5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Build Sheet Example - You should always ask for this.

FWP - Invoice
HB - Holdback
FFP - Friends & Family Price - Invoice minus 1% plus $75
EP - Employee Price - Invoice minus 5% plus $200

Attachments

• Invoice.png
    Invoice.png
    95 KB · Views: 83

diyram

Reaction score
Some here think the only good deals are 20%+ off. However, the circumstances to get that are like stars aligning. It isn't typical; not because the dealers are being stingy or the customer isn't savvy enough. Rather, it's a combination of programs for us and incentives/strategies at the dealer. The ideal situation for me would be a Mark Dodge order, and 0% financing when it arrives. But we cannot predict when that will be offered.
I hear that.. trying to get 17-18% off MSRP 64k-65k Limited around here is like pulling teeth, even on 2020’s left over.

I am starting to look at the slightly used market but when you factor in going from 0% to 3% makes it hard to pull the trigger.

WReckeR

Reaction score
I hear that.. trying to get 17-18% off MSRP 64k-65k Limited around here is like pulling teeth, even on 2020’s left over.

I am starting to look at the slightly used market but when you factor in going from 0% to 3% makes it hard to pull the trigger.
At the moment though, 0% isn't available. It may not be. But if it does turn up again, the chance that you timed an order to coincide with its arrival is slim. So it's better to buy off the lot at that time. You really have to decide how married you are to your favorite color and options.

Mohab

Reaction score
I do not, I'm in the medical field.

But the deal I got isn't a special one time deal.
It's a promo Lakeland runs on orders.
I can give you the sales managers contact info I dealt with.
AK103
Can you please send me the salesman you dealt with, I am east Tampa are lakeland ideal for me

Granite2WD

Reaction score
This thread is helpful but sometimes frustrating when people use it to just brag about their deal. Without details about trade-in and financing, if applicable for both, it's just not a complete picture and can be misleading.

If you are agreeing to a trade-in value or financing deal that favors the dealer, they are going to be happy to give you a bigger discount on the new vehicle price. In fact, in my experience, this is a common tactic they use.

I don't know the answer as to how to make this thread more helpful for everyone, but I think an improvement would include regularly updated info on rebates including how to qualify, which dealers are making deals, and other current ways to save like BonusDrive or the coupon from Ram's website.

This is not in response to any one person's post, regardless of the timing of my post.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Trade in should have no bearing when comparing pricing vs MSRP as it is very subjective and no consistency from dealer to dealer. Besides, none of our trades are the exact same vehicle.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Trade in should have no bearing when comparing pricing vs MSRP as it is very subjective and no consistency from dealer to dealer. Besides, none of our trades are the exact same vehicle.
I see your point but it would be helpful if people even generalized their trade-in values as good or bad or even great. Especially when people are trading in expensive trucks, it absolutely is part of the equation. The same with financing especially if there is a lot of money financed.

I recognize that no trade is the same but I think some people are getting hyperfocused on the percentage off MSRP and there can be thousands of dollars on the table to negotiate with trade-in and financing.

I'm only writing this to try and help people get better deals as I love cars and hate most car salesmen. I would love for greater transparency when buying a car and look forward to the day when you can buy these trucks online from the manufacturer instead of through a middle-man that often barely knows the product and is just trying to take advantage of you in a variety of ways.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a question on ordering a new unit. Does the incentives (other than financing) kind of locked in when you order the vehicle or are you stuck with whatever incentives are avaiable at that time?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a question on ordering a new unit. Does the incentives (other than financing) kind of locked in when you order the vehicle or are you stuck with whatever incentives are avaiable at that time?

You are stuck with whatever is available at time of delivery.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
If you are agreeing to a trade-in value or financing deal that favors the dealer, they are going to be happy to give you a bigger discount on the new vehicle price. In fact, in my experience, this is a common tactic they use.
Always make your best deal and then let them know you have a trade in.

Negotiate for the best deal first. Then tell them you have decided to do a trade in. That way you know how much they are really offering for your trade in. You can then check with some of the other dealers to see if they can beat the offer.

Last edited:

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are stuck with whatever is available at time of delivery.

Is this different from State to State? The dealer I've bought my last 2 vehicles says I can get what's current when I order but if change for better when vehicle arrives I can get those added benefits. Other dealer just said he can't predict the future incentives and hasn't said if the latter is true.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so to start the discussion as mentioned above, here was my deal.

2021 Ram Rebel 4x4, 5.7L, Crew Cab, Rebel 12, Rebel Package 2, etc
MSRP - $59,765
Known discounts - $500 Chrysler Financing and $1500 Consumer pop up coupon, and $9500 dealer discount.
Sold Price - $48,255 (19.26% discount from MSRP. Does not include Additional Fees listed below)
Trade In - $0
Cash Down - $0 (will be refinancing with Navy Federal this month)
Additional Fees (not included in above price) - $200 doc fee, $4 temp tag, $15 Notary Fee

My purchase was made from Mark Dodge in St Charles, Louisiana. I could not get this same discount at Lakeland Dodge, even with the Tread Lightly discount, so my price was already higher there before the mandatory dealer fee of $899. In this economy, I would rather give the dealer fee cost to a shipping company, or travel to get the truck myself. I think I was only able to get 13% total off, plus dealer fee.

This might help in understanding the deal I received with all discounts and trade variable

WReckeR

Reaction score

MSRP - $59,765
Known discounts - $500 Chrysler Financing and $1500 Consumer pop up coupon, and $9500 dealer discount.
Sold Price - $48,255 (19.26% discount from MSRP. Does not include Additional Fees listed below)
Trade In - $0
Additional Fees (not included in above price) - $200 doc fee, $4 temp tag, $15 Notary Fee

My purchase was made from Mark Dodge in St Charles, Louisiana. I could not get this same discount at Lakeland Dodge, even with the Tread Lightly discount, so my price was already higher there before the mandatory dealer fee of $899. In this economy, I would rather give the dealer fee cost to a shipping company, or travel to get the truck myself. I think I was only able to get 13% total off, plus dealer fee.

This might help in understanding the deal I received with all discounts and trade variable
Scott,
Are you willing to disclose the finance rate you got from Chrysler Capital?

Abelfard

Reaction score

MSRP - $59,765
Trade In - $0

Were you able to use Tread Lightly along with everything else at Mark Dodge?

STI_MECE

Reaction score
How many of guys here go between dealers to compete for your business? I would assume all. Is it just me but when did dealers start adding "dealer add-ons"? I have bought 4 vehicles in 2 years, and this did not come about until looking for a Ram 1500. Did this start becoming more obvious with COVID? I know why they are doing it, they show a "lower" sales price of truck on the web, then you go into the dealer and then the include the dealer add-ons, and you are basically at the same spot as other dealerships who DO NOT charge for add-ons.

I am trying to get into a 2021 Laramie Crew Cab 4x2 for no more than 40k drive out price, in Houston Texas. I am not trading in a vehicle.

The add-on portion has screwed up my negotiations because you have to separate the dealers that do the add-on and don't do the add-on. And every flipping dealership says you need to bring their offer in on paper, but that dealer will never give you the sheet.

This was easy as pie before COVID, does anyone have any new hat tricks?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
The add-on portion has screwed up my negotiations because you have to separate the dealers that do the add-on and don't do the add-on. And every flipping dealership says you need to bring their offer in on paper, but that dealer will never give you the sheet.
Do your negotiation by email first. You will then have each dealers offer in printable form. Emails probably will not cut it if you are trying to use some formal dealership price match policy.

dartbrooks

Reaction score
How many of guys here go between dealers to compete for your business? I would assume all. Is it just me but when did dealers start adding "dealer add-ons"? I have bought 4 vehicles in 2 years, and this did not come about until looking for a Ram 1500. Did this start becoming more obvious with COVID? I know why they are doing it, they show a "lower" sales price of truck on the web, then you go into the dealer and then the include the dealer add-ons, and you are basically at the same spot as other dealerships who DO NOT charge for add-ons.

I am trying to get into a 2021 Laramie Crew Cab 4x2 for no more than 40k drive out price, in Houston Texas. I am not trading in a vehicle.

This was easy as pie before COVID, does anyone have any new hat tricks?
Call Aaron Ginsberg at Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. They are 2 hours from you. Aaron's phone number is 318-792-1220. His email is [email protected]. When I bought my Laramie from them they didn't have any add-ons and the price was better than any other dealership in the country that I could find.

NJT3

Reaction score
Holy frack, just got off phone with FCA incentives like banging my head at a brick wall with broken glass embedded in it.

Hi can you give me what incentives I qualify for....
Well let's see you qualify for this one here oh I see you qualify for that one.... Hmm and maybe....
Can you tell me what they are I can't see your screen...
Can you tell me the pricing and the code I can't see your screen.

Can you just do your job!

I got nothing out of it other than there is something called bonus bucks for $250 which may or may not be the code 44cmk1

Users who are viewing this thread