5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
So for those ordering, how does a trade in work? If it could take 8 weeks to order your vehicle before it is delivered, isn't your trade constantly devaluing or are you required to surrender it at the time the order is placed?
I'm not trading it, but I would highly encourage you to look at selling privately. I was quoted $36k for my truck from the dealership. I said hell no and sold it this past weekend for $45k. You'll get way more for your truck, but that's as long as you're willing to deal with the hassle. Good luck either way.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
So for those ordering, how does a trade in work? If it could take 8 weeks to order your vehicle before it is delivered, isn't your trade constantly devaluing or are you required to surrender it at the time the order is placed?
Put in your trade in information at Carvana LINK and Vroom LINK to get some sample prices. Then add 8 weeks of mileage and see what the difference, if any, is. Keep in mind that Carvana and Vroom will pay you for your vehicle if the dealership offers less.

Last edited:

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
I'm not trading it, but I would highly encourage you to look at selling privately. I was quoted $36k for my truck from the dealership. I said hell no and sold it this past weekend for $45k. You'll get way more for your truck, but that's as long as you're willing to deal with the hassle. Good luck either way.

As all things, I suppose it depends on the dealership, but my Jeep isn't going to move all that fast. Privately I may get $12k out of it, so if I can get $10k from a dealership, I'd be willing to take that to not have to deal with the hassle.

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
Put in your trade in information at Carvana and Vroom to get some sample prices. Then add 8 weeks of mileage and see what the difference, if any, is.

10-4, but I'm asking from the dealers perspective. So I order a Ram at Bob's Ram, and I'm trading in my jeep - am I trading the jeep in immediately, and paying and doing the paperwork ect. that day OR do I wait for delivery before I do the paperwork and all that? I'm assuming there's a non-refundable down payment or some fee to "hold" the vehicle?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
10-4, but I'm asking from the dealers perspective. So I order a Ram at Bob's Ram, and I'm trading in my jeep - am I trading the jeep in immediately, and paying and doing the paperwork ect. that day OR do I wait for delivery before I do the paperwork and all that? I'm assuming there's a non-refundable down payment or some fee to "hold" the vehicle?
Negotiate prices now. Wait until the vehicle arrives to do paperwork and give them your trade in. There is usually a deposit required, how much varies greatly. Use a credit card in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with that. The only dealer I have thus far spoken to wants to project my trade may be worth several thousand less in 8-10 weeks when the order arrives plus cannot guarantee what rebates might be then. So I am being asked to place a non-refundable deposit on a truck the cost of which is unknown.

86grand

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with that. The only dealer I have thus far spoken to wants to project my trade may be worth several thousand less in 8-10 weeks when the order arrives plus cannot guarantee what rebates might be then. So I am being asked to place a non-refundable deposit on a truck the cost of which is unknown.
Trade values have gone down a lot over the past few months so they may level out soon but I doubt they will go back up.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Those in Florida, I still highly recommend Lakeland Ram -
Hard to beat 7% off invoice, plus incentives/rebates.
Damn, that's hard to beat. I'm getting between 5-6% off invoice. Anyone know of a dealership offering 7% or more off invoice on the west coast?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
When ordering a truck you negotiate the dealer discount and get it in writing that the dealer is not using anything in his price that will prevent you from getting any incentives/rebates when the truck arrives. You want 5 to 8% under invoice. Just before the truck arrives you look for current incentives/rebates to apply to your purchase, lowering the price even further. It is always a gamble whether offers will be better or worse.

If you are having difficulty finding low prices try some of the volume dealers listed in my post.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
When ordering a truck you negotiate the dealer discount and get it in writing that the dealer is not using anything in his price that will prevent you from getting any incentives/rebates when the truck arrives. You want 5 to 8% under invoice. Just before the truck arrives you look for current incentives/rebates to apply to your purchase, lowering the price even further. It is always a gamble whether offers will be better or worse.

If you are having difficulty finding low prices try some of the volume dealers listed in my post.

Do you know any specific contacts for the other dealerships?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You trade your current vehicle when you take delivery of the new one. I guess maybe you could try to negotiate trading now. Very few dealers will guarantee a trade price 2 or 3 months in advance, unless it is only worth a few thousand.

The non-refundable deposit would be a non-starter for me.

Mastabob5

Reaction score
You wouldnt have to surrender your vehicle until you took delivery of your new order. I would think that they would just give you a price for your trade in at time of order.

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
I do apologize ahead of time for asking so many questions, but as I have never had a vehicle built in two and a half decades of driving, and have only purchased one new - I'll have to ask you to bare with me... and please correct anything I'm mistaken on

So as I understand things (combining what I've garnered here and from other threads):

I'll use Mastabob's as an example since it's above this post for easy access:
2021 Ram 1500 BH 4x4, eTorque Hemi, Night Edition, Premium Lighting, Lvl 2 (I priced Crew Cab with 5'7" box) gives me an

MSRP: $47,020 (per Ramtrucks.com)

So now that I have my MSRP in hand, a quick search shows I'm not employed by an affiliate (local government), so I join access fund or tread lightly.
Mass email local dealers with my specs and await their pricing.
Do the legwork to verify what rebates, incentives I may be entitled to
Once build cost has been determined and agreed upon, get everything in writing - realistic aim should be 16-19% below MSRP
Now discuss trade in value for current vehicle - if they're being transparent, this should have nothing to do with the above mentioned
Place hold amount on vehicle (recommended with credit card)
Await delivery and trade in vehicle at that time.

What have I missed, or misunderstood?

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I do apologize ahead of time for asking so many questions, but as I have never had a vehicle built in two and a half decades of driving, and have only purchased one new - I'll have to ask you to bare with me... and please correct anything I'm mistaken on

So as I understand things (combining what I've garnered here and from other threads):

2021 Ram 1500 BH 4x4, eTorque Hemi, Night Edition, Premium Lighting, Lvl 2 (I priced Crew Cab with 5'7" box) gives me an

So now that I have my MSRP in hand, a quick search shows I'm not employed by an affiliate (local government), so I join access fund or tread lightly.
Once build cost has been determined and agreed upon, get everything in writing - realistic aim should be 16-19% below MSRP
Now discuss trade in value for current vehicle - if they're being transparent, this should have nothing to do with the above mentioned

Sounds like you have it down. I'd just be sure you keep your communication to email only until you get everything you're looking for. Just my two cents.

Iceman6960

Reaction score

Something seems off on your MSRP calculation (I believe the Ram site may have already included available incentives in that price of $47k)? Truck you detailed should be $52k-$53k MSRP (including destination). Base is $43k + Night package $2k + Level 2 package $2.5k + Etorque $2k + Destination $1.7k + Lighting package $1k = Total of about $53k +/-.

I basically have the same truck (w/o lighting pkg) and my MSRP was $52k.

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
Yeah, it apparently did.

2021 National Retail Consumer Cash $1500
Retail Bonus Cash $2500
Chrysler Capital Bonus Cash $500
and Mid-Atlantic Chrysler Capital Bons $750

so $5250 in incentives

Attachments

• summary.pdf
    323.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: