5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

kwbuxton

Reaction score
Always ask for the Priced Order Confirmation early in the process. If the sales person will not provide it, move on to another dealer. View attachment 79944
The invoice on this POC is $48,082. The "HB" stands for Hold Back. That is what the dealer gets back from the manufacturer when they sell the vehicle. So... if you buy below invoice, they are NOT losing money. I would always start negotiation at the FFP (Friends and Family Price). Which is about 1.5% below invoice. You start there and THEN you get the rebates that may be available at that time. In this case, I started $47,676, got $4,000 in rebates, which took it down to $43,082, then the trade, and financed at 0% for 60 months. The MSRP of $51,005 was mentioned maybe once throughout the entire process. My dealer here in Wisconsin laid this all out for me without any pushback. I would highly recommend this dealership and salesperson to anyone looking for a Dodge, Ram, or Jeep. This is the second vehicle I have purchased from them. It is worth the drive to their dealership. If you ask for the POC, you will get it right away.
By-the-way, the car dealer is: https://www.reedchrysler.com/
The Sales person I work with is Greg Auten
They are located in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

AK103

Reaction score
I’m seeing a 0% financing offer on the RAM website for Limited and Longhorns but I’m guessing that option wouldn’t tie in with the $2000 cash incentive. It’s probably one or the other unfortunately.

Yes, it's one or the other.
Unless it says 0% plus up to whatever cash allowance.
It looks like there's a $500 cash allowance with 0% for financing with Chrysler Capital currently.
So 0% plus $500.

Or $2000 in cash allowance if you don't take the 0%.

redneck

Reaction score
just ordered a 2021 longhorn 4x4 every option except bifold tailgate & off road package MSRP 73,530 got them down to 62,979+ttt and they lowered their dealer fee $600 to match the other dealers near by and i get the available rebates at time of delivery so im hope its closer to the 60k mark

obrien

Reaction score
Having an 850 credit score, the best I could get from Chrysler was 4.38%. I am refinancing with Navy Federal at 2.19% and applying a down payment when I do. The 1 month of interest at the full purchase price does deflate the $500 rebate for financing with Chrysler, but it was simpler to do it this way since I was not actually onsite with the dealer.

Regarding the Tread Lightly discount, I never asked because I don't have it and wouldn't qualify. I asked Lakeland about it when I was price checking because I was told that I would get the best price using it at their dealership. When I was contacted by Mark Dodge, the price they provided was better than what Lakeland offered with that discount so I never tried stacking additional. I was happy with my deal.
wow 4.38% with 850 credit looks really bad IMHO. I got offered 2.54% with 770 credit from Chrysler partner Credit Union and I still refinance with another lander after 1 months who offered 1.85%. Both for 66 monhts.

Even Chase bank offered 3.3% and they are rarely competitive..

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
wow 4.38% with 850 credit looks really bad IMHO. I got offered 2.54% with 770 credit from Chrysler partner Credit Union and I still refinance with another lander after 1 months who offered 1.85%. Both for 66 monhts.

Even Chase bank offered 3.3% and they are rarely competitive..
That's because the dealer added on 2 points to the loan to increase their profits over time. Dealers can manipulate the loan percentage up and down. If the bank comes back with 2%, the dealer can charge you 4% and makes residual income each month until the loan is paid. Always better to get your own loan, or understand how the game is played and negotiate the loan % with your dealer ;)

Last edited:

obrien

Reaction score
That's because the dealer added on 2 points to the loan to increase their profits over time. Dealers can manipulate the loan percentage up and down. If the bank comes back with 2%, the dealer can charge you 4% and makes residual income each month the loan is paid. Always better to get your own loan, or understand how the game is played and negotiate the loan % with your dealer ;)
Crazy :-D For everyone be aware that you have 30 days to do as many credit checks as you want (for car loans) and it is counted as only one. Do shop around and do refinance :) it is a good time to get a loan as rates are really low

Venom700

Reaction score
The rates can vary for sure. For me it was most important to work with a straightforward dealer and sales manager. This is why I went with Mark Dodge as opposed to local DC dealers.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bank of America is offering a 60 month loan at 2.59%. Because of my account standing, I get .5% discount for 2.09%, but they don't consider the car new anymore. Because it's now a refi, the rate is 2.99%. Navy Federal is still at 2.19%. I also looked at USAA and they were 2.89%. Checking PenFed and multiple other banks, it doesn't look like anybody is offering better than 2.19% for 60 months. I did notice some variation in percentage dependent on the state you live in, but the difference isn't worth the $2.80/month ($165 in 5 years) in payment.

I knew I was refinancing immediately, so I didn't care if they came in at 10%. Unfortunately, I delayed my refinance by 3 weeks due to allowing the BMW sale $$ to temporarily be used for something else. I bought my truck on November 30th and I signed the loan docs today to pay off Chrysler Capital this week.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
My wife got a “new” auto loan on her 2017 Nissan Rogue when she refinanced a few months ago somehow...

I got 2.26% or so for 72 months from a local credit union

obrien

Reaction score
UFCU (credit union) in Austin, Tx offers 1.65% for up to 48m and 1.95% for up to 66m (assuming credit is good) and all you have to do is open saving account with $5 deposit.

STI_MECE

Reaction score
Okay, so I put a deposit on a 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 with a 5'-7" box. It had the Bighorn Level 1 upgrade with the 8.4inch screen, storage bin in the rear and rubber floor mats. Only had 20 miles when I took it for a test drive. And it has the upgraded rims I think they are 20 inch wheels? It has the 275/55r20.

In texas, vehicles have a 6.25% tax rate, and I had to talk them down from 1895 to 1645 on dealer add-ons. I was able to get a spray in bed liner at no additional charge.

Drive out price was $38,734.99

No it wasn't my laramie that I wanted with leather and the nicer headlights but I could not justify the price I was Gunna pay for it.

I got what I needed and since I was under budget I'm using that money to have them install a 33 gallon fuel tank. I should have a price back from them on Wednesday for it.

I feel like I got a good price on it even though I still had to hand over 1645 for the damn add on crap which really chaps my *** BIG TIME. I tried everything I could to get them to remove it.

What do you guys think? Did I over pay? Don't be too blunt for my own sanity. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay, so I put a deposit on a 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 with a 5'-7" box. It had the Bighorn Level 1 upgrade with the 8.4inch screen, storage bin in the rear and rubber floor mats. Only had 20 miles when I took it for a test drive. And it has the upgraded rims I think they are 20 inch wheels? It has the 275/55r20.

In texas, vehicles have a 6.25% tax rate, and I had to talk them down from 1895 to 1645 on dealer add-ons. I was able to get a spray in bed liner at no additional charge.

Drive out price was $38,734.99

No it wasn't my laramie that I wanted with leather and the nicer headlights but I could not justify the price I was Gunna pay for it.

I got what I needed and since I was under budget I'm using that money to have them install a 33 gallon fuel tank. I should have a price back from them on Wednesday for it.

I feel like I got a good price on it even though I still had to hand over 1645 for the damn add on crap which really chaps my *** BIG TIME. I tried everything I could to get them to remove it.

What do you guys think? Did I over pay? Don't be too blunt for my own sanity. Lol

Welcome and happy to share thoughts, but we are missing several key pieces of information. What was the MSRP and what was the invoice...you did ask to see the invoice correct? What did you pay BEFORE tax, title, tags and dealer fee? To keep @Silent Bob happy, what was your dealer fee? Without these numbers...no one can answer your questions;)

What were the add-on's they forced down your throat for $1645? Sounds like a TON of money they suckered you into if you ask me. Trust me, you payed for that bed liner...

STI_MECE

Reaction score
The MSRP was $47,400. The price before dealer fees & TTL was 34,421. The dealer fee was $1645. And no I did not ask for an invoice.

The add ons included Tint, wheel locks, GPS tracker, and nitrogen air filled tires. The original price of the dealer fees was 1895. So I countered with okay take 250 off the dealer add on fees and throw in a spray in bed liner.

Hell I told them I would pay cash for the truck if they just took the 1985 off completely. I could not get anywhere with it and I have tried getting about 4 dealerships to remove it or lower the sales price of the truck none of them budge.

This has come up since the start of covid and i have seen the prices range from 1985 up to 3k. I know why they do it because it looks better on the front end.

STI_MECE

Reaction score
Yes you are correct roughly 24% off MSRP.

I should pick it up Wednesday. Since I came in under budget I am going to consider taking the extra funds and upgrade to a 33 gallon tank.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a quick question here. I'm interested in the TTL (and doc fee). tax in Illinois is 7.25% I believe. title and license is around $300. how much is this doc fee? Edit: this is a rhetorical question... please read it as how is this doc fee so high!?

1611076602699.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread