5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to the site with all available rebates I hear talked about here (military/Allstate/ etc). I am on FCA and all it is showing is the 0% financing. Thanks!

WReckeR

Reaction score
For those of you who have been following this thread for a long time, what do you consider a good discount from MSRP?

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP.
Good Discount 16% to 19%
Great Discount 20% to 24%
Amazing Discount 25% or more

I saw WReckeR post something similar awhile back.

Thoughts?
Yes. You need conditional rebates to get down to 18% -- military, Realtor, etc. The only way you go beyond 20% will move into circumstances beyond normal, which I outlined in another post. You're not going to get 20%+ on a 2021. But you can get that on a 2020 leftover, or if the dealer needs to hit his sales goal for the big bonus, or it's what they used to call a program car or a loaner or a demo. There has to be circumstances beyond your tenacious charisma.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
There are so many variable that fall into place with everyone trying to compare to each other. What you qualify for may not apply to me. Financing or not? Regional discounts play a factor. Trades always muddy the waters for price comparisons. People always say they gave me x when its really only worth y and they use that delta in the pricing assumptions.

For me, cash deal worked out to 18% and I was satisfied. I didn't qualify for anything else (but i tried). I used this thread as a tool to help me make my decision but it comes down to individual situations to maximize their discounts but that percentage comes down to what you can get, not what others were able to achieve under their situation.
Your points are valid but it seems that the major point of this whole thread is to find out what discounts people are able to get. That why "out the door pricing" is not something that is useful to this thread but is all that really matters to each individual. Knowing what percentage to shoot for is very helpful.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to the site with all available rebates I hear talked about here (military/Allstate/ etc). I am on FCA and all it is showing is the 0% financing. Thanks!
There are links to many of these rebates here in my post.

86grand

Reaction score
Your points are valid but it seems that the major point of this whole thread is to find out what discounts people are able to get. That why "out the door pricing" is not something that is useful to this thread but is all that really matters to each individual. Knowing what percentage to shoot for is very helpful.
Out the door pricing and discount off MSRP are both really useful when determining what kind of deals are out there. Location and some other things are going to determine the deal. A few factors that affected my 23.5% off included the trade value, dealer fees and that I wasn't working a deal on a black night edition that most people want right now. As others pointed out, needing to meet a quota could be another reason...my dealer wasn't really busy after all the year end deals so they probably didn't sell as many units this month.
Bottom line would be shoot for your desired discount off MSRP, but do your research here and know what overall discounts are realistic before you sit down at the dealer. Every deal is gonna have lots of moving parts, but this site should prepare everyone to make the best deals possible for their new ride

bob225

Reaction score
Agreed, just pointing out that we all can’t get the same % just because someone else did. With that said all the info is very helpful which allowed me to get 18% on a 2021 Limited.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Out the door pricing and discount off MSRP are both really useful when determining what kind of deals are out there. Location and some other things are going to determine the deal. A few factors that affected my 23.5% off included the trade value, dealer fees and that I wasn't working a deal on a black night edition that most people want right now. As others pointed out, needing to meet a quota could be another reason...my dealer wasn't really busy after all the year end deals so they probably didn't sell as many units this month.
Bottom line would be shoot for your desired discount off MSRP, but do your research here and know what overall discounts are realistic before you sit down at the dealer. Every deal is gonna have lots of moving parts, but this site should prepare everyone to make the best deals possible for their new ride
Out the door pricing is meaningless for this thread even though it is all that really matters for each individual. OTD pricing includes taxes and fees that vary greatly by state. It also can include a trade in which, while useful information in itself, is useless for this thread of figuring out percentage off MSRP.

Example of percentage off MSRP

2021 Ram 1500 Limited
MSRP $73,640

$61,119 Sale Price
$1,200 Paint and Fabric Protector and Window Etching
$150 Doc Fee
$944.31 lic/plates/title
$6,501.28 tax
$71,914.59 OTD

You must include all non government required fees in the price.
$61,119 Sale Price
$150 Doc Fee
$62,469 Total
62,469 is a 15.16% decrease of 73,640

You can then deduct rebates and incentives.
$62,469 Total
-$1,000 PenFed Rebate
-$1,500 Website Popup Rebate
New Total $59,969
59,969 is a 18.56% decrease of 73,640

You do not include any government fees or trade ins.
$944.31 lic/plates/title
$6,501.28 tax

In this example the final percentage off MSRP is 18.56%

Here is the original post from page 1.
A few members have mentioned the desire to have a price paid thread so I decided to do one and pin it here so it will be easy for everyone to find.

I think the best way to make this thread is as follows:
MSRP of the specific truck
What Rebates and incentives were applied and $ amounts
Any further negotiations
Final price

Please do not include trade in values, taxes, OTD price or anything like that as those are all variable depending on where you live etc. Rebates and incentives are also regional so also please post up where you purchased the truck and when.

Example:

2016 Ram 1500 Sport

MSRP $64,440
-$10,000 rebate from Ram
-$1000 skilled trades rebate
-$3940 additional negotiated at dealer
=$49,500 paid

Vancouver. B.C August 2016

Last edited:

86grand

Reaction score
Out the door pricing is meaningless for this thread but is all that really matters for each individual. OTD pricing includes taxes and fees that vary greatly by state. It also can include a trade in which, while useful information in itself, is useless for this thread of figuring out percentage off MSRP.

2021 Ram 1500 Limited
MSRP $73,640

$61,119 Sale Price
$150 Doc Fee
$944.31 lic/plates/title
$6,501.28 tax
$71,914.59 OTD

$61,119 Sale Price
$150 Doc Fee
$62,469 Total

$62,469 Total
-$1,000 PenFed Rebate
New Total $59,969

$944.31 lic/plates/title
$6,501.28 tax

Here is the original post from page 1.
I agree 100%. I should have worded differently than out the door pricing. I just see alot of people focused on their MSRP % without factoring in that discount can be more easily done with financing or trade in discounts or the dealer already having a dealer fee to allow the discount.

MickeyH

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dealership in North Jersey? Looking for Big Horn 1500, crew, V8 etorque , level 2 .

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Actually the out the door price vs the MSRP is very significant.
We all know the dealers can massage the number just about anyway they deem necessary to paint a pretty picture.
You want 30% off, sure, but we need to charge you $5K in doc fees and $2K for spray in bed liner.

slatersan

Reaction score
1)Anything you pay for the truck that remains with the dealership( the sales price, dealer fees, doc fees, add-ons, etc....any money that stays with the dealership) is what you paid for the truck. Subtract any and all rebates. Total that. 100-(That total/MSRP)= Your percentage off MSRP.
This is the comparable basis for price you paid for your truck vs. price someone else paid for theirs.

2)Tax, Tag, Title, orany fee that goes to a governmental agency...i.e. the dealer collects it and sends it to Uncle Sugar...is not part of what you paid for the truck directly. That is what you paid as part of the privilege of owning and operating the truck. These vary wildly based upon where you live and register the truck ( ex. Oklahoma 11.5%, Montana 0%). This does count towards total cost of ownership, but this does not count towards your % off MSRP.

3)Finance charges: these are the price you pay for the ability/privilege of not paying cash. This does count towards total cost of ownership, but this is not part of your % off MSRP.

#1 is what you paid for the truck and is the only objective metric you can use to see what you really paid 'for the truck.' It can get hazy with trades, but thats the game. #2 and #3 can be used or justified as leverage against #1, but they arent included in #1.

#1, #2, and #3(if applicable) in aggregate are all part of your 'deal' and determine how you feel about your purchase. You have to decide for yourself how you feel about your total deal, but #1 is the only fair way to compare what you paid for your truck in your state against what someone else paid for the same truck in another.

Last edited:

WReckeR

Reaction score
Interesting that you mention the black Night Edition. Granted, I was looking for the less common 6'4" bed, but the ONLY colors I could find in a Limited were white or black. No blue, no maximum steel, no granite or red. So, my conclusion was that the black and white ones were actually LESS sought after, given their dominance on the lots. Other colors turned up with I allowed for the 5'7" bed.

WReckeR

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dealership in North Jersey? Looking for Big Horn 1500, crew, V8 etorque , level 2 .
You can start by identifying all of them, using the Ram Trucks website search. You can choose a zip code, then a radius out from that zipcode. Choose a zip central to North Jersey, then set the slider for distance from. Then, enter a few of your most important options and see what anyone has. Doesn't matter if they're "good", when they don't have the truck you want. Of course, you can order instead. My opinion but either way, it takes a minute to convince any dealer you're actually serious. Once they know you are committed, then they might open up about deals.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
We all know the dealers can massage the number just about anyway they deem necessary to paint a pretty picture.
You want 30% off, sure, but we need to charge you $5K in doc fees and $2K for spray in bed liner.
The $5K in doc fees and $2K for spray in bed liner would be included in the percentage off number.

2021 Ram 1500 Limited
MSRP $73,640

$61,119 Sale Price
$150 Doc Fee
$944.31 lic/plates/title
$6,501.28 tax
$71,914.59 OTD

$61,119 Sale Price
$150 Doc Fee
$62,469 Total

$62,469 Total
-$1,000 PenFed Rebate
New Total $59,969

$944.31 lic/plates/title
$6,501.28 tax

86grand

Reaction score
Interesting that you mention the black Night Edition. Granted, I was looking for the less common 6'4" bed, but the ONLY colors I could find in a Limited were white or black. No blue, no maximum steel, no granite or red. So, my conclusion was that the black and white ones were actually LESS sought after, given their dominance on the lots. Other colors turned up with I allowed for the 5'7" bed.
Yep, there are a ton of either black or white night editions out there. That seems to be the ones people are looking for so plenty of inventory that usually goes quick. I just had a black Limited on 22s so figured if I was trading, I may as well try a different color and always loved the Longhorn interiors with the red

86grand

Reaction score
That was my point. I agree that MSRP is important, but when i got my truck and they mentioned my price i told the salesman to let his manager know that the only numbers I was concerned with were the top and bottom. They can do whatever they want in the middle as long as I pay them less money. Give me the truck for $1 and take a $50k dealer fee if you like

Last edited:

Ninjabros

Reaction score
I'm a bit curious as to why FCA lists a big horn package discount as part of the incentives. Every dealer I have asked about that said that the incentive is already included in the window sticker. They are not wrong as the sticker does show the discount but its just so misleading when FCA adds that to the total incentives. Has anyone gotten a dealer to include that? Why include that when that big horn discount is listed year round on the stickers?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    364.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Captu1re.PNG
    Captu1re.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 41

WReckeR

Reaction score
I'm a bit curious as to why FCA lists a big horn package discount as part of the incentives. Every dealer I have asked about that said that the incentive is already included in the window sticker. They are not wrong as the sticker does show the discount but its just so misleading when FCA adds that to the total incentives. Has anyone gotten a dealer to include that? Why include that when that big horn discount is listed year round on the stickers?
Look at the options included in that bundle. Then see if you can get any / all of them a la carte. If you can, then getting them all together will have a lower price. The alternative is that the next trim level down offers them individually, but on the Big Horn trim level you can only get them bundled; but they also cost less. Either way, they're saying when you get every one of the options together, it will cost you less.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
It is annoying that they sometimes include that package discount in the rebate/incentive areas. All the trucks have package discounts available. It seems most common in the Big Horn ads.

Venom700

Reaction score
I wanted to share a little more about my experience with Aaron at Mark Dodge.
Service after the sale and integrity are very important to me. Aaron has worked with me to switch my registration from a new car to transferring tags from a car I am selling; this is saving me extra time and expense from dealing with this after the fact. More importantly, when doing the deal, Aaron was unsure if I would qualify for an incentive. He said he had to do the deal minus it but would file for it after the sale and would cut me a check if it was approved. Here we are over a month after the sale and Aaron confirmed the incentive was approved and he’s cutting me a check for $500. Talk about honesty and integrity!

Users who are viewing this thread