December 2020 to land... crazy times.
I got almost exactly what I want...the only things I missed out on was the protection package, ram box, and multifunction tailgate...all of which for me were nice to haves, not must haves.
And if the 0% is really worth $1,250, then I got 14% off...

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got almost exactly what I want...the only things I missed out on was the protection package, ram box, and multifunction tailgate...all of which for me were nice to haves, not must haves.
And if the 0% is really worth $1,250, then I got 14% off...
It's probably worth a lot more than that. For example, a loan for 72 months at 3.5% interest for $36,000 comes out to nearly $4,000 in interest. Of course this all depends on your particular variables, but for most people the 0% will be worth much more than$1250, unless I am mistaking what you guys are talking about. Or unless you are not financing very much.

Users who are viewing this thread