5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts on what will hold value better...

1. An approx $60k MSRP Laramie (pretty well optioned)
2. An approx $63k MSRP Limited? (Stripper model with only about $1000 of add ons)

Would have to wait until blind spot was on Laramie again if that route. Laramie has $1250 rebates now plus 0 for 72, Limited is $500 with 0 pct. About $65 or $70 difference in payment (would have to look at my spreadsheet again to see exactly). Pricing before rebates is: invoice-$1500.

Another anecdote is 3 dealers I spoke to when I was talking options back in December - March, all three agreed that between Panoramic Sunroof, MultiFunction Tailgate and Night Edition, that they all agreed the night edition would make the truck more desirable if I chose to sell it in 5 years. "everyone wants night edition and we can't keep them on the lot" It could be them just trying to sell me a pricier option but I decided to not do sunroof.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's probably worth a lot more than that. For example, a loan for 72 months at 3.5% interest for $36,000 comes out to nearly $4,000 in interest. Of course this all depends on your particular variables, but for most people the 0% will be worth much more than$1250, unless I am mistaking what you guys are talking about. Or unless you are not financing very much.

https://www.moneyunder30.com/auto-loan-calculator

You're right. If you do a 72 month loan and finance 60 grand at 2.39%, that's $4,464.48 in interest
Same cost at 54 months and 2.39% = $3,344.16 in interest

So it is definitely dependent on what you'll be financing for (total + term) and comparing it to today's interest rates with your lender. My truck's bill of sale is around $63,000 and thanks to 0%, I'm going to put next to nothing down if they'll let me and finance for 60 months. Meaning Chrysler Capital's 0% is worth $3,901.80 to me which exceeds today's rebates.

chuck01835

Reaction score
I didn’t negotiate actually. I did what I normally do, embody patience like a zen monk. First contact with Aaron was February, then March 1st then got figures 5th of March then said ”I’ll get back to you” and 3 times since then, he kept lowering the price without me asking for a lower price until it got to where I felt comfortable. So it was really a 30 day negotiation and I sent his price I was happy with to 3 dealers and no one could match it so I proceeded.

...not no one, the dealer Olson out of Washington state was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper but WA to NH is way too long of a drive to be fun, LA to NH is a little bit easier as it goes though the bourbon trail and Nashville.

I got 16.7% off MSRP + 0% interest locked in. Not sure whatever deals they have in June/July will equal the 5 grand I’m saving in Interest on a Limited.
Had the exact same situation as you, and got the same deal approx 16.7% off msrp with 0 % financing from Aaron. Philips deal was slightly better but too far away, as I live on the MA/NH border.

Both dealers were great to work with!

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Percentage off MSRP

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP including rebates and incentives. The total number you should be using to determine your percentage off should include the total (with rebates and incentives) before trade in, taxes, and any required government fees. Your number should include dealer add-ons you did not request and any dealer fees not listed on the factory invoice, document fees, prep fees, etc. You can use one of these two links to find the factory MSRP and invoice price of the truck and all options. LINK LINK

Keep in mind that some trim levels, typically Big Horn, often have much larger incentives allowing them to get into the larger percentage off.

Special financing, such as the current 0%, will also skew these numbers. Another way to calculate if you are getting a good deal is that you want 5% to 8% off the invoice price before incentives/rebates.

Try For More 14% to 15%
Good Discount 16% to 18%
Great Discount 19% to 23%
Amazingly Rare Discount 24% or more

Example

My best deal on a factory order was 19.17% off MSRP

14.76% off MSRP before rebates/incentives
19.17% off MSRP with $3250 rebates/incentives.
7.08% off Invoice before rebates/incentives
11.89% off Invoice with $3250 rebates/incentives.

Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the exact same situation as you, and got the same deal approx 16.7% off msrp with 0 % financing from Aaron. Philips deal was slightly better but too far away, as I live on the MA/NH border.

Nice, maybe I'll see you out on the road!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah we are all pretty close on order dates and deals I think. My exact deal was around 16.5% off with the 0% as well. Of course mine was also ordered through Aaron.

Somewhat same area of the country as you guys too in NY but closer to the PA border.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another anecdote is 3 dealers I spoke to when I was talking options back in December - March, all three agreed that between Panoramic Sunroof, MultiFunction Tailgate and Night Edition, that they all agreed the night edition would make the truck more desirable if I chose to sell it in 5 years. "everyone wants night edition and we can't keep them on the lot" It could be them just trying to sell me a pricier option but I decided to not do sunroof.

IDK, night edition seems like a fad that will pass with time, like body color wheels did. You can always night edition a truck, adding the sunroof or the tailgate is a "bit" more work. I wouldn't be surprised if night edition or blacked out is played out in 3 or so years which will be the inverse of what the dealer is saying/thinking now

BowDown

Reaction score
https://www.moneyunder30.com/auto-loan-calculator

You're right. If you do a 72 month loan and finance 60 grand at 2.39%, that's $4,464.48 in interest
Same cost at 54 months and 2.39% = $3,344.16 in interest

So it is definitely dependent on what you'll be financing for (total + term) and comparing it to today's interest rates with your lender. My truck's bill of sale is around $63,000 and thanks to 0%, I'm going to put next to nothing down if they'll let me and finance for 60 months. Meaning Chrysler Capital's 0% is worth $3,901.80 to me which exceeds today's rebates.

Thats a pretty smart way of looking at it, basically a 4K rebate that doesn't exist now

rbundy84

Reaction score
IDK, night edition seems like a fad that will pass with time, like body color wheels did. You can always night edition a truck, adding the sunroof or the tailgate is a "bit" more work. I wouldn't be surprised if night edition or blacked out is played out in 3 or so years which will be the inverse of what the dealer is saying/thinking now
Agree with this - I can always change out the wheels and trim....I can’t cut out a sunroof or make an MFT work

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I considered that. Sort of like cargo shorts. Once the dads catch on, it's over. 'blacking out' / "murdering" your car was pretty hot in the custom car scene in like 2010 and sort of hit critical mass in 2018 and then it seemed like Chevy/GM/RAM are finally doing it in 2020 which means it's 'over' among the cool kids and they're back to chrome or whatever else has been out of style for 20 years :p

so I think your point is valid, I'm 34 and drive/ride all German machines and so the thought of Chrome just didn't appeal to me at all and black out was the only alternative. I would have preferred body color everything or matte accents but not shiny chrome.

EDIT: seems it was no longer cool 5 years ago - https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/348oqy LOL

lkjk

Reaction score
I know night edition is a bit more than blacking stuff out, but it really feels like its a 3-4k option, can't remember, for stuff you could plasti-dip for like $50. I skipped the NE because of that, seemed like a huge premium for no reason, although i do love the look

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree with this - I can always change out the wheels and trim....I can’t cut out a sunroof or make an MFT work
Could the tailgate be replaced though? Is it just the tailgate that is different or is how it sits center-bed different as well? Certainly much easier than the sunroof.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So not sure if I should just wait, or look seriously at a Limited. I would hate to get a Limited, which is a bit more truck than I want or need, get it in July or early August, and then the MY22 come out in September with Uconnect5. But I can get a killer trade on my current truck right now. Decisions...
I would not hang your hat on UConnect5 coming out in the 22’s. There has been zero confirmation of that happening. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not until MY23.

BowDown

Reaction score
Could the tailgate be replaced though? Is it just the tailgate that is different or is how it sits center-bed different as well? Certainly much easier than the sunroof.

Not without replacing the bed from what I've read. The MFT beds are reinforced, IDK if that could be added or not but its certainly not cost effective

BowDown

Reaction score
I know night edition is a bit more than blacking stuff out, but it really feels like its a 3-4k option, can't remember, for stuff you could plasti-dip for like $50. I skipped the NE because of that, seemed like a huge premium for no reason, although i do love the look

I dont really care for it. Looks good on white trucks and the Delmonico but the blacked out wheels are a big no go for me.
I replaced the chrome mirror caps on my Limited with body color caps, I wouldn't mind a night edition grill or wrapping mine but I would go beyond that.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not without replacing the bed from what I've read. The MFT beds are reinforced, IDK if that could be added or not but its certainly not cost effective
Yup, there is extra bracing on the MFT both all along the base of the bed next to the tailgate, and then of course the two braces in the corners by the cab. I looked at a truck with MFT yesterday and ultimately decided against it. I didn't like all the extra parts. The tailgate itself (hinges) just seemed to be a lot more flimsy with the MFT as well. But, the side step to help step on the tailgate to get into the bed is a must.

fubar414

Reaction score
It's probably worth a lot more than that. For example, a loan for 72 months at 3.5% interest for $36,000 comes out to nearly $4,000 in interest. Of course this all depends on your particular variables, but for most people the 0% will be worth much more than$1250, unless I am mistaking what you guys are talking about. Or unless you are not financing very much.
yeah that's a good point, i didn't think about that...assuming 2.49%, then that's another $3,164 off... bringing my percentage off to 17%

Users who are viewing this thread